1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lord of the Rings/Quenta Silmarillion

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Shadowcouncil, May 9, 2001.

1. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I read Lord of the Rings 2 years ago and my first expression was: Cool book, cool story. A year later I read ik again. So I started to get more interested in the Tolkien-world and however friends told be it was not easy and boring, I read the Quenta Silmarillion. And I realy loved it, for this book was in my opinion even better then LOTR. This book shows that Tolkien was not only a good stroywriter but he was MASTER.

Right, that's all my opinion but what I want to tell you is that after reading the Silmarillion, The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings are even ten times better, it makes the book different even better. There are many things in LOTR that you now understand or that are more clear. And you understand the songs about the old times, the first time I read the book I didn't understand were they were about so I didn't like them.

So my advice to all, read the Silmarillion (in the beginning, it's not easy and maybe not very interesting but after all you'll see it's worth reading it) and then read Lord of the Rings again.

Then you'll see Tolkien didn't create a story he created a world!

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I've tried to read Silmarillion, but I found the language very hard to read. I will try again, after finnishing the Wheel of Time series. Have to read LOTR again soon too.

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Okay! I advice to read the Silmarillion first. In the begin, it's hard and you have to use the list of names that's included, but you will realy find out it's worth it, the book gives sooooo much information and there are also very good and emotional stories in it.... Some exampels, what you learn:

- Who Gandalf realy is
    - Why Elves and Dwarves have problems with each other
    - Who Elrond is,
    - You learn about the 3 elvenrings, the 9 rings (black riders) the 7 dwarvenrings, the one ring.

Also interesting is the creating of the world, about Valinor, the ainur, the maia etc... it realy gives you a different view on the whole world Tolkien created.

4. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Mollusken

Good luck finishing the Wheel of Time. Reckon if you're lucky the 10th will end it in about 18 months.... :(

Not sad it might end, just think it should have done round about book 6!

I'd suggest that the Silmarillion is in truth only for those who have already read LOTR. You need an interest in Middle Earth before you start otherwise very hard going I would have thought.

I've read it a couple of times, and treat it I suppose a little like a history book to give background to the greatest story ever told. Must read LOTR again this summer.

[This message has been edited by Viking (edited May 09, 2001).]

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Headbanger,

I would disagree. Reading the hobbit first is much better for most. It's easier to get into the story. I read the hobbit when I was 10 and there is no way a ten year old would read the Silmarillion and like it. After I had read the hobbit and LotR twice I did read the Silmarillion and I agree the later reading were better, but this did not happen until college.

If you enjoyed the Silmarillion and thought it helped you understand the songs and stories in LotR better you should also read the lost Tales and the Unfinished Tales. These books add even more to the stories of the world of Middle Earth.

6. I read the hobbit first and really got a taste for the Tolkien world. Then I read LOTR and waht can I say, WOW great book....
    By that time I was addicted to this stuff and if you are like me you will probably look at silmarillion like the bible of this world.

It's not for everyone as it is written in a different language than LOTR. This is probably because J.R.R. Tolkien never intended it to be a book, but as background stories for himself when he wrote LOTR. All the background work he went through just proves that is the ultimate writer.
    Ultimately his son or nephew Cristoffer Tolkien(I don't remember which) edited the book and tied all these stories together and made Silmarillion for all those who just can't get enough...

7. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] The Hobbit is too much of a childrens books. Can't stand to read it again. It really is no good.

8. Voltric Gems: 19/31

The hobbit is a book readable by younger reader but that does not make it a kids books. It is part of a greater world and a valuable section of the Red Book. It is far from 'no good'. Why do you feel that way?

9. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Has anyone read any other Tolkein books? (I.E. not The Hobbit, LOTR or the Silmarillion). I was just wondering whether they are any good.

10. Avooch Dar Guest

i read unfinished tales and the tales of middle earth............but haven't finished either

11. The Wise The Grey Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

How about Mr. Bliss?

Leaf and Niggle (or something to that effect)?

The Adventures of Tom Bombadil? (A book of short stories and poems.)

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight? Tolkien was a co-author of this book. The only version I've ever found was written in what I believe to be Celtic, but I could be wrong about that. I remember reading a shortened version of this story in high school. I'd like to find Tolkien's rendition of this if it's written in pure English.

Understand that Tolkien wrote children's books before he wrote his Middle Earth saga. The childishness of The Hobbit is a hang-over of sorts from this style. But, I love it, nonetheless. It makes for a unique charm that can't be found anywhere else. It's been a decade now, since I first read it, and I'm looking forward to reading it aloud to my child/children if and when they come along.

12. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Well I agree with what some of you say; you shouldn't start with The Silmarillion. You should start with The Hobbit and then with LOTR. Silmarillion is only worth reading when you found those 2 books very interesting and you want to read them again.

13. Elessar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I found the Simarillion to be awesome. I read it almost 20 years ago and have re-read it every few years along with tLoTR. Once you appreciate Tolkien's style of writing and see the depth then the Silmarillion is an invaluable resource and wealth of imagination.

To the fellow that hated the Hobbit: I can see where you come from in that it is a child's tale but; what is wrong with children's tales? There is plenty of references in the book for the adult and when I read it I was young enough to enjoy it as a child. Now I enjoy reading it to my kids.

14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Elessar, that's what I also mean yes, you first have to read LOTR first, to found out the Silmarillion to be interesting, and when you read the Silmarillion, you'll see LOTR is even more interesting, and so you can keep going on, it's just a visious circle :)

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited May 14, 2001).]

15. jester1137 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Tolkien actualy did intend the simillrilion to be a book, he had been working on it for 7-8 years when he died...hehe dustjacket from my copy of LOTR published in the late 60's says he hoped to have it out in 71...but as we all know that didn't happen, he passed on, and his son christopher finished it up.

16. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Well it's not really a "one-story-book" but a book with more stories in the old ages. There is indeed a line in the stoeries but it had to be a book with much short stories that gives background-information on the other books.

[This message has been edited by Headbanger (edited May 24, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.