1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

March Madness

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Rallymama, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I don't pay much attention to basketball, but for some reason I'm usually glued to the tourney - at least, when Dick Vitale isn't doing the broadcast. ;) Yesterday's results bore out an obeservation that I've made over years of filling out tourney brackets, only to watch my picks go spiralling down the tubes in the second rule.

Always go with the 12th seed, at least for one round.

I have seen more upsets come out of the 5 v. 12 matchups than any other pairing. Care to do a historical analysis, Fel?

2. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

It's been a fantastic tournament so far. Some great games and some fantastic upsets...Wichita State, Bradley, George Mason...all part of the Sweet Sixteen...and all four of the top seeds are still in it.

There's a common rule that there's always a 12/5 upset...I don't know why that particular pairing always seems to yeild one. One of the reasonings that I've heard is that in every bracket there's a 5 who's overseeded and is really more of a 7 to 9, and then there's a 12 who's underseeded and is truly a 7 to 9 also...so, in effect you have two evenly matched teams. The trick in being able to find the upset pairing is to be able to determine which teams fit this description.

In this years tourney there've been 2 12/5 uspets, Texas A&M over Syracuse and Montana over Nevada. Even rarer than a 12/5, there's been a 14/3 upset (Bradley over Kansas). I'm not sure how many of each kind of upset there have been in the history of the field of 64 (65), but I do know there've only been a couple of 15/2 upsets and there's never been a 16/1 upset. I'll try to check into that.

[edit]...Ok, I found some info...
    ...from Wikipedia...

[ March 20, 2006, 18:18: Message edited by: Hacken Slash ]

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    OK, so the late games were amazing. (I'm no Duke fan, so the early win by LSU was nice.)

Any way, Texas wins on a buzzer beating 3 and my alma mater pulls out from a double digit deficit to score the last 11 points of the game and send Gonzaga and Adam Morrison with his cheesy moustache packing to Washington.

Go Bruins!

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Ugly, ugly win for the Bruins, but any final four is a good final four. Next up, LSU.

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Go, George Mason!

6. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I'm a big UConn fan (went there). Boy did they choke. That said, if they had to lose, I'm glad it was to Cinderella.

Great story (Tony "Ballpuncher" Skinn excepted).

I'll be rooting for them this weekend.

7. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Well, needless to say, my brackets a mess. The only team I picked that's still in it is UCLA.

I wonder if the George Mason story doesn't qualify as one of the greatest upsets in sports history. Consider the fact that many people felt they didn't belong in the field of 65 to begin with...and then they beat Michigan St., North Carolina, Wichita St. and UConn...three of those are the championship programs from 2000, 2004 and 2005.

I guess I can take some solace from there being two SEC schools in the final four.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Unless you happen to attend LSU, UCLA, Florida, or are a graduate of one of those schools, and you ARE NOT rooting for George Mason - you have no soul.

9. dmc

Media:
    UCLA here, but I agree AFI. If my horse weren't in this race, I'd seriously be rooting for Mason.

10. dmc

Media:
    So, all of those Mason fans need to root for UCLA, right??!!

Go Bruins.

11. dmc

Media:
    Oh well, better luck next year. UCLA was clearly outplayed at every aspect of that game. As good as they looked against LSU is how bad they looked against Florida.

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    I'm bummin' for ya, dmc. The only way I would have been cheering for Florida is if they'd been playing Notre Dame.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I must say, for how good this tournament was throughout the vast majoirty of it, the last weekend was anticlimatic. Both of the final four games and the championship game were not even close. It was actually difficult to watch.

14. dmc

Media:
    Yeah, if you didn't have a horse in the race, there was little fun in watching the games. Given the great OT games last week and the on-the-edge endings of so many of the games, the final three games were very anticlimactic.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.