1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Manual

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Eduardo Do'Urden, Aug 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eduardo Do'Urden Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There is no pdf manual for BG1 as far as I know. And if there was, you'd have it on your CD - if you bought the game, that is. You obviously didn't, otherwise you wouldn't be looking for one.

Please find some websites in your own language because your English is so appaling I can hardly understand what you're trying to ask in your posts...

3. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

4. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Why is only Taluntain asked about this?

5. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

<<Please find some websites in your own language"???>>>

And I thought I had been rude in my time.... What arrogance.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] So if it were your way we should allow use of any other language here too? Heck, might as well invite some Chinese over. Every post the guy makes is only guessed about because no one actually understands what exactly he wants to ask. And I doubt he's satisfied with the answers either. It has to work both ways you know.

I was only giving him a friendly advice. If it were up to most users here (and if I listened to the people in the chatroom), he would already be banned. English is the only language allowed here. And what he's using can hardly be called that.

I'm sorry if you think that's arrogance on my part, but I'd just call it common sense.

7. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

<<So if it were your way we should allow use of any other language here too? ... I was only giving him a friendly advice. ...I'm sorry if you think that's arrogance on my part, but I'd just call it common sense.>>

Well, no insult taken by me.. However, as someone who spent a very large portion of my life overseas in countries which did not speak my native tongue (due to US military duties), I have some experience with the challenge the guy is faced with - trying to communicate in pubic without all the tools everyone else has.

Taluntain, your responses to this guy are nothing less than antisocial to say the least and that is not meant as an insult, just an observation. Your response to me, for instance, could have been taken as an insult, yet you relatively calmly and clearly stated your opinion in a manner which left no room for misinterpretation - you dislike responding to him and/or reading his messages.... Whatever happened to the scroll function, the Delete key or just plain ignoring someone? At least that wouldn't be as rude as your choice.

Your responses to a fellow gamer trying to play and enjoy his game thus make little sense to me. They are not "productive" and serve no social purpose except, apparently, to puff up your chest with a few others with "less vocal keyboarding skills" than yourself.

Last comment, again, not meant as an insult but as an honest observation... You remind me very much of the guy on the BG2 board who made the character that ran around insulting everyone throughout the game. Despite having not gotten caught stealing and despite his "reasonable level of intelligence", his reputation remained below average and he lost out on game/life quests that could have made the game mmore enjoyable and challenging. So, think of it this way, you can easily just ignore the guy at no loss to yourself. Or, you could try to help him and at worst get frustrated at your failure to communicate. Either way, life is too short to be unnecessarily rude and arrogant.

Soapbox mode off.... This has been a test. This has only been a test of the Non-Emergency Simple Social Skills Program. This has only been a test. Returning you now to your normal life.

<<edited for formatting and spelling>>

[This message has been edited by Kailynne Johanne (edited August 26, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Kailynne Johanne (edited August 26, 2001).]

8. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Ok, let's analyse your post bit by bit.

1.) Antisocial bit

I answered each of his questions as best as I could. But unfortunately someone who is asking for a manual is in 99% of cases (in my experience 100%, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of a doubt) someone who did not buy the game. If they did not buy the game, they pirated it. SP doesn't support piracy, nor anyone asking for cracks, manuals, and so on. This is also written in the forum rules. Just toleating the posts here and not closing them is more than I did for anyone else who ever asked a similar question which in not so many words indicated that they haven't bought the game.

2.) The ignoring him bit

His posts had "A question for Taluntain" in the headline. This was edited later for clarity, but you obviously missed it. So ignoring his questions would be more rude than answering them. No matter how you feel I answered them.

3.) Responses not being productive

My reply in this topic is the only one that actually answered his question. If you didn't like it, tough. But the fact is that if he bought the game, he'd have the manual. If he borrowed it, he could ask the person he borrowed it from for it. If he didn't buy the game, nor borrowed it, and the pdf manual is not on his game CD, then he's out of luck.

4.) That guy on the BG2 board

Hehe, would you belive him and I had something very akin to what you've started here on the BG2 board? Funny how you seem to have picked him up from dozens of other people there. You two must have something in common. (Just an observation, as you say.)

5.) On life being too short...

Yes, it's too short for me to waste it replying to people like you. If the guy had a problem, he could argue with me himself. But one thing I hate most is people who want to play lawyers for other people without their asking or consent. That's just rude and arrogant in my book.

9. Slappy Gems: 19/31

OK I try not to get involved in these little head to heads but in this case I'm sorry I couldn't help myself. You see I interpreted Tal's first post above as trying to be helpful (which is what you are accusing him of not being). He has attempted to answer the guy's question to the best of his knowledge. Also, as someone who has struggled to follow the guy's other questions I too think the advice to try and find a site that uses his native language to be the best common-sense approach (I don't see this as arrogant at all - you might notice I tried to help on that score too). Tal does not say he will not help him he just suggests it would be easier in his native tongue.

