1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

MMPB or hardcover?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Apeman, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Tell me what you prefer?

I'm totally a fan of Hardcover, nothing is more beautiful then a bookcase full of hardcover books, I know they are expensive but they're worth the cost.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Paperback all the way. They make for much more comfortable reading that hardcover and as good as hardcover looks the bendy coveres are easier to hold and lighter.

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Hardcover, no question at all. Especially books that I really like; classics, favorite authors, etc...It makes the bookshelves in my house look better too! ;)

4. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Well - for certain authors I will only buy hardcover. But for stuff that I just pick up at random at the bookstore, MMPB all the way!!

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I'm not really all that bothered about the cover, so long as its a good read. But then paperback is much cheaper, and I spend my money on a lot of useless stuff, leaving very little, so I'd go for PBMM

6. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hardcovers are too expensive for me :( (about 20 € for a book is just too much), except the ones I buy from bookstore sales.

[ October 30, 2002, 20:34: Message edited by: Harkle ]

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hardcover for the great ones.

For the trash reading, paperback is fine ... but there have been a couple spontanious paperback purchases that have lead me to run out and buy the hardcover (ie ... a little book called "Wizard's First Rule)

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Both actually. All my fantasy novels are paperbacks, and that's all I'll buy at a typical bookstore.

BUT, I have a subscription for leather-bound, gold-accented, hubbed-spine, moire-endpaper, acid-free paper, signed-by-the-author, first edition (sort of; technically for this particular company) SF novels. I have over 150 of them so far, and I get one every month... I think I'm a couple of years behind in my reading though...

9. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I like both. I buy a lot of my hard covers from the Science Fiction book club. I get most of my paperbacks at the used book store. I love the sci-fi paperbacks from the 50's and 60's with the bizarre cover art.

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Almost always paperback but there are some authers which I cant wait for the paperback to be released ie Robert Jordan and George RR Martin. Talking about paperbacks there is this great series called Penguin Classics where you get, you guessed it, classics! For around 2-3$! Great if youve want to read them books your language teacher scared you with in highschool ;)

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Paperbacks, for practically all English literature I read. All of the English books have to be imported here so even paperbacks are not really cheap, and HC is totally out of the question.

12. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Blackthorne, you are making me drool... :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.