1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mencar Pebblecrusher and Friends

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Lord Sarevok, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Lord Sarevok Guest

This is a great fight for testing out your skills since it's fairly early in the game and it's versus a well balanced and altogether tough party.......

What do you usually do in this fight? I like to charm the theif and use him to backstab the mage, and cast ray of enfeeblement on the fighters.

I just played this with my elven fighter/mage and Yoshimo.

I had Yoshimo set a few traps in the room adjacent to it(without resting or anything else).

Then I had my character cast cloud kill, (which started the fight) in the center of the room, followed by a minor sequencer of horror and stinking cloud centered on Mencar.

Pooky had already died from the cloud kill, when I let a fireball rip into the room which killed the Sorcerer, followed by another which killed the theif.

The remaining two had a lot of trouble getting past all of the fumes, but the barbarian guy made it through(I think his rage made him immune). Almost of the traps hit him, killing him outright.

Then the dazed mencar(he was affected by horror) wandered into the room next and the last remaining trap hit him, holding him. It was pretty easy to kill him while he was simply standing there defensless.

It's amazing how a few well placed spells and traps can turn a very difficult battle into an easy one....

Also post any ambushes you set or memorable fights like this one.

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited December 18, 2001).]

2. Nivek The Mad Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I went for a much more straightforward approach to these dudes.

My 13th level assassin, plus Minsc, Jaheira, Keldorn, Aerie, and Yoshimo.

Yosh and I quaff invisibility after they go hostile. I already have on my boots of speed, and Yoshimo splashed on some eau du speed during the conversation. We each zip forward to do some 4x backstab damage to the mage whilst he's jabbering a spell. Minsc berserks himself, and Jaheira calls down some holy smite on their ass. Aerie cranks some lightning out of that fancy wand of hers, and follows up with a barrage of magic missiles. Keldorn lumbers forward with some Holy Might and Carsomyr on his side, to boot. Before we know it, Pooky is in advanced rigor mortis, (I love it when the body twitches a little! :grin: ) and everyone else is "badly injured" or "near death". The rest was just mop-up. (I think the lightning bolts really did the trick - that is a small room to be bouncing a few zillion joules of power around inside!) Everyone took a little collateral damage, (esp. Yoshimo - between the Holy Smite and the lightning, he was a fried, shellshocked mess at the end of this one!)

Just my two cents' worth. Game on!

[This message has been edited by Nivek The Mad (edited December 18, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Nivek The Mad (edited December 18, 2001).]

3. zaknafein Guest

gotta love those elven fighter-mages.
    i usually walk in get my arse kicked around the inn a couple of times, try to get a stratagy, lose again and come back later on when im high level. when i cast cloudkill in there it just gets in the way

4. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I went there last with my halfling cavalier, halfling archer, halfling swashbuckler-thief (no comments please, it's a great combo :D )and Mazzy.

Mazzy and my archer fought the thief (needs to be killed quickly for he runs away when the tide of battle turns), the cavalier dealt with the dwarf while my mage-thief held the berserked-two-handed-sword wielder and then skulltrapped the mephit and the mage ... when the mephit died, the mage was decapacitated long enough to allow firing a few flame arrows on the dwarf and the berserker.
    I then killed them one by one.

Tough fight - I'm lucky the goons didn't had an archer in their group - this would have made the fight *much* harder - imagine the mage haste the party ... This fight IMO is tougher than the party in the sewers for you cannot use area spells effectively - I found that this party ist most effectively attacked in their own room. I usually was massacred when I waited in the first room and tried to enter the next room, so I now haste my party and rush in fast.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited December 18, 2001).]

5. Lord Sarevok Guest

Hmm, seems like most of you did this rather late in the game. I usually try it right after I get outta Irenicus's dungeon. The combined loot of the dungeon, the cirus, and this fight, will usually get me above 15,000 if I don't buy too many things.

6. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I usually do it after Irenicus's dungeon as well. The wands you've found, some Holy Smites, a couple of disabling enchantments and brute force usually do the trick (though it's hard, and the thief often escapes).

7. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I first tell this dwarf that i dont want to fight, then let Nalia or Jan cast web. I have my Half-Orc Kensai wielding Arbane's Sword, which gives you the ability to move along free and frolic while whacking your enemies with a nice warhammer in the other hand.
    The rest of my party is taking care of the mage with their arrows and bolts, sometimes cast breach or use these (stolen) arrows of disspelling. Then take care of the thief, then the rest. Tadaa! I got myself a nice full plate armor, which i cant use cause im a Kensai...
    After Irenicus Dungeon I head to the Cop.Corronet and get Nalia for the web spell and to use the arrows of disp. then head to the Den of the Seven Vales (?) to get rid of the dwarf.

[This message has been edited by Master of Nuhn (edited December 18, 2001).]

8. I calm them down, then i cast haste and after that just non-mages whack them and mages cast spells.

9. kingsgambit Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Ezellohar Shark, that's some complicated tactics there dude! ;) It was a stroke of genius though, how you came up with it! LOL! I'm sorry, your post just really made me laugh.
    I can't remember what I did, but I do know I didn't use any area effect spells. I think I followed a similar stratagem to Ezellohar, tried to take the mage out first though. I found trying to forget about him at first he would do too much damage, so removing him from the picture made the rest just a relatively straight forward "kill-anyone-who-isn't-in-my-party" approach. :)

10. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This mage was doing too many ^&%$ to my party...i remember Minsc being paralyzed, hacking away on my stunned main character...(don't you laugh!)
    So always take the mages out first...
    Whack the Wizards!!

11. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Very nice tactics you have in that battle Lord Sarevok! Thumbs up! :)

Give us the tactics you use use against Gallchobhair, Tarnor the Hatchetman, Rengaard, Draug Fea, Zorl and Gaius (Sewer, Temple District)!
    They are standing there just asking for a beautifully planned attack. :D

12. Lord Sarevok Guest

Hmm, I'm pretty sure last time I did that fight I cast Resist Fear, Chant, Bless and all that good stuff, hasted, had Yoshi backstab the mage, then charged in. Mmm, meat off the bone! Har!

13. Archer14 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

First I set traps but not to many because that make the fight boring than I position every one than I pause and have every one attack with swords, spells and arrows then I unpause and then the battles over very fast.

My second time fighting them it was very hard for me because I had a younger party and I lost 3 times so I kicked Jan out of my party and made him wait there, went and got Anomen, went back, then I took Anomen to the middle of the room. Then guess what I did. I sacraficed him to one of those gods of war so I would have good luck in the battle. Then I got Jan again and won the battle first try after that. :)

I'm so smart that sometimes I can't believe it.:happy:

[This message has been edited by Archer14 (edited December 24, 2001).]

14. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    and if you're realy that smart, you would have kicked these asses without sacrificing anybody and kill this black sheep yourself.
    ;)

15. Archer14 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I didn't NEED to sacrafice him. I just did it for good luck and for fun.

Sometimes when I've already killed Anomen and I feel like doing it again I just cheat to get him. It's a good idea realy. You all should try it some time.

16. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    Thanks for your advice.
    Sacrificing people sounds realy good, but im decent respectable and honest good-aligned HALF-ORC SKULLCRUSHING KENSAI!
    Now where is that Helmet of Opposite alignment? :grin:

17. LiquidusSnake Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Sacrificing Anomen is a good idea, I killed him when i was in the UnderDark so he wouldnt have the pleasure of beeing killed outside, muhahahah...

18. [GoodFellaZ] Voodoo Daddy Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

where is it exactly this fight takes place??
    My memory dosn´t serve me well...

19. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

In the upper floor of the Den of Seven Vales in Waukeen's Promenade.

20. bp Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Oh, I just called up a few bears and such, hasted everybody, got the animules into the middle of the room, and then attacked. Didn't take long.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.