1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Mods compatibility

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Epimetheus, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Epimetheus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Can anyone tell me if BG I & II mods are compatible with the Italian version of BG Games?

BG TuTu, for example?

2. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Normally you would install 1 non-WeiDU mod (as most - if not all - of them arent' compatible with each other) then all WeiDU mods.
    You should also install NPC mods prior to banter mods, in case of those banter mods affecting the NPC. And all "extensions" of a WeiDU mods should be install after the mods it's extending.

3. jcompton Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Yes, all mods should be compatible with your Italian-language version of the game.

4. Epimetheus Gems: 1/31

Sorry but I'm a newbie when talking about mods, because I've always played the standard BGs and IWs.

So, can u explain me what a WeiDU mod is?

And having Italian BG1 and BG2 is a problem for the Trilogy and BG TuTu mods?

Thx in advance!

5. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    WeiDU is a packing utility. Sorry to even having brought it up, as it had nothin to do with your initial question.

As JCompton said, mods should be compatible with your italian game, so yes, trilogy should be compatible with your italin verion.
    As for trilogy it won't run with tutu. Trilogy does sorta the same thing as tutu, iirc (never played it), and would definately clash with tutu.

6. Epimetheus Gems: 1/31

So it would be better playing with Trilogy or with BG TuTu?

And what about those NPCs who are in both games (Edwin, Jaheira..) when playing with Trilogy?

7. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Tutu is much, much better than BGT. http://www.pocketplane.net/tutu for more information and instructions (which you should read).

As for BGT and NPCs, I think (though may be wrong) they shove all the dialogue and stuff from BG1 and SoA into a combined dialogue file. I am not sure exactly what happens at the end of BG1, though in older versions I think everyone vanishes except the BG2 starting party or something.

8. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Epimetheus: don't let yourself influenced by Andyr. Tutu is not 'much much better' than BGT. As the founder of the Black Wyrm's Lair, a huge modding community, I don't see so big difference. I know players who said that Tutu didn't work for them in the way they expected it while BGT easily installed itself... this doesn't happen too often, what I want to say anyway is that it will depend on your preference whether you will like BGT or Tutu, so it is worth to try out BOTH of them.

While Tutu is supported by more mods apparently, actually BGT tends to be pretty satisfying too in this respect. In fact, some of these mods are big ones, with a lot of new content. Tutu has many advantages but with a few exceptions it is just the target of simple and NPC mods. (Exceptions: BG1 NPC project, BG1QP, Grey Clan -- but the first two aren't finished yet.). Tutu is comfortable: small and thus easy to be downloaded, has big support, enjoys big marketing -- that's why it may have less bugs than BGT, but Andyr is too biased. :)
    (But don't get me wrong, naturally BG1NPC and BG1 Quest Pack enjoy my full support and I look forward to both of them.)

To sum up, I say you should try out both if you have the possibility. Both of them are great conversions. Or if you want to choose only one of them, choose BGT, just for fun. If you manage to download it, install it and start it successfully, it's half of a success. Mods such as Big Picture, Never Ending Journey, Herbs and Potions Add-in, Check the Bodies, Slime Quest, Dark Side etc. support BGT, providing lots of hours of fun with quests, and not just npcs who argue all the time and start romances. But of course it is a matter of personal taste as I have said: e.g. I enjoy a few mod romances and one-two new NPC mods but quests and new stories, legends, magical items and spells -- much more important and interesting! To each his own. :)

[ October 07, 2005, 02:14: Message edited by: Baronius ]

9. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, it is my opinion. ;)

Tutu doesn't work for everyone, but the issues are the overwhelming majority of the time not due to the mod itself but because the end-user's BG1 CDs are scratched.

It is true that BGT offers support for mods like NeJ - but then again, if they are what you want you can always just install them onto your BG2 install. And be aware that quantity not not always mean quantity. While some of the larger mods (like Tortured Souls) are pretty good, others (e.g. The Darkest Day) are not quite so professional.

10. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

One question: why is BGT, a mod only available in English, being recommended over the multi-language Tutu, especially after Epimetheus specifically asked for mods that work on the Italian version of the game?

11. Baronius

CamDawg: he asked about it in a later post. As I said, it's a question of personal preference. So he might not choose BGT because of the language problem, for instance.

My point was: BGT is not 'much much' better than BGTutu. You and Andy, personal opinion or not, make a big 'campaign' for Tutu everywhere which is totally okay because 1. most of your bg1 mods are tutu-only 2. Tutu is a great mod. But due to these efforts, players might become misled that BGT 'is full of bugs', 'bad' etc. (I saw several misled players). Which is not true. One player might feel so while another will not. Let's give a chance to BGT too.

12. CamDawg

As someone who has worked closely on both projects, I do feel that I am uniquely qualified to make judgements on the relative merits of BGT and Tutu. My installation package (Mark III) is currently the non-beta release of BGT, I am an author of the Tutu Fixpack and have worked very closely with japheth on the current Tutu beta (v6).

It is my opinion, which I suggest players weigh with the above statements, that Tutu is much, much better than BGT. Conceptually and technically.

13. Baronius

It's still just the opinion of one person. No doubt, mine too, but as I said I saw many players who preferred BGT to Tutu. It doesn't count what you or I think, because everyone should decide it individually. (Naturally someone with a dial-up connection won't download BGT.)

Several of my mods are both Tutu- and BGT compatible, so I am not biased, as far as BGT is concerned.

Since you brought up this 'working on, working very closely, etc.' stuff, I spoke to Bardez, author if BGT earlier, but this really doesn't count. We don't have be 'uniquely qualified' to judge why Tutu is technically better than BGT: everyone can check some readmes, sources, forums and such; just common sense. 1. Tutu uses a different solution than BGT, not hard to notice. 2. Tutu has much more active technical support.

I don't doubt Tutu is conceptually and techically better. But it doesn't mean that every player will choose it. BGT has had 775 downloads in the past months (Tutu obviously has more, but BGT is 600+ MB while Tutu is 700+ kb + the few megabyte fixpacks). 775 players are not a little number. Even if only a small part of them liked it, it's still a big number.

I don't doubt Tutu is conceptually and techically better. But players who have a broadband connection and a need for bigger projects won't care about how elegant system Tutu does or doesn't have. And as I said, different mods support BGT than Tutu. What I recommend to players: try out both if you can! If you don't like the first one you installed, uninstall it and choose the second one!

14. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I would like to say, as one who is computer illiterate, I found the readme in Tutu (specifically how I redirect to executeable file to look in BG1) very confusing. I think I am to alter my Configeration file, right?
    In BG:T, it was much clearer as to what I needed to do. I merely typed in where my BG1 files were located on my computer when prompted by the install program.
    Always keep in mind the nitwits (like me :) ) who are out there enjoy adding mods but can get easily confused when asked to alter files.

15. CamDawg

The whole config file is something we changed for Tutu v6 (the beta)--it will try to auto-detect both your BG1 and BG2 directories, and prompt you if it can't find them. No more config file editing. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.