You will also see that other poeple have tried to help the guy in other posts but usually no one is really clear as to what is being asked. Now this is frustrating for all concerned including Eduardo - BUT we are still trying to help as best we can.

My view is that, before you are in a position to complain about others you should ask yourself what you yourself have done to help. Checking through the posts I see that you have given the guy some advice but I don't see that you have done anything to help with the language problems. Perhaps, if you are that concerned you might think about helping out there.

As to all your commenst about not insulting Tal just making an observation. Unfortunately to me they mostly read like you were trying to insult Tal (but maybe I'm not understanding your intent because of our cultural differences). On that basis, just in case, let me defend him here as despite your comments, he isn't really one to puff up his chest. Firstly, are you aware that English is not Tal's first language? I think he speaks it extremely well but there are bound to be sublte differences in interpretation between his use of language and yours as an American. Did you not think that perhaps you were misinterpretating his words at all when you got on your soapbox? Especially after your commencts about learning the problems on cummincation with other nationalities during your US military service. It is also extremely easy to misinterpret the written word on these type of forums as has been discussed at length in another post in What Nots. So just who is being arrogant here?

Of course, this site is also Tal's. He has put a huge amount of effort into building it up and developing it for the benfit of those of us who enjoy visiting the place. He also tries to reflect the wishes of the majority (as he mentioned above, many chatroom users have pushed for the guy to be asked to leave but Tal has stuck by him). He does this for no money or reward other than the love of keeping the place going. As such I think it is reasonable for Tal to set the rules for the site and to decide who he wants to be here or not.

Anyway, I don't want to waste time over this too much or get, myself wound up. To sum up Tal runs a great site here and puts in an awful lot of hard work for the benefit of people like you and me. I really find it hard to comprehend when, bearing that in mind, people openly attack him especially for the 'crime' of trying to help someone in the most practical way possible. :( sad days indeed.

PS damn in writing this I've managed to miss the shops

10. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

A little clarity here..
    0. By the time I read this thread the first time, no "question for Taluntain" was in the message topic.... So, I could not consider that.

1. I said that Tal's response that I read to Eduardo's post was arrogant and rude - and referred to myself as having been so and thus able to recognize rudeness. Tal's followup statements of "might as well invite some Chinese over: just supports my first comment about rudeness.

2. I never attacked Tal or this site. If there is any douobt about that, reread my responses. People can act rudely or arrogant and not actually be a rude or arrogant person - it happens. However, I HAVE been quietly visiting the board for a while and finally reached a point where I thought it needed a simple declarative statement. I made that. You can take the constructive criticism as that or you can ignore it... It really makes no real difference to me.

3. I have noted that people like Slappy have been much better able to assist Ed with his translation problems than I could be - so, I didn't interfere - {Portugese being a language I have no facility in). However, as is usual, I failed to publicly comment on that or other positive assistance given to Ed... Okay, busted... let's move on.

4. Lastly, if you read my second post in this thread again, you ought to be able to see that I was not trying to escalate this at all - merely drawing an analogy to someone else's fairly interesting way of playing the game. It seemed that Tal was acting in a similar manner and obtaining similar results - that's all. By comparing the way you responded to me and to Ed, I thought the difference in results would be fairly clear. I guess you missed that.

So, rather than escalate this further - which was never my intent.... I had been visiting the site for about a month before my first post - observing and getting a feel. I guess I will return to lurk mode, not ever try to contribute to the board and just take advantage of other posters' work as obviously my own expression of opinion isn't desired here. No big deal and actually less angst for me.

11. Slappy Gems: 19/31

Nah don't go back to lurk mode. Let's all shake hands, make up, group hug and get back to enjoying the boards, sharing ideas and helping people when possible. :) After all even happy families have their occaisional bust-ups.

And as a PS please don't everyone think I am some kind of language expert. God I can't even speak english as well as I'd like. I am so bad at languages my o'level french oral exam is the stuff of legends. Within half an hour of finishing it I had had the piss taken out of me by two other teachers. The really sad thing was that as they took the piss in French, I didn't even understand what they were saying :( I was ungraded in my final result.

12. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I agree with Slappy. Not the part about his french.. :p
    I think You are a little hasty Kailynne Johanne. I fail to see a connection to why a discussion about rudeness should make You go into "lurk-mode". Especially when You say You have no hard feelings.

Tal's speech has always been pretty direct. He has even softened a bit since he switched from the pink dragon. ;)

And I think Eduardo has understandably moved to another site. Haven't heard from him since he posted all those questions.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited August 27, 2001).]

13. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Let's end this already. As for the future, I annexed the last Basic Rule in the FAQ, and from now on intend to execute it without mercy. If you have an issue with the admins or mods, mail them personally. This isn't the place for theatrics, but if people still feel the need to express their opinions about the caretakers of these boards, they can do it personally by sending them an e-mail. It'll leave the board cleaner and won't distract people from discussing the original topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.