1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Music is my life

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Zaragoth, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] Hi people. Since this is my 500th post, I felt that it should be something that I really love and something I can say is my life. Music.
    First of all, I'd like to thank metal - for making my life easier when I've felt down.

Ok, to the point.
    What is music to me? I consider music to be a way of understanding or realising who you are.
    Music is what people listen to whenever they are happy, sad, lonely or whatever feeling they have at the moment...
    I play in four different bands, and playing with them makes me feel glad and I don't have to pretend to be someone I'm not. I'm simply a drummer!
    There are lot's of kinds of music styles. There are styles wich I'll never understand - Like Rap or RnB and shit like that. But I don't mind if others listen to it! If that is what makes them happy, then that's ok.
    Well.. I don't think I have much more to say about this.
    I'd like to hear why you listen to whatever music you listen to (not bands only, but styles) and what you find so great about it.
    This might seem a bit strange, but this is how I feel about music - And I don't care of what other people think.
    So... Hail, people! :hippy:
    thx//Zaragoth

[This message has been edited by Zaragoth (edited September 21, 2001).]

2. Hardin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] now a cool topic!

Music, to me, is as natural to people as the beating of their own hearts or the rhythm of their walk...

I like music that is catchy without being trite, intense without going overboard, challenging to sing or play but something one can learn, and most of all, something I can share with other people.

My mood changes, so I am kind of eclectic, though as a rule I am not big on torch/mushy songs or stuff whose lyrics just make no sense to me, or random noises scraped together.

So bring on all the rap, metal, and pop (boy and girl bands especially)... they're entitled to at least one-time listening from me. At least if I'd like to annoy someone, I'd know what kind of music to choose :) Somebody's bound to hate something...

This makes me feel old ... I'm more into symphonies, big band pieces, New Age music, an occasional opera piece or show tune ... elevator music for most of you out there. I like Miles Davis, Coltrane, Louis Armstrong.

But... I also dig the Beatles, the 'Stones, Elvis, Motown, New Wave, Aerosmith, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Jimi Hendrix, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, Korn, Henry Rollins, the early work of Michael Jackson, late 80's/early 90's George Michael, Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley, Elton John, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alice in Chains, Radiohead, Blur, Fatboy Slim, Brand New Heavies, Jamiroquai, the Beach Boys, among others.

You can even slip in some Gregorian Chant. There's so much to list.

Music I can't live without. Music is the rhythm of my life. :)

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] IMHO music is universal language - understandable by anyone. At least should be.

And I'm talking about music here. Not "so called music". And not words in a song.

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Music is the Devil! :evil:

Just kidding - Music is a great thing! I love it when I hear a song I really like on the radio or when I hear a song that reminds me of something in the past; friends or parties or just cool memories.

What I listen to really depends on my mood, I have a pretty wide range of musical tastes.

5. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I thought basketball was the universal language. :1eye:

I think maybe music is proof that God exists. It serves no purpose in an evolutionary sense, for why would anyone bother to make music? It doesn't help us survive in any way. Yet most everyone enjoys it; even those people who say they do not will be moved by a live playing of classical music if it's well done.

6. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Jazz, classical.... I'm old-style I suppose. I do some accompanying (piano) and hoping to learn sax and flute in the near future. I'm really in love with the piano though. I've wanted to play since I was five years old, but didn't get a piano until I was 13. I've often thought that if I had begun at five, I would never have studied engineering or gotten so much into mathematics; my career would probably have been music.

7. Silverblade Guest

Music was my first love
    and it will be my last
    Music of the future
    and music of the past
    To life without my music
    would be impossible to do
    In this world of troubles
    my music pulls me through

-John Miles 1974(?)

I like all sort of music and bands. I propably like the oldies (Child in Time, Bohemian Rhapsody other clasic rock etc.) and New York Blues (B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, Popa Chubby etc.) the most. But I also love to listen to songs from bands like Guns 'n Roses.

P.S. Strange that nobody ever heard of Popa Chubby, he is great.

[This message has been edited by Silverblade (edited October 17, 2001).]

8. Azirath Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

First off I would like to say I am quite the punk, pop, and all kinds of rock fanatic. Music is rediculously important to me, and I find it to be quite expressive sometimes. I would like to use this topic to list a few of my fav bands.

1. Harvey Danger
    2. Greenday
    3. Green Apple Quick Step
    4. Soundgarden
    5. Nirvana

9. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

We can't survive this noisy computer without a bunch of nice mp3s, can we? Nothings was like my now lost collection of classical and trance music. *sigh*

I've started from scratch now. Got 17 mp3 at the moment :D.

