1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Morrowind OOC

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by The Magister, Mar 4, 2007.

1. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    [​IMG] Simply put, I was thinking of makeing a Morrowind RPG. Now obviously there are going to be problems, which I will adress in turn.

The Classes
    The Elder Scrolls have never had a defined class system. There is magic, stealth and really big weapons, but no restrictions on who can use what.
    e.g A mage using a two-handed sword and wearing heavy armour.

This means that this will be an open RPG. No dice or class restrictions, but no overpowered characters who do everything perfectly.

Religion
    First off: There is no Devine magic in this world. All magic comes from within the person, and it can do everything from heal to destroy.

There is three accepted accepted forms of worship on Morrowind:

The Dadrea: Immortal Spirits who grant favors to those who worship them. Only some are accepted as many of the Dadrea are destructive in nature.

The Tribunal Temple: Centered around the three "living gods" of the tribunal Vivec, Alimexia and Sotha Sil. These beings gained almost devine power after the war with Dagoth Ur centuries ago, and dedicated themselves to aiding Mankind. None of them have been seen in public in years, and it is belived they are exasusted after fighting to maintain the Ghostfence around the center of Red Mountain, which keeps Dagoth Ur and his minions from excaping.

The Nine Devines: Worshiped throughout all of the Imperial Empire (only grudgingly accepted in Morrowind) The Nine are Gods in the true scene of the word. Rarely interfering with mortals, they do show favor in times of trouble and have been known to chose champions to fight against evil or destructive forces.

Your character can worship anyone of these, or all if you really want to, but it probably wont have much of an impact on the game

A Quest
    Big problem this one. I wont even think of trying to make one until people start to support this idea.

The Start Location
    Most likely one of the port towns. I wont know until I make the quest.

A Map
    For those who have never played the game, I will try and get hold of a map of Morrowind.

Well I think that's everything. If people want to do this, post and tell me. Any background information on the world, the races etc. will be posted if the topic attracts interest.

[ May 05, 2007, 05:32: Message edited by: The Magister ]

2. Dalamar Maximus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I have played the game, but I got sick of running around so much, that I stopped. But sure sounds fun.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

One of the key things about Morrowind was that it was not just solo, but YOU against an army. The first thing I'd say about this is that while it can hit the setting, it will be nothing like the game itself simply because there will be more than one person in focus.

Regarding the map, I can help there. There was a poster map included with my "Game of the Year" Edition, which I can scan and send to you.

I also have a rather broad idea quest-wise. I figure it ought to have something to do with the Great Houses, the Ashlanders, and the Imperials. Specifically the tensions and intrigue between the groups, like the contested Caldera mine or the Mages Guild monopoly. Rather than picking a religion, we could pick a faction to belong to. Maybe working at cross-purposes, maybe working together...it might be interesting.

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Being an addicted Morowind fan I would be interested. I would like my character to be a secret blade working for the Emperor and belonging to other factions as a cover.

Probably my character would be a Redguard Spellsword since that is my favorite. Unless I change my mind and do an assassin.

5. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Well so far so good. A few more people and I'll start on the storyline and quest.

All fractions will be available to players. Whether is be a Great House, The Fighters Guild or even the Dark Brotherhood.

A note on the Great Houses: You may only serve or be a member of ONE, as the Houses frequently dissagree on political matters and it may cause conflict of interest. This is a rule of Morrowind and not just something I made up.

Vamperism and Lycanthropy: Err... look I wont stop you if you really want a vampire or werewolf character, but the problems created by their conditions would make any advantages sort of redundant.

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If we are playing by Morowind rules no one starts off as a vampire or werewolf. That happens later in the game.

Do you intend to have us all Empire rejects sent to Morowind? Will we start at level 1? If not I think there should be a limit, say no more than level 4?

7. Nakia

Media:
    @The Magister, I would really like to do this. I know you were waiting for others but a lot of people wait for an RP to get started then if it grabs their interest they join in. I have no idea how many people here have played Morowind but there are also Oblivion players. Are you still interested in starting a Morowind RP?

If anyone is interested who does not have either Morowind or Oblivion I would be happy to help with generating a character for them. Both games have a variety of classes as well as custom classes.

8. Dalamar Maximus Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I have played it, but it seems to have passed my memory. The only thing I can really remember is that it was very hard, and confusing.

9. Nakia

Media:
    I am seriously thinking of starting a Morrowind based adventure. It would take place after the Blight quest. I would like the main quest to unfold slowly but in true Morrowind style there would be plenty of room for freelance quests.

If anyone is interested please post here or PM me.

Basic Morrowind rules would apply as well as the normal RPing rules. Mainly do not manipulate another's character without permission.

10. Felinoid

I'm naturally interested, though I'll probably be a late-comer; I'll build my character around what I think the group is lacking.

11. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Not interested in any role-playing, but I had to comment on this:

Mine is torn as much as possible without it being ripped, every crease has a very near full length tear... it makes it feel used.

12. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    I think this would be better of with Nakia in charge. She has far experience in these sort of things.

This is a little something I made a while ago when I couldn't sleep. Wether it's relivent is up to you. I think I might help with backstory.

----------------------------------

“…But most serious are the plagues and diseased hosts produced by the blight storms sweeping out from Red Mountain. Vvardenfell and all Morrowind have long been menaced by the legendary evils of Dagoth Ur and his ash vampire kin dwelling beneath Red Mountain. For centuries the Temple has contained this threat within the Ghostfence. But recently the Temple's resources and will have faltered, and the threat from Red Mountain has grown in scale and intensity. If the Ghostfence should fail, and hosts of blighted monsters were to spill out across Vvardenfell's towns and villages, the Empire might have no choice but to evacuate Vvardenfell district and abandon it to disease and corruption.”

Extract from “A short History of Morrowind” by Jeanette Sitte (Yes I actully copied this from the game)

This book extract explained the situation in Morrowind as it stood for centuries, with the Tribunal maintaining the Ghostfence and Dagoth Ur fighting to spread his blight across the land. However the book is rather outdated…

“No! What are you doing?! Stop! ” Dagoth Ur screamed, but it did little to avail him.
    The Heart of Darkness was pierced by Keening, shattered by Sunder, scattered to the ebb and flow of the winds within the volcanic cavity. Then the Nerevarine turned to face him, and Dagoth Ur saw his death in that face… in the face of his old friend.

Thus the threat of the Blight of Red Mountain was ended. The Ghostfence faded, Corpus Disease was no longer spread by ill winds and foul spell, the land returned to a semblance of peace and the Temple of the Tribunal began to decline, as their power had derived from the Heart. Without it they were losing their immortal abilities. Vivec, Almalexia and Sotha Sil were no longer gods among men.

13. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I would definatly be interested as well. I am asuming this will be a freeform write-what-you-do rp? If that is the case a level system really isn`t nessecary. But is this rp going to be based on the main quest in the morrowind game? or is it just one that uses the morrowind map, so to speak?

14. Nakia

Media:
    Thank you, The Magister, I think that would fit nicely with the idea I have. :lol: Me? Experienced? Ha, I do love Role Playing but I am no Dungeon Master and can use all the help I can get.

@Rawgrim and others interested.
    The main quest in Morrowind is finished. The Emperor is still alive. So it takes place between Morrowind and Oblivion. As for leveling Fel and I have discussed that in FAI and haven't reached any conculsion. I think the characters should start between level 4 and 12. But as to how to level up? Probably free form. Morrowind is not AD&D. You level up each skill which gives points toward the character's level.

If anyone who has not played Morrowind or Oblivion is interested I can provide links that would give basic information. Morrowind is pretty much a free form, play-as-you please game. There are a few rules regarding joining guilds and houses which The Magister has already mentioned.

As to class of character, Morrowind is pretty much unlimited. There are NO dragons in Morrowind. I also think that water breathing should be an Argonian ability and the claw feat a Kajiit ability or maybe night-eyes a la Oblivion.

Setting up your Character can be a little complicated because you choose a race and a birth-sign then whether you specialize in Magic, Combat or stealth. You get 5 major skills and 5 minor skills then a bunch of misc skills.

Did I forget something? Probably.

15. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Well it sounds great then. One problem though. If we play with a dungeon master or something wouldn`t that mess up the freeform game? Freeform is pretty much make up stuff as you go along, within reason. Or do we play on irc or msn messenger or something like that?

16. Nakia

Media:
    Rawgrim, :D if I'm the Dungeon Master believe you me it will be free form. Sure I have a Main Quest in mind. Have to have main quest its traditional. Our biggest problem is how and why to get together. The way I'm thinking now is that my character is there because of the Main Quest but everyone else would just be adventurers or those unlucky souls sent to Vvardenfell to get them out of the way.

The game would be here in the Role Playing Corner. Too many different time-zones and schedules to get together on IRC.

Now you may ask "Is Nakia's character going to be the boss of the group?" :evil: Only if the game lags or gets out of hand. I believe in sharing the responsibility.

17. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Well I guess I will sign up then. But if it turns into a godmoding fest I will bail out hehe.

18. Nakia

Media:
    Not sure what you mean by godmoding fest :) but if you mean the gods are running around doing things don't worry they aren't important. If you mean the characters are supermen/women neither Fel or I like that sort of thing. Although it is pretty easy to be uber with potions and artifacts. We just have to use common sense and all enemies should be at least as tough as our characters. This type of RP depends on the players.

I believe in team work. Someone might want to play a Camonna Tong or a Dark Brother. These will be the enemy. This would present a problem since actually killing another player's character is a no-no unless they want to be killed for some reason.

