1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mages

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Matt_Frank, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Matt_Frank Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Did anyone find it hard in the early stages of the game when the main character is a mage....i've just started and my mage can only memorise one spell and has a very poor armor class, i know this will get better but did anyone else find this a problem?

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I had that problem so I got party members as soon as possible

3. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Make these your best scores ...

Intelligence (obviously)
    Dexterity (Lower AC/imrpove thac0 i think)
    Constitution (raise HP)

That should make you a wee bit better for the beginning ... just remember, that only allows you to go toe to toe with a diseased gibberling! :D

4. Sol'Kanar Guest

I went solo for the early portions of the game with my mage. Used a sling for combat and a lot of running. Got spells from high hedge, was very careful and leveled up with subquests.

5. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Sol'Kanar, since you were soloing as a mage, how did you manage to take out the guy infront of the friendly arm? Its obvious hes the suprior mage and would take you out in 2 seconds with the first magic missle attack(I thinks its 3 missles, around 5 damage each against a lvl 1 mage with less than 10 health)

Unless of course you blasted him before undergoing dialogue.

[This message has been edited by Frog (edited July 08, 2002).]

6. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The guards around the FAI will help you with that mage.

7. Sniper Gems: 28/31

5 is the max damage for a magic missile ... the dice role 1D4+1 so its max of 5 and min of 2 ...so yeah your right ... its hard to live through the first :D

8. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Did I find it hard? You bet. After looking at the classes (never having played D&D) I had this image of making a necromancer who'd later advance to lichdom and lead the mindless hordes of undeath through the lands. Imagine the surprise when my necromancer started with 4 hp and could cast larloch's minor drain once per day. Sheesh. :rolleyes: That character met it's end at the hand of infamous Shank himself, who stabbed my character to death in Candlekeep, which wast the last place I thought anyone would attack me in. And some time later I found out that you can't even create a single skeleton in the game unless you're a cleric. Good thing that character got killed.

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

In response to the first post, yes mages are tough to make it through early on in the game. The fight with Tarnesh is completely avoidable, though I would not recommend doing it. I found that most fights are tough this early in the game though for any class, just gotta keep trying and run when you can't win.

10. Sniper Gems: 28/31

I trust you mean it takes your character 8 hours of rest to memorize spells Volar Blackmane ... unless your edition of BG is abit twitchy? :D

I agree with Rastor ... personally, the only class that i think can survive the first few chaptors with ease (if you could call it ease) is the fighter class ... a dwarven one at that too (cons = 19)
    I suppose a ranger would work if most of your racial enemies are either gibberlings or humans ...

11. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I remember when I first played BG I couldn't hit squat with a sword/melee weapon.

The ratio was something like this (or worst):

miss
    miss
    miss
    miss
    miss
    miss

hit
    miss
    miss
    miss
    miss
    miss
    miss

Bless the Bow! As it was the inverse!

12. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Considering most people can't sleep eight hours straight simply by pushing a button, it's once per day. Besides, I usually sleep only when the characters begin to whine they're tired, not as soon as the mage/cleric has exhausted his spells (never using spells until I absolutely have to sometimes pays off.) And that wasn't really the point, a minor drain once a day or twice a day. What does it matter, you're usually dead before you have a chance to rest so you could drain 1d4 hp again. D&D mages are simply too weak in the beginning. I wouldn't let my apprentice out until he could cast at least third level spells, less than that and he's dead meat.

13. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Too weak in the beginning, and too powerful in the end.

14. zaknafein Guest

I've played through two games with a mage as my main character and found no problems with it. Its for people who like a challenges.

15. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Having Imoen and Kaigen right at the beginning makes it more bearable ... and i suppsoe that Xzar and Montaron are usful frags to have ...

16. Abyssal Knight Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The beginning of the game is pretty much hard with almost all the classes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.