1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

More newbie questions

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by andyg3, Aug 24, 2001.

1. andyg3 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I decided to restart the game as a monk. I'm doing all right now. I freed Hendak in the Copper Coronet, decided to leave to go to De'Arniss keep, had an encounter on the way where we picked up an injured man and delivered him to the Harpers in the Docks. Poked around in the docks for a while, started a few quests there, including infiltrating Mae-Var's guild. Jaheira was cursed. Then I headed out to De'Arniss again. That place wasn't too bad, except for the final encounters. Those umber hulks kept wiping us out, until I was able to break them up into smaller groups. The final three trolls wiped the floor with my party multiple times. After sleeping on it. I had Yoshimo set some traps, lure the head troll guy into the other room, close the door and then kill him. The other two trolls were still tough, but we finally took them down.

My party:

Me - Monk
    Minsc
    Jaheira
    Anomen
    Yoshimo
    Aerie

It's a fairly good mix with four combat types, three healers, and one thief. We're short of magic, with Aerie being the only mage.

Now the questions:

Should I swap Yoshimo for Nalia, since she's a mage/thief? Is she multi-classed or dual classed? I could dump her for Imoen once we get her out. However, I've read that Yoshimo is necessary for a few quests later, and I'd hate to miss out on them.

In skimming through some of the web sites, I've read about NPCs leaving my party. When they go, do they take all of their gear? How do people handle this?

Does Jaheira's curse worsen over time, or are the lowered stats the only ill effect? I've read I need to find Plover's house in the slums, so I guess I'll do that next.

When I returned to town, I was met first by a messenger, telling me Anomen's sister had died and we need to investigate. Shortly after that, another messenger ran up to tell us Aerie's uncle Quayle was looking for us. (He's not really her uncle, is he? ) Does it matter what order I do these quests in, and is there an rush to respond to these messages?

Mae-Var asked me to steal a necklace from a priestess of Talos. Yoshimo piped up that this might not be a good idea. Since he'll be the man doing the deed, is there any cause for concern here?

Thanks for all the help.

Andy

2. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

<<Me - Monk, Minsc, Jaheira, Anomen, Yoshimo
    Aerie It's a fairly good mix with four combat types, three healers, and one thief. We're short of magic, with Aerie being the only mage.>>

Agreed - a decent mix. Can be powerful at higher levels, but until Anomen begins to level, you might be short cleric/healling spells.

<<<Should I swap Yoshimo for Nalia, since she's a mage/thief? Is she multi-classed or dual classed? >>>

I prefer Nalia over Yoshimo in general. At low levels, she reminds me of how useless Aerie is at similar low levels - HOWEVER, as the game progresses, both become pretty good. Unfortunately, Nalia is a dual=classed thief and will never improve in that area.

Yoshimo has mediocre thief skills at best by the end of the game - especially when compared to Jan or even Imoen's 7th level skills. Just an opinion there - but sure to stir up all the pro-bardic types.

So, I generally keep Nalia the whole game or just for a bit and then switch to either Jan or Imoen later in the game.

<<NPC's - When they go, do they take all of their gear? How do people handle this?>>

Well, you can either role-play this or "cheat" using fore-knowledge. Role-playing-wise, when they leave, they leave and you lose their gear - whatever it happens to be. You can mini-cheat with this line by just allowing them to carry the bare essentials at all times, figuring that they would take their armor and weapons with them in any case.

The fore-knowledge cheat is to wait until they leave, pause, reload, strip the character and then let him/her go on his way.

In the real-woeld, are you godd/evil or lawful/chaotic? THis can guide your choice here.

<<Does Jaheira's curse worsen over time, or are the lowered stats the only ill effect?>>

If I remember correctly, she will die if you don't solv her problem here. There is a cure - find it and there are no long term efffects. Don't find it, or find it too late and the effects are permanent.

<<Ref Aerie's messenges from "uncle" - Does it matter what order I do these quests in, and is there an rush to respond to these messages?>>

Nope. No rush. These are lead-ins to or areinvolved in the Aerie romance, a couple of sub-quests and just game storyline fill-ins in my opinion. I have waited as long as the second to last chapter to do all of the Aerie-related things - just to see if I could - and it had no effect on the game except I didn't get/couldn't complete the romance (obviously).

<<steal a necklace from a priestess of Talos.>>

This is part of the main storyline if you side with the thieves guild over Bodhi... If you chose to side with the thieves, it is unavoidable. Your alternative is siding with Bodhi - and her tasks are much bloodier.

Either way, if a party is good/neutral-aligned - which yours is - you will have to do some unsavory things to finish the game anyway... And this little job really doesn't require ANY killing....

Good luck. Hope this helped.

[This message has been edited by Kailynne Johanne (edited August 24, 2001).]

3. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Nearly all of the NPCs in the game have their own personal 'quests'. Some of these will cause them to briefly leave the party while you complete the quest part. But you do get them back once you complete the quest. And yes, they take all of their gear with them. I won't ruin it for you, but you can search the site for loads of info on these quests. Most of the quests are pretty good, and they add a lot to the role-playing component of the game.

And you can swap NPCs any time as you need certain skills -- but you'll probably find that you like certain ones better than others anyway. But this comes in very handy when your NPCs start leaving you. I once had three of them leave me within on game-hour and I had to decide whose quest to do first!

Nalia is dual-classed, not multi-classed. IMO she's pretty useless as a thief.

Hope this answers your questions. Good luck :)

4. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

When you dismiss an NPC from your party, they take all their inventory with them. When you accept them back into the party, their equipment comes back with them.

There are a few hints relating to Jaheira's curse, and she will indeed die if she is not cured quickly enough. You are supposed to look for Baron Ployer, who is living in poverty, or his employed mages, who wear green robes. If you want more precise directions, scroll down. (spoilers.)
    Head over to the Government District. If you ask about in the Council of Six building, you won't find anything. When you come out, though, a mage wearing green robes, Terrece, will give you an offer.

Baron Ployer's house is called 'Derelict House' in the Slums District of Athkatla. You must kill him (and his mages if you didn't speak with them). On his corpse is a lock of Jaheira's hair. Give it to Jaheira and rest, and her stats will gradually rise.

5. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Just a little spoiler: don't get too chummy with Yoshimo.

6. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

don't bother with either of Nalia or Yoshimo. Imoen is better than both of them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.