Also, Camonna Tong members may only be native born Dunner. No outlander may join. The Camonna Tong hates outlanders.

19. The Magister Gems: 26/31

Media:
    @Nakie: The Dark Brotherhood are murderers and outlaws in Morrowind, but they realy only kill those their payed to.

How about the followers of a Daderic Prince as an enemy? Sheorgath the mad for example.

------------

I've made a list of all the factions in Morrowind that I could think of.

The Dark Brotherhood:
    Outlaws, murderers and assissans, the Brotherhood is illeagle in Morrowind and anyone caught dealing with them is dealt with by the authorities... if they can catch them.

The Imperial Cult:
    Charged with spreading the teachings of the Nine Devines to the Vvardenfell province, they have been met with varing degrees of sucess. The Imperial forts welcome them, the Houses are at least acepting of them, the Ashlanders resentfull of them. Members should be skilled in the non-destructive sides of magic such as the art of restoration.

The Tribunal Temple:
    The established Religion on Morrowind, centered around the Tribunal "Mortal gods". Has more power then any one of the Houses, it bosts the most dangerous and devout mortal warriors in the world, known as Ordinators. The Temple has massive political power and has a very negitive view on outsiders. However with the power of the Tribunal decreacing, the Temple will most likely lose most of it's power in the comeing years.

The Camonna Tong:
    If there is a group more resentful of the Imperial ocupation, I dont know it. Members can only be Dark Elves who were born and raised on Morrowind. The Camonna Tong are the long established crime syndicate in Morrowind, dealing mostly in smuggling and using brutal and often messy tacticts to get what they want. They are based in most of the port and fishing towns of the Bitter Coast, and will not hesitate to remove any who show to much intrest in their actions.

The Morag Tong:
    The Morag Tong are the offical assissans of Morrowind. Mostly employed by the Great Houses to remove compitation, they are protected by law and can preform their duties without interfrarence by the guards. Still, they value stealth and subtely in their agents, rarely takeing on anyone who can't avoid notice.

The Guilds:
    Fractions that arived when the Imperials did, they are an accepted part of Morrowind... sort of. The three Guilds are:

The Mages Guild:
    By law the Guild are required to teach magic to those that ask, whether they by members of the guild or not. Old and established in the other Provinces of the Empire, the guild lacks infulence in Morrowind, and is often at odds with House Talvanie over matters of magic. Members muct have knowlage of all areas of the Arcane

The Fighters Guild:
    Effectively a "Mercaneries guild" The Fighters will offer their sword arms to whomever payes them (Providing it's not illeagle). The Fighters will accept anyone with a clean criminal record and the skills to match the title of "Fighter". A common joke is that the Guild always sends it's new recruits out on rat killing jobs.

The Thieves Guild:
    Not really a guild, but it's large enough to warrent the name. The Thieves guild is a collection of thieves, pickpickets, "Upstairs men", "Locksmiths" and other such foke. Appart from the obvious fact that they steal for a living, the guild had a code of ethics and morals (you could say rules) that it's members are expected to follow.

The Great Houses: There are three of them, each with pros and cons, each with differant objectives, each with different views on ethics and outlanders, etc.

House Telvanni: (Most likely spelled wrong)
    The wizard house of Morrowind, they care for little outside their own personal goles. Liveing in towns built out of a Magical fungus and shaped by magic (with the wizards tower in the center of the town) they are foes to be feared. The Tavanie do not acept any members who do not have at least a basic knowlage of magic. They control most of the easten lands of Morrowind, and they dont care about much outside their own cities.

House Redoran:
    Possably the most noble of the houses, Redoran have always represented the warriors of Morrowind. They are extreamly resentful of the Imperial occupation of Morrowind. Members must be skilled in combat with any type of weapon.

House Hlaalu:
    The most accepting of the Imperial forces on Morrowind (at least at first glance) they trade, negoatiate, talk, and swindle the Imperials in trade deals. Members should have knowlage of speachcraft, presuation and other such arts... and should be quick with a dagger should the need arise. They control most of the trade within Morrowind (Such as ebony) and are based mainly in Balmora.

The Imperial Leagion:
    Charged with maintaining Imperial law (and control) in Morrowind, the Legion is made of the finest soliders in the Empire. They have a stronge preasence in all the Imperial towns (like Ebonheart and Pelagiad) and forts (such as Moonmoth). Usuly the Legion is willing to take on any recruits with basic knowlage of any weaponery

Edit: Spelling and the Legion. Thanks Felinoid

[ May 05, 2007, 17:21: Message edited by: The Magister ]

20. Felinoid

House Hlaalu, House Telvanni, and I think you missed the Imperial Legion. The other two Great Houses that aren't on Vvardenfell are House Dres and House Indoril.

Also, fractions are three-fifths, or a quarter, or something like that. You're talking about factions. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.