1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Lots of money, right off the bat

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by the assassin, Jul 21, 2002.

1. the assassin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Is this considered cheating? Using a bard with a potion of master thievry, stealing and selling back? I stole 18 Mace+2s, and sold them for 13500 once out of the Irenicus' lab. I felt like I was abusing the skill, so I stopped. I seem to feel guilty after stealing too many items. Also, save game editors make me feel guilty, like I didn't deserve it. I only used the editor to get items that don't affect the game, like the shadow thief cloak. It seems so damn cool!

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I don't think it is cheating exactly but it is like using lots of traps over and over to kill dragons and the fake talk tactic sort of thing.

I only use savegame editors to change colours of characters, and look through stuff, never to get stuff, well almost never... okay I did twice.:nono::cry:

3. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Save Game editors? Oh don't get me started, they're nothing compared to the dreaded and feared IEEP, with the Item and Spell maker. They are...so...damn...Addictive!
    :p

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Using the potions sounds like a legit way of doing it to me.

I just speed up your process of using pickpocketing.

I use shadowkeeper to give myself 9,000,000 bucks.

5. Magus Dregoth Anaraque Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

CLUAConsole:AddGold("999999999999999999999999999999999999999") works well also. :grin:

6. shadows Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

i never cheat t get gold... i steal it... like assasin did or o go to the merchant in trademeet and steal all there stuff and sell it and steall it back and repeat. i have 200,000 gp at the moment ...all made legitamatly. and tht is after blowing alot on armor and weapons . . .i bought them for the fun of it... im a conpulsive buyer when i get large sums of cash needing to be spent

7. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Almost makes you pity the poor shopkeepers, doesn't it? I mean, if they can't recognize their own stuff after you've stolen it even once they've got problems; but twice, now I think the Cowled Wizards should be along to put them in a nice padded cell somewhere. Clearly not a bug exploit/cheat. No, no. Not at all. Honest. ;)

8. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

That's weak. As has been stated, the shopkeeper would notice his 18 maces are missing and here you come selling him 18 maces. Ok.
    Just CLUA in the money. (see above) It's faster, easier, more effective, and still cheating!

9. Hardcase Von Crudd Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Anybody notice how easy the Shadow Thieves are to steal from?
    I cleaned out their guild while I was exploring it - pickpockets, traps, chests, shopkeepers, the lot! No cheating necessary.

It seems funny that the thieves are the easiest people to steal from.
    Now Bernard in the Copper Coronet - watch out for him! He's got eyes like a hawk. He'll catch you every time.

10. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

It is not cheating.
    You could call it bug exploit because the shopkeeper would notice in real life. It's not really a bug though.
    The only real reason not to do it is roleplaying.

11. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Using a bug exploit is not cheating? Really? That's like Bill Clinton saying that getting head isn't sex.
    Play the game the way you want. But please, don't make excuses for it.

12. StressedE Gems: 15/31

Cheating is doing things not possible according to gamerules, for instance SK, clua console.
    Bug exploit is doing things which aren't meant to be possible but are because of a program error.

This is possible according to gamerules, so it's not cheating. We could have a long talk wether or not this is bug exploit because technically this isn't really a bug, but I have no interest in that.

If anyone thinks the term cheating is something different enlighten me please.

13. Sirdan Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Exploiting bugs is a cheat.

This thing (stealing 18 maces and selling them back) is not a bug.

Just it is not possible
    • In real life
    • In PnP AD&D

Whether you call it cheating or not it is up to you. I personally don't use it, because I just find it quite unrealistic.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2017
  14. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

Cheat. Cheese. Call it what you want. It's a lame way to play the game. There is gold aplenty to be had and all it takes is a little work.
    If you are satisfied playing this way, then have at it.

15. StressedE Gems: 15/31

Hmm, I guess you guys are right. Abusing bug exploit is cheating.
    (I was referring to the linguistical definition, not to the player value)

@Jack Funk: I have never sold anything I stole from a shop in this game, so I am not trying to make excuses for it.

16. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] I used the safegame editor, to get Melicamp the chicken back! He was in my pocket during the whole BG1 game, and I just had to have him in BG2.

I think the steal sell thingie is not considered cheating... :evil:

17. Aft Foreward Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Here's a question, would it be considered as cheating if you stole the stuff, then went to a different shop and sold it? Also, wouldn't the shop keepers be told what items have been stolen in other shops?

[ August 06, 2002, 20:32: Message edited by: Aft Foreward ]

18. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I don't think it would be cheating, but is it in line with your character? A LG character, like a paladin, wouldn't steal whereas a NG character (think Robin Hood) would, if necessary.

I came across an instance where I couldn't sell a weapon because the person I tried to sell it to told me that it was fenced and that they would not accept it. Thing is, no one in my party stole it! There were only 2 places in all of Amn I could sell it. That is the only occurance of a "stolen" item being reported to every shopkeeper that I can remember.

19. StressedE Gems: 15/31

I think selling it, stealing it and running to another shop is acceptable, unfortunately there aren't too many shops who accept fenced goods.

The reason it's acceptable is because you could run to another shop before the keeper of that shop gets the information.

Next problem is how much you can steal. You think you could steal 10 full plate mails in real life without anyone noticing?

20. the assassin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I stole the mases from the Mae'Var shop then sold them to the Renal shop. at this point i kept stealing and selling back from the Renal Shop, so the first stolen weapons were sold back before stolen again.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.