1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Maximum level

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Menion Leah, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I'm new to this game, but I like to plan ahead for my characters so that they will be as powerful as possible.

I have read some guides for character and party builds and there is one thing that puzzles me. In some guides, it is assumed that the characters will (easily) reach level 30 and in others it is said that they will probably only reach level 16 or so.
    If I'm going to plan ahead for my characters, I'd like to know how much levels I can expect. So does anybody know how much levels would be realistic (in let's say a six people party)?

Thanks.

2. Cryohydropyro Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

The level cap is 30 but you can't achieve it immediately using a party of six. The normal difficulty will bring you to around level 15 or 16 depending on the build of your party. You can only reach level 30 by importing your party into the Heart of Fury mode.

Soloing characters, however, have more chance to level up faster.

3. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

So generally when I would play the game, I would only become around level 16? And then I'd have to play through it for the second time in HOF to get to level 30?

4. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

That's how it's usualy done, yes.

You could always start HoF with lvl1 characters if you're up to the challenge. It isnt that tough anyway, all you need is about 2 spellcasters that can summon allies. One sorcerer can also do it, but you'll have more difficulties at it.
    I dont actualy know if you'll reach lvl30 this way, but i'm quite sure you will.
    Get a few more sleeping bags for your meleers if you'll play like this, since they wont be doing anything but stand around. For the whole game actualy ;)

5. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

Okay, thanks.

I think I'll just start playing in normal mode and then import the party into HoF. I haven't really played yet so it probably wouldn't be wise to start of in HoF.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The nunber of characters in your party will also have an impact on the maximum level they will reach. If you have 4 instead of 6 then you might be able to push them level 20 by the end of normal mode.

Of course, it depends on whether you complete all the quests and kill all the monsters in the most XP maximising way . . . .

7. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31

I intend to play with a four people party, but I asked for how high the levels would be in a six level party to be on the safe side. Besides, I figured I could pretty much calculate the difference if I took only four people.

I usually do all the available quests in a game and try to get as much EXP as possible, so maybe I can indeed get to level 20.

There is something else I'd like to ask a question about though. Can an ECL-penalized character also reach level 30, or would such a character be capped at 28 (for drow)?

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It's not that easy to calculate the amount of XP a 4 person party would accumulate because the XP for killing monsters is linked to the party's average level so as your 4 person party levels up faster they will start getting less XP for their kills.

9. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] ECLs can reach lvl 30.

10. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I think you can reach it adding a new character. The level of the new experience received will raise immensly. I did with my first party. I intend to do it again. They reached the cap... Although it didn't matter much after level 25...

11. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    When playing a normal game, I end up with a party about level 17. I like to think I have most XP that I can get this way.

If I import them into HOF, including one level 1 character, I've gotten close to level 30.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    A soloer in normal difficulty mode will have character level circa 27. If you do all quests except being lame and doing quests that aren't in accordance with your alignment and if you don't do level-squatting, you can get your six character party to character level 16. It's possible to get 17-18 for everyone in your six with level-squatting.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.