1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

More dual class questions

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Manton, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Manton Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I understand that if you dual class a figher to mage, you CAN wear armor--you just can't cast spells with it on.

Well, what about dual classing a fighter to thief or cleric?

If thief, are you restricted to studded leather, or is it just that you can't use thief skills with any stronger armor?

And as cleric, are you barred for life from using bows and swords and the like?

Also: After dual classing, you have new weapons proficiences to spend. Once you get your old class back, what happens to your second class's weapons proficiencies? Are they added to the old ones (making you really, really powerful)? Do they just disappear? Or something else?

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    (a) as a dc fighther thief you just can´t use your thieving abilities in any armor heavier than elven chains and studded leather.

(b) as a cleric you are restricted to clerics weapons: means warhammers, flails, maces, staffs, slings - powerful weapons.

(c) after dualclassing is complete (means, once you are higher than in the first class) the proficiency slots add up. You can wait with level up till you reach this point, but your char will be *extremely* vulnerable in the meantime.

3. Manton Gems: 3/31

Ragusa: Okay, so say as a fighter I pour a three slots each into short bow and longsword. Then, once I dual to thief, I split my points between short bow and longsword--maybe I would get three, so one in the bow and two in the longsword.

Are you saying that after I got my fighter skills back I would have five in longsword and four in short bow? That seems pretty darned good to me . . .

What advantage would there be to waiting to level up? (I assume you mean, wait in the second class until you have accumulated enough xps to vault you past the level of your first class at one stroke.)

4. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

1st. About adding proficiencies
    You dont get to add your thief proficiencies to Your fighter's proficiencies. You start from scratch. When you reach the level when you activate the fighter class you will get the number of profieciencies from the class that had the highest.... Hmmmm an example is better: Bob has 2 slots in Long sword from his fighter class and 1 from his thief class. Bob will get the highest of the two. Thus getting 2 slots in longswords.1

2nd about waiting to level up:

I think Ragusa means that if You wait to level up from 1st level to perhaps 10th level in one stroke, You get to spend all earned proficiency slots ontop of Your previous characterclass's slots. uhhh... Easier to explain in an example.

Bob is a 9th level fighter spends 2 slots in bow. He dual class and waits to level up untill he is 10th level thief. He gets 2 proficiencies. But his passive class (fighter) is activated so he can put the 2 proficiencies in bow, thus getting 4 slots in bow

5. Manton Gems: 3/31

Nobleman: I see how that would be mighty risky--you have to play as a first level character for days and days.

But does it work?

6. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

IF It doesn't work I can see no reason in what the Wise Ragusa says. I guess He will be the Judge of this. I haven't tried it myself.
    I can't see any other reason to wait to levelup.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] :D It works .... I played a dc fighter-thief (lvl-6 fighter/ lvl-* thief) I mported from BG-1. I experienced it during the importing process:
    I first had to spend the fighter-prof-slots and then the thief prof slots. I was able to achieve grandmastery right from the start because my fighter class was active again. So I didn´t had to suffer the "time of eternal waitng" :D

About playing 1st level char through BG-2 to avoit wasting prof slots ... would be difficult but it should be possible.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited June 11, 2001).]

8. Lothar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Minor spoilers below-nothing someone who has gone through waukeen's promenade hasn't encountered before.

It actually is relatively easy to level up, unless you dual classed at above level 9 in the first class. To be kinda cheap (dismiss all party members, do this, and then pick them up again), or just normally as a solo, you can do the circus quest-dc right before answering the genie's question, thus getting a nice stack of 15 or 20k exp, that puts you at level 3-5 in the second class. This is enough to beat the 'peasants' Giving Aerie her sword give you another 20k exp. At this point you are at a high enough level that you can play as a slightly less powerful, but relatively normal member of the party, or just a kinda weak solo player.

I recommend you put your prof slots into a weapon different from your first class for your second class so you don't waste them. Plenty of good weapons of most types.

9. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Its one cool trick Ragusa ;) Living on the edge. but mage 1st level.. Boy thats a challenge, and doesn't give much.

A theif I agree is the best for this. hmmmm could be tried. They don't need much xp to go 10th.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited June 11, 2001).]

10. Manton Gems: 3/31

Just to be clear:

I start out as a level 8 fighter with 6 points to spend. Since I intend to dual to cleric, I put 4 in warhammer and 2 in sling. On reaching fighter level 9 I put one more in hammer, since that is my main weapon.

Then at fighter level 9, I dual to cleric. Throughout my rise as a cleric, I put all my points in sling, and once I max that out, into sword and shield.

Once I get to cleric level 10, my fighter skill come back. At that point, am I back to my level 9 fighter proficiencies ONLY? I.e., 5 in hammer, 2 in sling?

Are ALL the points I earned as a cleric simply gone?

11. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No, your proficiencies will merge, but if your two classes have proficiencies in common (such as the sling in your example) you do not add the proficiencies, you take the larger of the two...

12. shadow_thief Guest

really??? didnt no that...i dont like to dual class my chars...i like my chars fully expierenced

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.