1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monk's fists

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Captain Carnage, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Captain Carnage Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Do monks fists ever count as more than plus 3 weapons? What about creatures that need plus five to hit? Can you finish the game with a lone monk using his fists? Just curious because I like monks and their high armor class but the point of playing a monk for me is to beat monsters up with martial arts not dual wielded wepons.
    Thanks for the response. :)

[ November 22, 2002, 10:54: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Quint Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I think the max is +4 at level 21 (that's what it says in the game info screen) - don't know if it goeas up to +5 later. But you'll only reach +3 (hopefully) playing in a normal 6-people team in normal mode.
    Don't know if any enemy really needs +5 to hit. Actually that concept has changed in 3E. Monsters can have, e.g. 20/+3 slashing resistance, but you'll still hurt them with any weaker than +3 weapon if your damage is above 20. The problem with this game is that if your damage is lower than their resistance, you get the message "XXX was immune to my slashing damage", which gives the impression they're totally immune. But I don't know if they really are. Anyone?

3. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I've noticed that in HOF mode, when the total amount of damage is not enough to exceed the resistance it says "immune" and of course when higher it takes damage, so perhaps they can be hit? If so then what would the weapon enchantment refer to? It must mean the required magical enchantment needed to hit a certain foe.

4. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member Member of the Week Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The problems with damage reduction doesn't discourage me from using a Monk. There are two reasons.

1) It will actually be a very rare monster that needs a weapon higher than +3 to bypass damage reduction.

*** If you haven't killed a certain Orc named Torak, there's a spoiler below ***

2) A villager near Torak's camp sells a Sure Striking Short Sword. I had my Monk buy for the odd occasion that he can't overcome damage reduction, and for monsters resistant to bludgeoning damage.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.