1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Monks past level 20

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Stripes55, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Stripes55 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Well, after the ordeal at the Horde Fortress, my Monk is now level 20, which means he's picked up the last new feature, DR 20/+1. Since there's no new class features for him (only a few improvements, like another couple of points of AC, a little more unarmed damage, etc.), would you recommend continuing solely as a monk, or throwing in another class? Obviously, if I go with anything other than Painbearer of Ilmater, I won't be able to level him up in monk again. I was thinking of taking one level of Painbearer, if for no other reason than to have someone who can use a Raise Dead scroll in case my Morninglord of Lathander is killed. I'm not sure adding more cleric levels at this point would be really helpful. Any thoughts?

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Depends of course on the rest of your party. In IWDII I always quite liked mixing the Monk and Rogue roles. Painbearer sounds OK, as there is a Painbearer specific quest later in the game.

3. Stripes55 Gems: 1/31

Ah, that's right, I'd forgotten about the quest. Since I've never had a party with a Painbearer in it before, that might be fun. And it wouldn't hurt to have a spare cleric to read scrolls.

As for the rogue/monk, I've pretty much got all the rogue skills I need with my rogue 2/wizard 18. My monk's INT score isn't as high as I'd like for a rogue, anyway...

4. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

You know that you will loose a few number of attacks per round, dont you? While you may have 5 attacks per round right now, that will drop to 4 as soon as you have +1BAB from any other class.
    Add to that your XP penalty.

How about giving him a few Illusionist levels so he can cast Sheild? No Xp penalty then.
    Or you can then level squat and give him a few Cleric levels at one go.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh, is he a gnome? Then I wouldn't do anything other than Illusionist because XP penalties are just a pain.

6. Shrikant

Oops ... I am sorry. I just assumed your Monk is a DG since mine invariably is. :hahaerr:
    So, what is your Monk's race? Just pick some class that wont give you XP penalties for they suck.

7. Stripes55 Gems: 1/31

He's human, so no XP penalty for adding a 2nd class.

But losing one attack per round...I wasn't expecting that - is that a 3.5E rule, or just how this game implements it?

8. Shrikant

Looks like I was mistaken. Monks dont get 5 attacks per round automatically. So you wont be missing any attacks. Although your 4th attack may just be weaker than it was before.
    If you want to get the 5th attack per round, I guess you will have to take some fighter levels.

I will have to check just how to that works. Will repost when I am sure how this works.

As far as what I was saying goes, monks get an extra attack after every +3BAB, while every other class gets an extra attack after every +5BAB.
    So if Monks were getting 5 attacks per round automatically at L18 (which the game does not seem to be allowing them, atleast in my game) getting a +1BAB from another class would drop down their number of attacks.

Theoretically
    L21 Monk attacks - 15/12/9/6/3 (in IWD II a straight monk is not getting the last attack)
    L20 Monk/ Fighter 1 attacks - 16/11/6/1

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Multiclassing a monk past level 20 is hardly worth it IMHO.

10. Mudde Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

You might concider taking lvl 21 to get +1d6 damage and make the fists count as +4 weapons but you wont get any increase in BAB or savingthrows by taking that lvl.

11. Stripes55 Gems: 1/31

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I decided to take the 1 level of Painbearer. One thing I noticed, it doesn't look like my BAB for unarmed attacks suffered because of it (there was no change on the stat sheet after I leveled). I'll probably take the next level as a monk for the "+4" fists mainly...not sure after that...but it'll be a while before I get to that point.

12. Shrikant

You wont feel any difference till you get +1BAB from a class other than Monk.

Clerics get +.75BAB/level. So you obviously wont see any difference yet.

13. Stripes55 Gems: 1/31

So then, I'm OK if I stick with just the one level in Painbearer, but the minute I take the second level, I'll see the change?

If that's true, I think'll I'll keep leveling as a monk...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.