1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mod Forum?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Rastor, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

In browsing through the BG2 boards here over the past few weeks, I keep seeing tons of references to various mods. I'm thinking that seeing this in many threads could be annoying to people that don't play with mods or are on their first time through the games and aren't using them yet.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to do another branch off of the BG2 boards (and maybe the other ones too, but I don't see it much anywhere else) for discussions about mods. This could also include discussions about building mods, programming IE games, etc.

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not a bad idea, Rastor. As I am still relativley new to BG2, I haven't yet come to the point where I am looking for mods to provide a different experience. However, I may be in the minority here. One possible problem is that you could potentially end up doubling the number of game forums (1 mod forum for each game that has mods available), which could be cumbersome (less so if there are branches as you suggest). Plus this could create some confusion as to where to post - if you have a mod installed, but your question is related to the basic game, which forum do you use? And if you are having a problem (say an apparent bug), you probably don't know whether it is related to the basic game or a mod. Lastly, in the case of older games like BG2, I'm not sure that there are enough current posts to justify 2 forums (I could be wrong though). However, if these issues could be sorted out without much difficulty, I am all in favour of separate forums.
    (Just what Tal + BTA need - more work :shake: )

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I think he means one forum for ALL mod discussion - bar NWN, because that sorta has it's own. And the rest of the games use the same Engine, not sure if PoR does though. or G:tToEE (well, that's obvious.)

Am I making sense?

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't think that's what he means. Throwing all mods into one forum would probably be more confusing than just leaving things the way they are.

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I think people should just use tags in their titles if their topic concerns mods, or should at least stat so in their post. If people do that, away goes the confusion.

As for people asking for help with a problem, they should always list if/which mods they have installed.

My 2 cents.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think that as it is now is least confusing. You have a mod for BG2, you post in the BG2 forum, for example. Those who don't have it can usually fairly quickly tell which mod/romance someone is talking about.

And if anyone wants to talk about modding a particular game on SP, they can do it in the forum of the said game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.