1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mod compatability and installation.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Gith, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Gith Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi,

I am looking to replay BGII; I'd like to use a few mod though.

I have this list of mods I would like to install:

BG2 Fixpack (obviously)
    Ascensions
    Auren...
    G3 Tweakpack
    Questpack
    de'Arnise romance
    eSeries
    npcdamage
    Romantic Encounters
    Item Upgrade
    Underrepresented Items
    IEP Banters
    Unfinished Business
    IEP Yoshimo Friendship
    IEP Mazzy Friendship
    IEP Viconia Friendship
    Assassinations
    Turnabout
    Amber
    Banterpack
    Crossmod banter pack
    D0Tweak
    Divine Remix
    Kivan
    Oversight
    Refinements
    Song and Silence
    Tactics/SCSII
    Wheels of Prophecy
    Freedom's ROV
    Ashes of Embers
    NPCFlirt
    Virtue.

So, I would really appreciate any advice on installing these. Any compatability issues and installation order etc.

Are there any that are unnecessary (included in another mod or something)?

I have tried to do a bit of research and figure it out myself but it's a lot to take in. I have read that it is best to install Fixpack first - unless you install Ascension (which should go first?).

I think Ascension and maybe another both have improved bosses - which version is best to install? In the readme of Ascension it says Illera (sp) is "widely regarded as being insanely difficult" maybe just install the "Ascension" component and not the improved bosses?

I want to install either tactics or SCSII - tactics is pretty old now so I don't know about compatability - SCSII also seems better apart from a few parts of Tactics I wanted (improved Illyich etc.). Any advice on this? Could I just install those parts of tactics I want and SCSII after?

Thanks if you read all that - I really appreciate any help - been researching how to install mods for 3/4 days now and I just want to play the game :).

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    You call this installing "a few" mods? :eek:

I don't know anything about some of the mods here, so I can't give you a comprehensive answer. My personal feeling is that this is too many mods - there's no defined limit with BG2, but the more mods you install (even if they're meant to be perfectly compatible with each other) the higher the chance of messing something up. One imoirtant general guideline to keep in mind is that you can only have one mod that replaces dialog.tlk and that mod must be installed first. Most of the older mods that did this now have a Weidu version (Ascension being a prime example) so make sure you grab the Weidu version of these to maximise compatibility. The large number of NPC mods you're installing could also invite trouble, as these may end up changing the same script or dialog in ways that make them incompatible (for example, you're installing 2 banter packs and a friendship mod that affects the same NPC). Check the forums of each mod individually and look for any posts dealing with (in)compatibility with other mods. If you see any serious issue, you will have to take one of the mods off the list.

One other thing (though I guess you're already aware of this), both Ascension and Tactics (and possibly other mods too) make the game much more difficult. If it's a challenge you're looking for go for it, but know what you're going into first. Also, Tactics kind of compensates for the crazy high difficulty by handing out some incredibly overpowered items as a reward for some of its very difficult fights. Just keep in mind that combining so many mods will change the game balance drastically, irrespective of compatibility issues.

If you do manage to get all these mods running together - have fun!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.