1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Most Powerful Weapon in IWD2

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by weiss kreuz, Dec 26, 2002.

1. weiss kreuz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

What do you guys think is the best, most powerful weapon that can be found in IWD2?

2. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well I have no experience with HofF, which strikes me more as an adrenaline rush or 'divide and conquer unto the extreme' than role-playing. I do have plenty of experience with normal though.

There is a certain subjectivity involved,

If heavy damage to the max is your thing, to the point that your willing to compromise on Armor Class, the two-handed Slayer Sword of Xvim +5 is as good as it gets.

If you like both attack and being able to defend yourself, (like me) the Holy Avenger plus Shield is my recommendation.

As far as sneak attacks and a weapon that overcomes low base attack bonuses by bypassing armor and shield bonuses, the Brilliant Short Sword +5 is the way to go.

3. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I think that just depends... Depends on what, you ask? Well, it depends on race, class, playing style, case etc.
    So, I think there is no best weapon. However, there are good ones, such as:
    'Cera Sumat' Holy Avenger
    Brutal Impact
    Club of Disruption
    Arc of Gold
    Iron Arbalest
    Brilliant Short Sword +5
    Halberd of Hate
    Some greataxes

Some random items are really good.

EDIT: Ups, I forgot "Balance" which is very useful.

[ December 26, 2002, 09:59: Message edited by: ANAKHA the ALMIGHTY ]

4. Misiek Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It depends.......but my favourite is as follows:
    Cera Sumat + Golden Heart of ..... ; i think this combination is quite powerful:)

5. Necrophex Gems: 5/31

I agree with Beren, a paladin shouldn't dual-wield :)
    The look cool with sword + shield. So the Cera Sumat is your best choice!
    I know some people are flaming me, saying Cera Sumat sucks, but they just had their expections up to high, the sword RULES!

6. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

I have been playing DiabloII for two years now. As far as I see there are no awesome weapons or armor in IWD2, you understand me if you have ever played DiabloII.
    BUT, the truth is 'Cera Sumat' is the best long sword in normal game and Golden Heart of ... is the best in Hof with 'Light of Cera Sumat'.
    So, I really don't understand why people keep crying about 'CS'. They even do not have an alternative. I never saw someone here or at other forums, saying "... is a better LONG SWORD than 'CS'."
    I also wish I could wield my barbarian with something like "Doombringer". :(

7. Necrophex Gems: 5/31

Yeah I know what you mean...
    I'm I Diablo II expert also, and you're completly right..
    I'd like my sorcerer to have Occolus or Wizardspike..
    In diablo II even with those items, you could be slain...just depends on playing skill
    This would be nice in IWD2

8. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Roekemoes,

Know that you're not alone. I also am a tireless champion of the Paladin kicking butt with the Holy Avenger.

I've listened to the criticisms of how Paladins are useless in HofF. I have to admit, I'm rather put off at the very thought of trying HofF. I'm certainly not one to back away from a challenge. I've killed both Improved Irenicus and Ascension Melissan with both my good and evil parties. But from what I've heard, HofF often bogs down into two scenarios.
    1) Creeping forward, and crossing your fingers that only monster creeps forward so that you can kill everything one at a time.
    2) a macho WWF style slugfest where everybody is left with less than ten hit points, because they barely managed to get in the last killer massive damage blow.
    Well, maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I'm hearing. It just doesn't do it for me.

In normal mode, a Holy Avenger wielding, properly developed, properly equipped, Evil Smiting, Lay on Hands using Paladin will easily be a match for a Fighter or a Barbarian. I mean, a Barbarian's rage only lasts for five rounds. At the end of it, guess what the Paladin is going to do to him?

Now back on Topic, Anakha is right. There's plenty of subjectivity involved, and much depends on your needs and how you've structured your party.

Take for example the frequently overlooked Dagger of Warding. I've always maintained that dual-wielding can be a good idea when the off-hand weapon confers benefits BESIDES one extra attack. The Dagger of Warding provides a Deflection Bonus of +3. While its damage isn't fantastic, it is a Keen weapon. Combine this with the Improved Critical and Dirty Fighting feats, its attack power actually becomes considerable because it will often inflict Blindness or Slowness.

9. Necrophex Gems: 5/31

I completly agree with you!

I think paladins are a lot of fun playing them.
    Sometimes I get the impression that it all is about results, not of fun playing the game.
    Don't get me wrong, I ain't insulting or judging anyone...but maybe the druid is less powerfull then the cleric (maybe not), but I think a druid is lots more fun to play.

