1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Minsc & Edwin

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Shadow Druid, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Shadow Druid Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

will minsc and edwin fight if I have them in the same group? Since Edwin was hunting Dynaheir will Minsc still kick the buttocks of evil since, after all, it was Joneleth that killed Dynaheir?

My Party:

Elf Mage/Thief (thief, scout, back up mage)
    Korgan (tank)
    Edwin (mage)
    Anomen (healer & tank)
    Jaheria (romance, anti-mage spells, tank)
    Minsc (tank)

Do you think this will be good? Who could I have that could replace Minsc if he'll fight Edwin. I know that Keldorn will also fight Edwin. Could Valygar subsitute as a tank?

Another question, can someone please tell me where to aquire both parts of the vorpal blade.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Keldorn is a good replacement for a tank - and alot more useful. Both he and Minsc weild two handed swords and both can only put two slots in weapon styles etc. An alternative to Keldorn would be Mazzy but I don't think she gets on with Korgan - or <spoiler> is it that she redeems him? I forget.
    Valygar is a scout and is only useful in my opinion if your lacking a good thief who can backstab and explore. Since your PC is a multi mage thief (and your taking - this was a typing error ), the use of Valygar is diminished + he has less dialogues than other NPC's.
    About Minsc and Edwin coming to blows - its never happened to me but it doesn't mean that it may not occur at some point.

3. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Minsc and Edwin will eventually come to blows because Edwin keeps making fun of Boo. Korgan and Mazzy get along very well.

For the Silver Sword, Saemon Havarian gives you the blade. When you return to Athkatla, you'll be attacked by a Githyanki who wants the blade back; the hilt is on his body.

4. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Edwin and Minsc don't get on, but they never come to blows. I seem to recall Edwin ridiculing Minsc a lot. Can't remember fully, as I don't use Edwin much. I usually take Nalia or Haer'D.

Korgan and Mazzy are a great team. In fact I think Mazzy is one of the most under-rated fighters in the game. She is the best Archer and with a belt can be the second-best melee fighter.

Valygar can be a reasonable tank. Good stats and his back-stab can be awesome. I know you are a M/T, but you won't have the backstab potential of Valygar due to his THAC0 and strength. His armour can be limiting, but by TOB your AC is fairly pointless anyway.

You could take Keldorn as he is excellent for his anti-mage abilities plus the best sword in the game.

I found CERND could tank with the best of them in his standard WW form and use the awesome GWW for those tougher battles. Plus you get tons more anti-mage spells, can summon more canon fodder and elementals, etc, etc.

Instead of Edwin you could take Nalia who is the best GOOD mage in the game. As she can level and learn spells all the time imoen is captured.

5. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Actually, Minsc and Edwin DO come to blows after a certain number of dialogues.

You might want to take note of that.

6. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

Do you know under what circumstances they come to blows?

I have heard of similar situations where people have used Keldorn/Viconia the whole game without any major incident and other people who have had them come to major blows. In this case I always get rid of Keldorn.

Another point about Edwin is that he won't stay if you do the Firkraag quest. I believe it's actually in the lair itself.

7. Shadow Druid Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

So if I do the Firkraag quest he'll leave? What If I do the evil way about it and Kill Gaeren (sp?) and then return to Firkraag and get my reward. Then kill him. Will this work? But will the Guards attack me as soon as I enter the City? Cause I really don't want to have to whoop there arses.

8. JamesT Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yes, I have had Minsc and Edwin come to blows on many occations. Usually, it's after they have been in your party for a while. I might be wrong, but I remember Edwin making a particularily callous remark about Dynahier. Minsc responds by telling Boo to go for the eyes and proceeds to smash Edwin like a little bug. In my experience, they have always done this. Thier relationship is always a time bomb, quite entertaining if your into NPC interaction.

9. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

Edwin has left a couple of times when I decided to fight Firkraag. I can't remember exactly what happened as it's a while since I did this quest. I ususally get impatient and just skip through the dialogs by this point.

Other people seem to have done the quest with him, so it may be possible that there was another reason he left and it was just coincidence.

I will try and investigate it and update you when I can give a more positive answer.

10. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'm playing the game for the second time with both Edwin and Minsc and Ive never had them come to blows. If your worried, just install the happy party script! :) :)

edit: wrong smiley face

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

That causes a number of other problems in itself.

12. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

For me Imoen is far more powerful than Nalia. Also with the [snip] mod her powers grow much, much bigger...

Sorry for the post. I know it belongs to the ToB forum... :rolleyes: :(

[So why did you post it?] -Tal

[ November 23, 2003, 22:26: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

13. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

In my experience, Edwin & Minsc come to blows. For me, it happened in Spellhold...
    Keldorn can't stand Viconia for 2 days, I'm surprised others can have both.
    Valygar is a good substitute for Minsc, he's a capable ranger, with prof. in katana and spear, not bad weapons in BG2. He fights no one in your party. His "hide in shadows" is perfect after he levels up the first time. With a shield, he can have decent AC.

14. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

It appears Edwin may also get in a fight with Valygar--there are conditions in Edwin's script to attack him. Can anyone confirm that Edwin and Valygar get in a fight?

edit: Edwin and Valygar fight when the variable EdwinValygarFight=1. However, I can't find anything in the dialogues or scripts that actually changes this variable from 0 to 1.

[ November 24, 2003, 17:43: Message edited by: CamDawg ]

15. Rastor Gems: 30/31

I found the same thing. I think that's something that was unimplemented.

16. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I'm fairly certain that Minsc and Edwina won't fight (they have a different set of interactions - Minsc wondering where that swine Edwin has got to and who's this woman anyway). If you do the Underdark with a sex-changed Edwin, he won't get changed back until you emerge in chaper 6. You should then have plenty of time to finish the adventure before they come to blows.

Most of the Valygar-related stuff was taken out prior to the game's release because of time constraints. Presumably he was originally supposed to end up fighting Edwin because Edwin is an evil spellcaster.

BTW, I've heard tell that Valygar will kill Viconia. Is this true?

17. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

There's certainly some dialogue that leads to a fight. However I've never played with both of them in the same party, so the same situation that applies with Edwin may occur.

18. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I've used both Valygar and Vick, they insult each other but never fight. Chris is right. Besides, it's better to have Edwin changed at the time (Ch 4...), it also means he has the lore bonus which will help in those areas with a lot of items to identify.

19. Muskstick Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I've never known Edwin and Minsc to fight, probably because i havent used Edwin too much, however looking at your list from memory Korgan does tend to start a few fights with "Good" characters.

20. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Korgan will attack Aerie, but nobody else.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.