1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

More on Insomnia

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Never Is A Promise, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Never Is A Promise Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well right now its 3:20am here in the UK and im sat in the lounge trawling the internet in an attempt to wear out my mind. Its not unusual for me to be up at this time and to be honest its starting to piss me off. Its somthing ive been putting up with for about 4 months now and im at the point where im seriously considering the doctor for some kind of sleep aid.
    BUT before i do that ive decided to ask all the wise people here if they know any LEGAL sleep aids. so far my: read smoke and drink lots of earl grey, methood is failing horribly. Any ideas floating arround out there?

oh and ive already tried herbal sleeping tablets (from the chemist) but they taste and smell awful (a bit like dog worming tablets) so i want to avoid them.

[ February 12, 2003, 04:28: Message edited by: Never Is A Promise ]

2. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

:bang: may result in :sleep: ... but it does have some side effects. :grin:

3. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Uhhh...I won't ask how you know what dog worming tablets taste like...

Try taking a long hot shower, that works for me.

If you prefer to take pills, try Unisom Sleep Aid...I saw a tv ad for it. It's a sleeping aid without any pain killers. I would use it if I ever had trouble slppeing. But with the way I deprive my body from sleep, that doesn't happen very often. :rolling:

[ February 12, 2003, 09:01: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Let's see if I have this straight - you want to fall asleep, so you're drinking "lots of Earl Grey?" Please tell me it's the decaffeinated version, or have we found the root of your problem right there? I'm not a smoker, but isn't nicotine another stimulant? Sounds to me like you're defeating your own purpose.

No caffeine (e.g., cola, Barq's root beer, coffee, tea, chocolate) after 4 pm is the general rule for people who have sleep problems.

[ February 12, 2003, 16:13: Message edited by: Rallymama ]

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Earl Grey is a tea? If so, you really shouldn´t drink it before trying to sleep. Tea has caffeine (sp?) only a bit less than coffee.

Dunno of the legal methods, but try taking a sip of strong brandy before going to bed. I have heard it helps... (but do not take sleeping pills with it! :D )

[edit] Damn simultaneous posts... [/edit]

Below. IotD; "Try bed-time exercise."

[ February 12, 2003, 21:46: Message edited by: Virne ]

6. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I don't know how old you are but try this:

Drink two glasses of red wine every night, you'll sleep like a baby

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nicotine is a stimulant, but someone that is addicted to nicotine needs his nicotine to be able to sleep, otherwise the craving for his nicotine is more distracting than what any stimuli from the nicotine can be.

8. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Try exercise. I know it's hard to get the motivation, but try to go out for a run, or do some hard swimming or something early evening and you might find you tire from it in a couple of hours.

During the warmer months in the uk when i can make the effort to do swimming, i try to almost exhaust myself by the end of a session, and i never have a problem sleeping those nights.

9. Never Is A Promise Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well to the first reply, The dog worming tablets is from my days in the army, a drunken bet that i will never repeat :p

The smokes are a must or ill go insane and they do help me relax, the earl grey i guess i can cut out :( , the alcohol might be an idea, probably try a 'hot toddy' before bed.

i never really go swimming but ill give it a go, and i guess i could go to the gym more often (even if it is just for the guys :D )

thanks everyone!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.