Some thing with the fighter/barb and the paladin.
    I got a fighter/barb before, and he was indeed VERY powerfull...maybe the paladin isn't as powerfull, but he still is a lot of fun to play

10. IaaA? Gems: 5/31

My rogue has a two-handed staff of greater spell resistance +5. She whacks people with it. They are slowed greatly because of the +2 poison damage. Sometimes she gets in the sneak attack and the arterial damage with it also. She often gets in whacks of 50 and I think her best hit was 71.
    In HoF, my rogue (Tiefling) has the most kills with the fighter (human) a close second, but first in experience, but she is also 1 level higher (human pal is also 1 level back and is only about 1-2% lower in kills and exp). The rogue is a Tiefling and her ECL is one lower. Also, I have a pretty good drow sorc/cleric at level 30 (not ECL) with XP for level 33 and then she stopped getting XP. I'm thinking that if I start over again, maybe everyone would use that two-handed staff or maybe get the 10 archane levels so that the rogue can envenom anything -- anybody done this with a rogue?
    n.b. Please note all the she's because they have better pics and if I'm going to stare at my computer all day why not add a little.
    IaaA
    (it's too bad about great weapons for defense in HoF because it doesn't seem to matter -- you always get hit.)
    Edit:
    a comment for Beren. With HoF, you end up learning a lot about the game and you have to learn much better strats to just survive. I just finished ch.3 and used level squatting on that chapter adding two level 1s to increase my XP. There have been two really, really difficult battles so far: 1, top level of the fortress and the host tower mages at the end of ch 3. However, I have only died a couple of times (had to add a cleric, which I havn't used yet because I bought that Nym armor that brings you back to life once a day). Also, I have the Weimer mods (lately they've been updated) for increased XP -- I think this is offset by the game by increasing the difficulty though.
    One other off-topic note here -- in that really difficult battle with the hostower mages, they cast banishment, which killed my Tiefling rogue (bug, I think).

[ December 29, 2002, 16:44: Message edited by: IaaA ]

11. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

Out of topic, I went back to those beautiful Diablo II days when my barbarian was wielded by Bul-Kathos' Children. :)
    Now back to moment, I think a fighter X/paladin 3 wielded by both LoCS and Golden Heart could be very effective even in HoF. However, I must admit that I have never played under HoF mode. While you always get hit whether you carry a shield or not, I think it's reasonable trying to maximize your attacks and damage.
    BTW, I plan that my paladin will have an AC of around 45. Will I be still hit at 3rd or 4th attacks almost automaticly?

12. IaaA? Gems: 5/31

I don't know. All you have to do is read the screens and see the number on the attack and then check the right number to see what he starts with. How do you get up to an AC of 45?
    IaaA

13. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

Well, I haven't calculated it exactly but;
    base - 10
    armor - 10 (mithral field plate +2)
    shield - 4 (tower shield +2)
    dexterity - 2 (mfd +2 allows it)
    deflection - 3 (farmer's cloak)
    generic - 15 (brazen bands, barkskin, flame dance talisman, haste)
    for a total of 44 and you can get it better with more spells.
    Try a deep gnome monk to reach beyond 50!

14. The Archmage Neon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Okay, not to be rude, but one thing keeps bothering me A LOT, you guys keep refering to wielding weapons as: He was wielded by this sword. NO. The sword was wielded by Him, if the sword wielded him, the sword would have to have a certain amount of sentience to control His actions through subtle mind manipulation. It just really gets on me when things like this go on without anyone saying a word to correct such bad grammar.

One last thing, I play Diablo II as well, but what you must understand is that D2 is merely hack & slash, a game that is renouned for it's great combat. But it's story, mechanics, and overall Roleplay developement are horrendous atrocities to all mankind! But as I stated before, it's merely hack & slash. Also, D2 is not a D&D game, so it is far different and very unlike any form of Dungeons & Dragons.

15. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Light of Cera Sumat and your Golden Heart rules. And I love Club of Disruption

16. Laocorn Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I haven't quite finished the game on normal yet. Still in Dragon's Eye, but as far as killing undead go, the Hammer of Lucerne > Club of Disruption. Granted, I just switch to it whenever I see an undead guy, but still! If they don't make the fortitude save, they're disrupted. I know the club allows you to have a shield, but my barb dual-wields anyway, so the point is moot.

Iron Arbalest is good, and I don't know if you could consider the Thunder Clap a weapon or not, but one extra attack every round for a monk is mighty nice. Who gets five attacks per round? That's me.

17. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31

Thank you for the correction and you are not rude. I mean it.
    So, I think I should say "My barbarian was wielding ..."
    BTW, we all know DII is mostly hack&slash however it is not the games we are comparing here but only some swords.
    I still wish something like "Doombringer" was wielded by my barbarian or paladin. :p

Something like this one:

DOOMBRINGER
    Greatsword - TwoHanded
    Damage: 3d12+10
    Attack: +10
    Enchanment: +5
    Special: +30 HP to wielder
    Vampiric: Drains 1d8 HP from target and adds to wielder. (Fortitude save for none) Extra HP disappears after 1 hour.
    Min 18 STR required
    :D

[ January 06, 2003, 11:21: Message edited by: ANAKHA the ALMIGHTY ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.