1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

MEH party

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Felinoid, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

[​IMG] Thinking about how f***ed up it is that you have to do so much **** for your NPCs when they are supposed to be helping you, I came up with the idea for a PC that just doesn't give a ****. Nothing hard or out of the way will be worth it for this Xan-esque PC, with only a few exceptions for plot movement.

Naturally, he won't abide anyone who pesters him about pesky personal quests either, and that's where my problems come in. The BG1 party is pretty much set:

PC
    Imoen
    Ajantis
    Kivan
    Xan
    Faldorn/Yeslick

I was kind of stuck on what priest to take, since Branwen neeeeds a Flesh to Stone scroll, Viconia neeeeds to be saved from the Flaming Fist, and Jaheira neeeeds to go to Nashkel. If I take Faldorn, I'll probably go with a F/M/C PC (since I've always wanted to try that and I was surprised to find out that she doesn't bug you about the Iron Throne), but if I take Yeslick, I'll go with a full-fledged druid (always wanted to try out the stronghold).

But the BIG problem is my BG2 party:

PC
    YoshImoen (because she's on the way, kind of)
    Minsc
    Alora (mod)

...that's all I've got. Reasons the other 14 didn't make the cut:
    (Note: A :rolleyes: is implied at the end of each explanantion.)

Aerie - needs a key that's a sword; really not worth my effort to figure out.
    Anomen - "But I just gotta get into the Order!"
    Cernd - No kids, please.
    Edwin - He wants me to kill a wizard AND get some documents?
    Haer'Dalis - "It's so scary in this Planar Prison!"
    Jaheira - "But I'll die if I don't get uncursed!"
    Jan - You know I'm not sticking my neck out for this black market gnome OR his family. (Even though I really like Jan. :( )
    Keldorn - He hasn't seen his family; well boo-hoo.
    Korgan - Dungeon crawling for a measly book?
    Mazzy - "Save me from the mean shadow thingys!"
    Nalia - de'Arnise Keep, 'nuf said.
    Sarevok - He wants a piece of my WHAT!?! (Also don't want to leave a spot open in SoA or trade out in ToB. Too much work. ;) )
    Valygar - "Grandpa never loved me!"
    Viconia - "Save me from this mob!"

So are there any low-maintenance mod NPCs that would fit in well? (i.e. No big quests in places that aren't on the main plotline, any romance would have to be very forgiving of "Don't bother me", etc.)
    • Thieving skills are pretty well covered
    • I've got one tank, maybe two (depending on how I use Alora) but could probably fit another in
    • Magic needed! Either a full druid, or a half-mage and a half-cleric (possibly the same character, possibly different characters)
    (Hoo, that's long.) Any ideas?

2. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

So, why not trying to make your own NPC. Make the character you want (mage, cleric, druid), and do the whole mpsave to single player save and bingo. That way you save your self all the "drama that the other NPC bring you. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  3. Felinoid

@Maurolava:
    No thanks. I've already got an MSP (multiple single player) game going, and I don't need another one. I want the banter and attitude, but the idea is that MY concerns come before theirs. Any personal problems they have they can take care of on their own time once MY stuff is taken care of. :p

Oh, also: No evil characters unless they can be turned good or neutral, because my PC won't manage rep for them. ;)

4. Maurolava

5. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Actually it's to my Understanding that Kelsey has quests attached to him.

6. Maurolava

Oops, sorry :bang:

7. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

A number of people consider a long, involved, complicated quest to be compulsory for a mod NPC, so I fear you may be looking a while. (A notable exception is my favorite Tutu NPC Indira - she asks you to kill the ogre mage in the Firewine Bridge but she'll never complain no matter how long you take to do it.) Maybe one of the Willie Bruces?

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Although I haven't tried them, what about Allison, a druid or Kitanya, a wizard slayer.

The others I've played have quests of some sort, no matter how not out of the way they are.

9. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

Use Keldon. Here's the thought behind it.

"I need to see my family"
    "After you're done helping me"

and then he'll follow you 'til the end.

Likewise, you could just tell your party to wait while you go grab the documents, (if you ever even decide to go down there), and Jaheira will never be cursed in the first place. ;) It's all a matter of how you RP it. You don't really *need* their help to get the docs.

10. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Jaheira is the most needy of all the NPCs, even if you avoid the curse!

Isn't there a mod out there where you can add Yeslick?

