1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

McD or BK?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I don't really know the exact reason why, but I like a Big Mac every once in a blue moon. There is no special item at BK that I particularly think is outstanding.

There are many more fast food joints that do a better job. Steak n Shake is much better. In Rockford, we have a local chain called Beef-a-Roo. They are well above a McD or BK.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oooh, this is very hard to answer.

McD do the best chips (fries, to the uncultured) hands down. However, the XL Bacon Double Cheeseburger and Triple Whopper are pretty much the best fast food burgers on the market. However, the Big Tasty is a pretty damn close 3rd, and I love when McD do those 'Taste Of America' burgers, where they do a different one each week.

I'd say McD, but by a nose. Photo finish.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I only eat at either of them less than once a year so I can't really comment. They're both pretty bad so it's difficult to decide which one is worse.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Agreed. My 3-year old son prefers McD's fries, so that's usually where we go. Cheeseburger Happy Meal (with only cheese on the burger) every time.

That said, when I was a teen and young adult I did prefer BK. The fries are better at McD's, but I always prefered a Whopper over any burger McD's offered, and the BK chicken sandwiches are clearly superior to the McChicken.

EDIT:
    Holy crap - I didn't even know such a thing existed (goes to show how often I eat fast food I guess). That has to be like a 2000 Calorie burger!

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm with Harbs I think, BK used to be miles better many, many moons ago but they've devolved to the same level.

I'd probably opt Burger King as they still do a wider variety and will accomidate changes if you point out the menu isn't specific enough to make a decision.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    They just opened the first BK joint here a few months ago and it's miles better than what McD's been serving here for the last X years... the "eating plastic" feeling's pretty universal here when it comes to McD. BK on the other hand has the grilled taste, which, for starters, doesn't feel one bit "plastic" and the fact that I enjoy grilled food only makes it better.

Heh, I got a double Whopper today and it felt like I was eating it for 20 minutes... I could finish a Big Mac in less than half as much time the Whopper took me. I'll dare a triple Whopper at some point for kicks, I just need to clear my schedule for that afternoon. :lol:

P.S. The fries at BK seem pretty much identical to McD's here to me...

8. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Wendy's.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I suspect that the flavor of fries is heavily dependent upon what oil they are fried in. I have no reason to suspect that the potatoes McD's uses are in some way superior to the ones at BK. A lot of the stuff sold at fast food joints should be identical. For example, if I order a Whopper I should get the same sandwich in Baltimore as I get in Slovenia. But I don't know if that consistency goes all the way to the oil used to fry their fries*. In fact, if there is a prefered oil used in a given area and people expect fries to taste like that, it would be in the best interest to use that oil to fry the fries.

* It's kind of the same thing as it being hard to differentiate between Coke and Pepsi if you purchase a fountain beverage. Since the ultimate taste of the beverage is a function of relative amounts of syrup and seltzer used, a fountain Coke may taste somewhat different than what you'd get in a can. But that doesn't mean it ceases to be Coke. As such, BK fries would remain BK fries even if they were prepared slightly differently.

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

There's no way the same potatoes are used for chips all around the world, so I imagine they wouldn't be comparable.

Like Aldeth, my son has a Happy Meal around once a fortnight.

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I am ashamed to admit that every Wednesday, after her gymnastics class, I get my oldest some FF from BK. Nothing else, she just wants FF. But only if she tried. Every once in a while, she gives us the "not listeneing to anyone, insta-meltdown" routine. No FF on those days... I know, I know, I'm a Tyrant.:D

12. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Good lord. That's like asking me if I prefer a plate of poo or a bowl of vomit. Won't touch anything from either of them. My wife and kids won't go near either of them as well.

LKD likes this.
  13. Taluntain

Media:
  14. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'll echo dmc's sentiments as well. If there's no other choice, like if the McD's or the BK becomes like the proverbial mirage in the middle of a desert, then I might. Otherwise, no way.

15. Blades of Vanatar

I tried their Chili. Once. It was the hamburger patty cut up and put into sauce. There was still corners that were obvious, as they use a square patty. It did make melaugh, but it tasted like.... nothing.

They do make a decent spicy chicken sandwich though.

16. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    When I worked at Circuit we shared the parking lot with a Mcs, so I used to walk over there. At my last job, we shared the parking lot with a Lenny's [like Subway] so I used to go over there a few times a week. I generally went anywhere within walking distance. I'm not working at the moment, so I don't have much in the way of fast food at all. Twice a month is the max for the kids and me, and it's usually Mc's, since there is one at the corner of our neighborhood. But I always liked Wendy's for some reason. I haven't been to one in ages though.

17. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I had a gf who was a fast food snob like Beren and dmc, but there was one sandwich she would eat from Wendy's. I can't remember what it was.

I'm ambivalent on Mickey D vs. The Whopper. I guess I would go to whichever one I hadn't had most recently.

18. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Both are horrendous.

But BK is less horrendous. The Whopper is pretty good, and the chicken fries are a guilty pleasure. The only thing decent and McDonald's anymore is their coffee. How's that for irony?

19. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  20. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I do like Smack D's coffee, it has to be said.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.