1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Major Spoilers regarding Chapter Advancement

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Felinoid, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

[​IMG] Anyone who needs to know the requirements to advance any particular chapter need look no further than this thread. I've singled out the exact requirements for each chapter, but figured it wasn't enough for a guide, so here it is:

Prologue -> Chapter 1:
    Talk to Gorion and chose dialogue option 1 ("I'm ready to go right now.") at any time.

Chapter 1 -> Chapter 2:
    Go south to Nashkel or the Carnival. Simply enter either area and wait.

Chapter 2 -> Chapter 3:
    Kill Mulahey and grab the two scrolls (non-spell) from the chest by his bed.

Chapter 3 -> Chapter 4:
    Grab the scrolls out of the chest in Tazok's tent.
    NOTE: You do not need to kill anyone; just grab the scrolls.

Chapter 4 -> Chapter 5:
    Kill Davaeorn.

Chapter 5 -> Chapter 6:
    Talk to Duke Eltan and accept the Iron Throne quest. Enter the Iron Throne building and leave. Return to Duke Eltan.
    NOTE: Again you do not need to kill anyone. Just in & out and you can give Eltan the answer that will advance you.

Chapter 6 -> Chapter 7:
    Make your way out of the catacombs and try to exit the aboveground map area. The trigger for the chapter advancement is a thick box-like area that surrounds where you come out of the catacombs.
    . ====
    ||
    ||
    . ====
    If you get around the south wall without advancing, just go back and walk slowly around the trees just south of where you exited the catacombs.

Chapter 7 -> end
    Kill Sarevok.

I find it interesting to note that you are only required to kill three people to win the game. :heh:

[ September 13, 2005, 17:20: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

2. UCLAParadox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

lol. I sense a new solo challenge! Beat the entire game, as a solo only killing those three characters. I would think a party would make it harder because of the diluted EXP (and you'll be getting a lot less of it).

Maybe you could allow charmed animals to kill stuff to... but I think the 3 characters dead only thing would be tough.

3. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

That solo game would be next to impossible....

4. Felinoid

Hey, I didn't say I didn't get whooped by Sarevok. :lol: I played it as a bard who used a lot of invis. potions and spells, but a thief variant (with maxed stealth) would work even better. Haste and healing potions come in rather handy, too. It's the only solo I've ever played where I didn't have enough money. :shake:

Chapter 7 is a b**** to play as a pacifist, too. You have to be extra-careful picking Slythe's pocket for the invitation (and the letter implicating Sarevok), and it's pretty damn hard to keep from killing any of those dopplegangers in the Duchal Palace while still managing to keep Belt and/or Ilia Jannath alive.

5. UCLAParadox Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

As for keeping them alive, how about a Webspell along with invisibility cast on them?

Also, I would guess that you're going to want a thief/mage if you won't be a bard. You're going to want to be able to use wands (especially of summoning) against Sarevok. Did you manage to kill him in the end?

6. Felinoid

Whoah there. I'm not going to be doing it again in the near future. If you want to try you're more than welcome.

As a level 4 solo bard in the Duchal Palace, I only had 1 second level spell. Web and invisibility wasn't going to happen unless I used scrolls. And if you're going to use scrolls, you might as well go with Hold Person; that's what I used. Dire Charm would work too, but would involve a bit of micromanaging to keep them from jumping back into the fight.

I went absolutely minimal on that go-around; I didn't finish any quests, and went only where I absolutely had to go to advance to the next chapter. All I had for the final battle was the stuff I bought (plus what few items I could scrounge along the way). I was surprised when I finally killed Davaeorn, so I had no illusions about beating Sarevok. I'm proud to say I lasted longer than I expected, though. :D

7. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Do you actually need to Kill Mulhaley and Davaeorn? I thought the cut scene occured after you riffled through their chests. It's been a while but I thought there was a choice of leaving Mulhaly alive.

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Spoiler Alert!
    IIRC, Daveorn has the key on him and I don't think there's any way of getting it other than killing him.

9. Felinoid

@Carcaroth:
    You do need to kill them. As I said in the thread that prompted me to create this one, I've tried just taking the scrolls and not interacting with Mulahey. It doesn't work. I left my computer running for half an hour, and it still hadn't switched. But the moment Mulahey went down, BOOM there's the Chapter 3 text.

Killing Davaeorn is the ONLY requirement to advance to Chapter 5. You don't have to flood the mines or anything. Just kill the mage and wait for the Chapter 5 text.

@kuemper:
    You can always charm and then pickpocket, but you don't need the key to finish Chapter 4 anyway. BTW, no need for a spoiler alert, this whole thread is dedicated to spoilers. :shake:

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

:doh: Realized as soon as I read your reply.

11. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Chapter 2 -> Chapter 3:
    Kill Mulahey and grab the two scrolls (non-spell) from the chest by his bed.

Technically you only need one scrool, the first one in the "chest inventory".

12. Felinoid

@raptor:
    Yeah, the one that mentions Tranzig. Might as well grab both, though; the other one gets you the reward from Ghastkill.

I'm pretty sure you only need one of the scrolls from Tazok's tent too, but I've never tested it. I just grab all three (while paused, if you need to) and then dump them outside. None of them are of any use anyway. *shrug*

13. Phase Demon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Oups! I just posted a similar list in the Baldur's Gate Done Quick thread.

However notice that you don't need to get to the fifth floor of the Iron Throne in Chapter 5. Just entering and exiting the Iron Throne Building is enough to satisfy Duke Eltan.

In Chapter 6 you can't get arrested if you haven't talked to Koveras (or getting Rieltar and his friends hostile). The Gatewarden on the top floor keeps saying that an unusual fellow (Koveras) wishes to meet you to discuss private matters. Same with all the guards.

I wish I had read this post earlier. Because as I was storming out of the catacombs with boots of stealth and Oil of Speed, I was going too fast through the trigger area to detect me and it took me days to find why I wouldn't get my chapter advancement granted. I found an old thread elsewhere mentioning that people with haste were sometimes not firing a similar chapter advancement trigger that used to take place near the lift in Davaeorn's Lair. This is the way it was done in BG without ToSC if I remember correctly.

14. Felinoid

I checked via IE, and oddly enough, that seems to be true. The area script sets a variable which will let you give the right answer to Eltan. I'll edit the original post accordingly.

15. Phase Demon Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Again you musn't storm in an out of the Iron Throne too fast and wait just a little instant inside to let the trigger detect you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.