1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

LoTR *many spoilers*

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by gollum, Dec 20, 2001.

1. gollum Banned

[​IMG] If you have not seen it see it ! the only down side was the shreek of the dark riders was to loude. *****

2. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Good that means that i may get an adrinaline rush!

One question, does arwen feature in the 1st movie, cos if she does then i'll be majorly pissed off cos she doesn't feature until the second book!

3. Xenecor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Sniper... surprisingly enough... Arwen didn't have a major role in the movie. I was very concerned that they would play up her role for public appeal but it wasn't NEARLY as overwhelming as I had feared it would be.. No need to be pissed :D

Gollum: There are two other threads on this subject. You shouldn't open a new one when there is already 2 of the same topics already open.

http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum7/HTML/001382.html
    http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum7/HTML/001407.html

[This message has been edited by Xenecor (edited December 21, 2001).]

4. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Sniper, I think you are a little confused. Arwen is not in the second novel at all. Or did you mean book as in part 2 of 6. I was worried she would have a large role and I love Glorfinal, so I was upset they cut him out. She shouldn't be in the second movie at all and only at the end of the third. i.e. she doesn't appear until book 6 and only at the end. I hope the movies reflect this.

As for the cry of the dark riders it was great. A real wale.

5. gollum Banned

Voltric it was good but very loud

6. Xenecor Gems: 10/31

Gollum: I would blame the cinema volume.. not the movie itself

7. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] Going to see it tommarow night! Goin to see it tommarow night!!

8. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Voltric, i have the trilogy as in
    Book 1 = The coming of the fellowship
    Book 2 = The twin towers
    Book 3 = Return of the king (or somethign like that)

And Isn't Arwen Theodens daughter? and doesn't she fight and kill the black rider? Hell, i havn't read the book in acouple of months so my memory is weakened...

9. Rhythm Gems: 11/31

Veteran

[​IMG] Arwen? Theoden's daughter?!

Sniper... somebody's gonna snipe you someday if you keep this up :toofar:

But seriously, Arwen is the daughter of Elrond. Theoden didn't have any daughters. I think you meant Eowyn, Theoden's niece, or sister-daughter.

10. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Who, by the way, didn't kill the nazgûl, she only fought it.

11. We are going to see LOTR in January.(we live in Estonia,that means in Europe)*sniffs*My dad told that when they visited his restaurant they saw few guys sleeping near the cinema to get LOTR tickets.

When i saw Harry Potter, i were totally disappointed. They SCREWED it up.

12. Rhythm Gems: 11/31

Veteran

Umm, Eowyn did kill the Witch-King, not Merry, I believe. To quote from the book:

But suddenly he (the Chief Nazgul) too stumbled forward with a cry of bitter pain, and his stroke went wide, driving into the ground. Merry's sword had stabbed him from behind, shearing through the black mantle, and passing up beneath the hauberk had pierced the sinew behind his mighty knee...

...Then tottering, struggling up, with her (Eowyn) last strength she drove her sword between crown and mantle, as the great shoulders bowed before her... ...and a cry went up... ... a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up, and was never heard again in that age of this world.

This statement clearly states that Eowyn dealt the final blow to the Witch-King, Chief of the Nazgul, and not Meriadoc Brandybuck, he just assisted her.

[This message has been edited by Rhythm (edited December 22, 2001).]

13. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31

Ah! but without Merry stabbing the nazgul with the sword that Tom (the funnyiest one in the whole story) gave him, she would not have been able to kill him/it, so technicaly Merry killed him/it

[This message has been edited by Spudsquisher (edited December 22, 2001).]

14. Namuras Gems: 13/31

I have to disagree there, the one who dealt the last blow killed it. ;)

So, I looked it up in my Swedish translation, and it goes like this: "...raglande rätade han upp sig och med uppbjudande av sin sista styrka drev han sin klinga mitt mellan kronan och manteln..."
    which would be "...then tottering, struggling up, with his last strength he drove his sword between crown and mantle..."

It's obviously a translation error, and therefore no wonder that I got it wrong. Eowyn does indeed kill the nazgûl.

[This message has been edited by Namuras (edited December 22, 2001).]

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] How about consenting that they both killed it together? The point is that the Witch-King was prophesized to be killable by no man. (He being finally killed by a woman and a hobbit, thus the prophecy held true.)

And I'm pretty sure it is mentioned later on in connection with this prophecy that the Witch-King met his doom by the blades of a woman and a hobbit.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited December 22, 2001).]

16. Khazar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] I have to agree that they both killed it.

I thought the film was amazing and it was nearly all how I pictured it.

But what happened to Bilbo in Rivendell when he tried to take the ring from Frodo was a bit of a shock...
    ... especially when he grew sharp teeth and his eyes popped out of his head.

The screech of the Dark riders was a bit too loud.

By the way what was Lurtz all about?

Boromir was found by the rest, dead, with goblin arrows in him, (not shot a point blank by an oversized bald gorrila) and his horn was cloven in two (it was still in one piece when they put him in the boat).

Otherwise it was a masterpiece and everone should see it!

17. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Yeah, the changes that come over Bilbo and later Galadriel when tempted by the ring are great bits of cinematography.
    And one reason why the film is unsuitable for most under 8s, who like good people to be always good and not get killed.

18. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

My Thoughts on this movie was the effects were great, the casting well done, but for someone like me who has never read the books, it felt like stuff was missing.

*spoiler*
    *The Black Riders and the water was not really explained hubby had to explain to me.

He also noted several other peices of plot that i had to ask about. I think if you have read the book it makes the movie a bit easier to follow.

19. Xenecor Gems: 10/31

Erran: The vision of Bilbo in Rivendell is exactly why it's only meant for certain audiences. I took my daughter, who is 4 years old and familiar with the Hobbit... and she was not pleased about Bilbo looking "Scary". She was content on believing that it was just NOT the same guy as the one in her cartoon who is Sweet and nice (except "when he plays with the spiders and Sting" :p)

[This message has been edited by Xenecor (edited December 23, 2001).]

20. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

There were some other things in the movie not totally in line with the book.
    For instance the "incident" at the broken stairway in the mines of Moria. Why would they have made that up ?
    Secondly, the ending with Frodo, after fleeing from Boromir, speaking with Aragorn before heading unto the boats. Baffled me.
    It's just not that I would prefer a complete exact translation of the book into a movie, but I have always thought the "running away" of Frodo without letting anyone know (except for Sam who figured it out Frodo heading for the boats) was quite essential.
    Thirdly, the opening of the doors at the Mines of Moria, with Frodo "accidently" saying Mellon, while in the book Gandalf after calling himself a fool and laughing about his idiocy opened the stone doors by saying Mellon. Why they would have changed that ?

Don't get me wrong, if really really enjoyed the movie, seen it thrice now. Hell after the first time I saw it I even dreamed about it. I Think they've done an especially terrific job on the Balrug () and the transformation of Galadriel after Frodo offered her the Ring.
    It's just that I wonder why they would have changed or added to the original story.

[This message has been edited by Asmodeus (edited December 23, 2001).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.