1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mind Flayers are causing me problems

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Nakia, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] What spells/artifacts can protect from Mind Flayers? My party can handle most things but keep getting killed by Mind Flayers. Overall the party is around level 14 with all sorts of protection. I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what. :(

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Seeing as you phrased your question in this open way I will not hesitate to spoil for you. Chaotic commands, pretty much everything you need. If you dont have enough CC's summon skeleton warriors which are immune to everything the illithids can do and then haste the dead fodder.

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Thanks, not a spoiler for me, I'm desperate and dead. Reload: dead...

4. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] In my experience, chaotic commands isn't even necessary for taking down Illithids. The best tactic to use is to draw them out 1-2 at a time, and to backstab them with a hidden rogue when possible. If you overwhelm them by drawing 1-2, they never get a chance to extract brains for the instant kill.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The Helm of Charm Protection on the character you use to draw them out works wonders as well. Also, if you upgrade Lilacor using the Item Upgrade Mod I believe it provides protection from all psionic attacks.

6. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

@Aldeth: Only problem with using Lilarcor that way is that I think you need a Ming Flayer Control Collar to upgrade him. Of course that's not a problem if you're doing the ones in the sewers after you get back, but if you're still in the Underdark...

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Death ward seems to make you immune to the death attacks that the mind flayers use.

Free Action rings make you immune to the stunning attack, but the spell does not for some reason.

8. Rudiger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

another vote for chaotic comands.
    I also have my tanks dink potions of mind focusing until both int and dex are at 25, then give them a stack of potions of genius for running repairs.

9. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Invisibility works like a charm...if you have any Fighter/Mages or Mage/Thieves, just have them Mislead and then beat them to death. TH\hey're really stupid, and don't dispel your invisibility.

Chaotic Commands works, but it doesn't prevent the INT drain, so you'd better get rid of them quick.

10. Mulsis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I find that chaotic commands doesn't stop the int drain of the mind flayers. Chaotic commands can help alot, but they also drain int with critical hits, I believe. Mirror Image, if you have a fighter/mage or that short sword, can help negate this issue.

11. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

You can create a potion in the Mindflayers lair that makes you immune to psionic attacks.

12. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

You can finish them off easily by having your mage or bard cast the 6th level spell Death Spell on them. Lots of dead Mind Flayers.
    Thats how I use to save Phaere.

However, in their city in the Underdark I prefer more action. The member of my party with the best saving throws vs. spells (Korgan) lures one or two of them out with the rest of my group gathered in the far corner, equipped with missile weapons. The Mind Flayers keep chasing Mr. Bloodaxe around in circles while the others pelt them with arrows, bolts and darts.
    Great fun it is, if a bit stressful.

13. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Be careful with that strategy Dendri. Death spell works in the Phaere rescue because the Mind Flayers are considered summoned creatures. Against normal Mind Flayers, Death spell will not work because they have too many hit dice to be effected.

14. Macready Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hello -

In my experience this isn't exactly true. My warriors would take three hits, each about 2 DMG, and down they'd go. I assume this was INT drain at work.

Now, Mordenkainen's Swords on the other hand...yummy. They sliced and diced with no ill effects.

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hmm, I was under the impression that skeleton warriors were immune to the int drain seeing as they dont have a brain.

16. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

They are dead, but they still have skulls, so who knows, maybe there are brains inside?

17. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I second the notion of using one Chaotic Commands protected charachter to draw the flayers into a hail of missle fire. Works well, though there is one room in the underdark with so many flayers in it that it can be troublesome. I'm usually at too low a level in the underdark to summon Skeleton Warriors, and at too high a level by ToB for the flayers to be much trouble.

18. joacqin

Media:
    Something that hasnt been mentioned but which probably deserves saying, when you have protected yourself from their psionic attacks you need to protect yourself from the int drain. The best way to do that is to beef up your AC. Haste is also as always a useful spell.

19. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I'll jump in with Macready and say Mord Swords over everything else. Send them in one at a time, no threat to your party, the flayers have no defense. Unless you have installed improved illithids, but that's another story.

20. Nakia

Media:
    This gives me a lot of things to try. In fact my mind is flayed from all the info. The Mord Swords sounds real good to me. Depends on the situation. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.