1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Main page ads going the tiniest bit too far.

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Felinoid, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

[​IMG] I just looked at the main page for the quote of the hour (what can I say? I'm hooked :grin: ) and was disturbed to find another ad smack in my face between the news threads, where there wasn't one only half-an-hour ago. Now, I didn't mind the "True" banner ads too much, as suggestive as they were, and really I wouldn't mind another ad on the front page if it brings in some more much-needed revenue to this wonderful site. But when the new ad asks the question, "Whose legs are these?" :rolleyes: it adds up to just a little bit more than I can stomach without at least complaining. So, if all these things are fine with you, Tal, I guess they're fine with me, but I thought I should speak up in case you were un-aware. :)

And if anyone else has seen some ads that were more objectionable than what I saw, don't hesitate to post here. Tal likes to keep the site clean, IIRC. :D

2. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Um.... just like to say Felinoid, as an SPS member you do realise that you can choose what you'd like your ad level to be? I know I myself have the highest ad removal level. But we can have that luxuary since we took the time to actually donate to SP.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Some ads are worse than others, definitely... most ads are geo-targeted (I don't get to see them), so please warn me about inappropriate stuff like that. If you can mail me a screenshot of the ad or describe it in more detail and tell me where the ad leads you, I can probably get it removed. (PM or e-mail me, no need to discuss it here.)

[ March 08, 2006, 20:55: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

@Takara:
    Yes, I know, but I've heard that SP gets money both by the view and the click from those ads and I want to support as much as I can. Plus it's too much of a hassle to sign in every time just to get rid of things I can generally tune out.

@Tal:
    Check your PMs already! :p

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Right now you have to log in with the option to turn off the top banner to get rid of the square ad. This will be improved in the future, but right now that ad is only on the front pages.

Fel, uh... you log in for ad blocking once and you stay logged in until you log out. It works like the message boards. You don't have to keep logging in...

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Fel, try this:

First log in on the front page and select ad level #3 (no ads at all), then use the link to the BoM and log in once again, making sure you check the "Keep me signed in" box.

The only time I actually have to log in is after I clear out all my cookies and temp. internet files.

It's as simple as that. :spin: :roll: :rolling:

7. Taluntain

Media:
    For no ads, you only need to log in on the site. It'll also take effect on the boards; no need to log in again on the boards.

Deleting cookies will always require you to log in again, since all the login information is stored in cookies.

Btw, I've found and removed that ad now.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.