10. Music to me means that I can play it and feel better in an instant... although not right now. It means I can be who I am around music, something that I'm not ashamed of. It means I can show off around other people that I don't like pop and enjoy the horror when I see their faces and jaws drop in amazement.

11. TheGoodCaptain Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

To me music means, laughing, crying, jumping around, singing badly. Music helps make good times better and helps you cope with bad times as well. Actually music helps to communicate feelings which words aren't good enough to describe.

I have varied tastes but my playlist for this week is:- Fugazi, Shangri-Las, The Delgados, Slint,The Breeders, D.I.T.C Mogwai and Spiritualized.

12. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Eh, Shadow, I agree with you. Any time I'm depressed, the first thing I look for is a piano. If I can find one, a half hour is usually enough to put me in a much better frame of mind.

13. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] I am jealous of people who appreciate and can play music. For me music is a vaguely pleasant noise to have in the background while you do something else. I have no soul.

14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Zaragoth, I bought Witherin Heughts, Within. It's a cool cd, I don't know if you already know it, else check it out. Zaragoth, also thanks for the good advices you gave about music. All good music comes from Scandinavia ;)

Can't wait till next year: in Januari I got to Symphony X and Savatage (dual concert) and in Februari to Dream Theater!

15. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Music effects me in so many different ways, and it may sound funny, but I don't think that I could live w/o it.

There is the music that I dance to (which in reality is anything w/a good beat.) My friends get angry w/me sometimes when we go out, because once I start dancing I usually can't stop. It is like a drug, and when I dance, the only thing I think about is the music and moving my body in rythm w/it. Everyone says, "You go into some other world, it's like your not even there w/us anymore." On the dance floor is one place where I am not embarassed, afraid, or shy. I just am. And whenever I need to get away from life or I just need to have fun, the dance floor is where I go.

Then there is the fact that whenever I think back over the years, every part of my life is attached to a certain type of music. Or a couple of select songs. Sometimes, if a certain group or a certain song reminds me of something painful, I can't listen to it again until I am certain I am over whatever caused the pain.

I use to play the trumpet. From the fourth grade up until my junior year of highschool. My passion is the sax, but I know it is not me. So, I am going to learn to play the flute sometime in the near future. I have always wanted too.

And the last thing I have to say about music, is that there is something to fit every mood that you could possible have. Sometimes, it is all that gets me through a day. I can lay on the floor in front of my gigantic stereo system and listen to music for hours on end. Sometime I drink to it. Other times I clean to it. Whatever mood I am in, there is always something in my over 300 cd collection that will fit it.

Music was my first love.

16. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Headbanger: Symphony X! One of the best metal bands around! Just saw them live last month, and I was instantly hooked. I hope the Savatage tour comes to NJ.

I guess this is as good a topic as any for my first post. I've been a lurker here for nearly a month, and I'm already addicted, but till now, just too shy to post.

17. herf Guest

Muisc is an outlet for so many feelings they cant be listed.
    A slow song can soothe my beating heart.
    A great drumbeat and some fantastic lyrics release a lot of my anger where nothing and no-one else can.

Music was the only thing that kept me in school for 4 years straight, everyday I went home and listened to my music, nothing could compare. If I hadnt of listened to the music I would have hit a lot more people and with a lot more agression than usual.

Music is fantastic, without it I'd still be stuck in the gutter with nothing to do.

I know a lot of people dont like my kind of music but I love it, I have never found anything that equals its intensity or emotion. It's the only thing that my personality can equal to and compare to, it's the only thing that has kept me going with a minorly sane mind.

18. Thalantyr Guest

/me Looks up and :wave: to Herf.

Not to be mean or anything, but is it just me who is suprised Herf didn't say Slipknot
    during a music post. And now i'm thanking My Friend Chris (Boo and WildMage in chat). For playing his Slipknot Cd over and over and over agian. I got them stuck in my head! Its not really a bad thing, i can see way Herf likes them. Ok back to my answer about music.

I listen to Metal, Punk, and Ska mainly.
    Music makes me feel a special way or ways.
    I say if it Floats you boat, stay with it.
    Just Like Zaragoth said, If thoose styles of music which i dont get like Rap and others like that, make you happy then listen to it.
    I personal cant stand music like that.
    Well im off! Seeya Laters!

[This message has been edited by Thalantyr (edited October 15, 2001).]

19. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Melodic Power Metal rules. When you wanna learn this music and you also like Fantasy, then check this bands out:

Nightwish
    Rhapsody
    Sonata Arctica
    Withering Heights
    Blind Guardian

Enough to start with :)

20. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

to those who like melodic metal: also check out Nocturnal Rites. Great band :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.