1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

More Popups?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Register, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Is it just my computer that have been infected with yet ANOTHER spyware or have SP and BoM hightened the number of popups lately? Now I can't enter one single page on BoM without getting a "Screansaver" (yes, they spell it like that :rolleyes: ), one titled "Warning", or some other advertisments.

2. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I usually get the "Warning" popup when I go from the front page to the BoM. It has been like that since the last upgrade or so. So it's not just you Caleb. And it's not just us either because the other computers that I use to access SP also spawn the popup.

[EDIT]Tested... ok, Firestorm's below post seems right. Sometimes I go to the message board too fast that the popup doesn't load before that[/EDIT]

[ December 01, 2004, 09:01: Message edited by: Blog ]

3. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Hmm, I only get one popup, and that's when I enter the frontpage. It's always the "Warning"one. Neever when I enter BoM

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I get a bunch of "Jamba" ones everytime I refresh. I hate jamba, stupid silly cellphonethingies provided. It is a localized pop-up though.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

What pop-ups and ADs? :hmm:

:xx:

6. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Stop using Microsoft Internet Explorer, download Mozzila Firefox (or one of the other browsers, that one is just my fav) and forget about pop-ups!

7. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I only get the 'Warning' or other firewall related products pop-up. Its the normal 1 every 12 hours.

You got spyware Caleb* ;)

8. Register Gems: 29/31

Okay, that's it, IE is done for. Now, Firefox is coming to my closest computer, and that'll be this one.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Darkwolf, yes, and it's also a way to deprive SP of even the few cents you would contribute to it otherwise. :rolleyes:

The pop-ups on SP and the boards have been the same for the last 3 months. You get ONE (1) every 8 hours, either on the site or the boards. If you're getting any more than that, you either a) don't have cookies enabled (the duration between pops is set in a cookie) or b) are infected with something which is spawning pop-ups on its own, but not from SP.

I think that anyone who gives a rat's ass about SP can live with one pop-up every 8 hours. Those who care enough to actually support SP with a donation can turn all ads off anyway.

10. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I never get pop ups on the site, even when I use IE at school.

11. Register Gems: 29/31

I would like to, but as I said, IE is infected with spyware and sends up a popup at EVERY new page, including the polls browsings. It isn't on any other website, only on BoM.

I will, probably, contribute in March. I know it's a far way there, and I know that I won't be able to contribute too much, but it's the best I can do. I really don't have any income. :(

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's not the amount, it's the thought that counts. Obviously if you have an infected browser I'm not going to ask you to keep using it just so that pop-ups can come up on SP. Though I think that even if you do get Firefox, you can set it to allow pop-ups on certain domains, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.