BTW, your logic is only minorly flawed, but I see where you're coming from. These NPCs all help you a lot more than you help them, no matter what sidequests they want. ;)

11. Felinoid

@WP & Klorox:
    Yeah, I know it's a little flawed because most any good NPC mod will have a quest, etc. But a cat can dream, can't he? :heh:

@omnigodly:
    No sale. ;)
    Exactly, and this PC isn't going to make allowances just because some idiot's wife can't keep it in her pants. At some point, he'd be in the Government District and Keldorn would make a comment about how he hasn't seen his family in a while. It's not worth the effort to talk him out of it, so the PC lets him go home for a visit while the rest of us handle our business. He comes back with some sob story about his wife cheating on him, and the PC kicks him to the curb. Next? :rolleyes:

@kuemper:
    Allison's a no for a somewhat complicated reason. If I've got her, then my PC won't be a druid and won't bother going to the Druid Grove just to pick her up. Combine that with meager stats, and she's just not worth it.

Kitanya's a maybe, but the problem would be finding a druid to compliment her.

Conversely, I've just stumbled upon Wikaede, a cleric with the works but no quest. Unfortunately, what that would mean is a F/D PC with Yeslick in BG1 (not enough divine :( ), and a needed compliment in BG2 of a "half-mage", meaning an MC ?/mage or a bard.

12. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

I think a F/D protagonist and Yeslick is more than enough divine in BGI, esp. with all the bonus spells a F/D will get with the 3 WIS tomes.

I did BGI with a Cleric/Ranger and Jaheira, so the F/D and F/C should be good enough IMHO.

13. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

"You're doing it wrong!"

Just a thought of mine. Instead of scratching off all NPCs with quest, simply take them but ignore their whinings. Of course use the most rude answers available when declining. You will have rather high NPC rotation, but few should stay(I hope :D ). This makes more sense from RP point of view, too.

14. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

@Fel, I didn't want to do Keldorns quest either with my PC the last time I played through it. So I didn't do it. I told him, "Okay we'll go", and never went :) . Wualah!

Btw, is it still a problem if you just let him go then pick him a day later? I guess it would be eh? You would have 0 problem with him after that though.

15. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

To get the best way through Keldorn's quest there is a bit of running around and changing area's and such. No more than with Cernd's quest but it is there. If he's unwilling to take Cernd then you shouldn't be convincing him to take him.

by the way Xan isn't rude just rather miserable and his favorite phrase is "oh, what's the point?" He's more apt to not do something good or bad than be rude about it.

In fact he's a nuetral character so Inaction isn't out of the question for his alignment either.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

But what does "MEH" stand for?

17. Cantlos Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

You mentioned a bard? There is this mod called keto which adds a bard. Don't know if sha has quests, but she didn't whine a lot. Also you might have a distaste for her alcohol addiction. can be found of pocketplane somewhere.

(either way, I preferred an insane blade that tries selling Jaheira on the marketplace over a normal bard with an alcohol problem.)

18. Felinoid

@Klorox:
    Yeah, I suppose it's not as bad as it looks. :)

@koki:
    That idea crossed my mind as well, but unfortunately, I personally couldn't deal with that. I absolutely abhor NPCs that come along just to soak up experience and then leave (with the lone exception being Yoshimo just 'cause he gets a bum rap and is worth plenty of experience). It would make a lot more sense RP-wise to let NPCs come and go as they please, but I don't think I could handle it. :(

@omnigodly:
    :hmm: If it's possible, that would make a great way to keep him, and the "yeah whatever" response is very in line with the character... Okay, so Keldorn's just bumped Kitanya for the "maybe with a druid" spot. Rather surprising that the paladins just don't give a hoot, though.

@starwalker:
    :confused: I know, I'm already taking Xan in BG1. But another full mage in BG2 is too much.

@HB:
    I'll get to work on that right away. ;) 'Meh' is a "who cares" response, but I guess I could figure out what words it'd stand for.

@Cantlos:
    Keto's got a big-a$$ quest involving a bard competition, so as much as I'd like to try her out, this isn't the party for it. :sosad:

@everyone:
    I appreciate the suggestions, and keep them coming. :) If this were easy I could've done it myself, but as it is every little bit of help...uh, helps. (I am so lame. :shake: )

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Why not just stick with Minsc and Yoshimo / Imoen? If you were truly aloof, you wouldn't even be bothered to work out what other NPCs to take. You'd just take those ones and be done with it.

20. Felinoid

I'm not the one who's aloof, it's the PC; I will put as much thought into this as I need to make his job easier. Not to mention that he's hardly going to want to do everything himself: "I have people for that sort of thing." :lol:
    (And incidentally, I'm already doing something like that. My monk build, Chavesh, is only taking YoshImoen and Sarevok. It's a ***** getting smacked around so much at the current low levels, but by ToB we'll be kickin' it. :evil: )

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.