1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

My 2011 Fantasy Football team

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Blades of Vanatar, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] My Computer-Generated fantasy team.... I'm liking it. Had to miss the draft, it was the same day as my double B-Day party for my youngest and wife last weekend. I didn't even have time to set my ranking order, it was all Yahoo.... which actually drafted 2 kickers. I immediately dropped one for Driver.

QBs - P.Rivers, J.Flacco
    RBs - A.Peterson, C.Benson, K.Moreno, Tolbert
    WRs - S.Moss, M.Williams(TB), A.Boldin, R.White, D.Driver
    TEs - Gates & the TE from Detroit, forgetting his damn name right now....
    K - Bironas
    Def- GB

Week 1 Lineup is....

QB - Rivers
    RBs - AP & Benson(Not sure, all 3 could start, but Benson is playing CLE week 1)
    WRs - White, Boldin, Moss
    TE -Gates
    W/R/T - Williams
    K - Bironas
    Def - GB

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't recogniose any of those names?

Maybe they are gridiron players and not football players?

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

My apologies Barmy. I sincerely did not mean to confuse you. The next time I will rename the thread "My 2011 Fantasy Football Team, not that pansy-ass, sissy-boy crap you knuckleheads call soccer Team....."? ..... just kidding, I couldn't resist. :D

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Is there even such a thing as fantasy soccer?

My first draft is Monday night and I'm already getting excited and nervous about it. I have the title to defend.

5. Blades of Vanatar

My youngest nephew's team in our league has 3 players with the last name of Johnson. His team name is...My Three-Headed Johnson.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Hell yes.

The TE is Pettigrew - and he's pretty good, but hopefully totally unnecessary with Gates.

I think you'll find that you'll be starting Moreno over Benson in short order. I don't see the Cincinnai offense doing anything this year, and Denver is expected to go to more of a rushing team with Fox taking over. I like Benson as a flex/bye week guy, but I don't think you'll need him as a regular starter.

Is it 3 WRs with a flex (I'm guessing that's the W/R/T position)? If there's a flex spot I'd probably start Moreno as the flex, and put Williams in over Moss.

Some obvious points: Rivers, Peterson, White and Gates are very solid and should start every week barring injury or bye weeks. Williams is almost in that group too, and will start barring very favorable matchups with a lot of other players.

I think Boldin and Moss are bot very solid. Moss is definitely undervalued, and while Boldin didn't live up to his billing last year as a #1 WR, a lot of people are completely ignoring him this year, and he's definitely more than good enough as a #3 WR.

7. Blades of Vanatar

I am reading that Moreno will not be getting the ball in the red zone. That scares me. But I will probably alternate between Benson/Moreno/Tolbert to be safe. Boldin has Evans opposite him now. Hopefully that will pull off the double teams and get him more catches/TDs. The problem with Moss is the WAS QB situation. Grossman is so inconsistant. I don't have any confidence in Beck. It will be hit and miss with Moss.

8. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    'Soccer'?

Sorry, I don't understand this word. I only speak English.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Last year I had four players with the last name Jackson, so my team was the "Jackson 4" complete with the logo of a Michael Jackson thriller action figure.

With McGahee, that's a possibility, but I don't see Benson getting into the end zone much either. Cincinnati is starting a rookie QB, so they are going to stack eight guys in the box, and dare them to throw it. Benson was great two years ago, was OK last year (good enough to start on most teams), but I see a pretty bad year for him. I don't see Cincinnati as a team scoring much this year, so I don't see how Benson is going to score much. As always, you have to consider the matchup, but there's no way considering the year as whole that I would start Benson more often than Moreno.

I had my first draft this past weekend. I kept Vick for a 9th round pick (two rounds higher than I picked him last year). That's the rule we have in our league - you can keep anyone you want, but you have to take them two rounds higher than you did the previous year, so no one can keep anyone they took in the first two rounds.

So I'm looking at this typical starting lineup:

QB: Michael Vick (PHI)
    RB1: Maurice Jones-Drew (JAX)
    RB2: Michael Turner (ATL)
    WR1: Vincent Jackson (SD)
    WR2: Dez Bryant (DAL)
    WR3: Anquan Boldin (BAL)
    FLEX: Ryant Grant (GB)
    TE: Dallas Clark (IND)
    DEF: Eagles
    K: Mason Crosby (GB)

I only picked one true backup RB and WR. I have Brandon Jacobs (NYG) and Chad Ochocinco (NE). This will require me to occassionally start a WR in my flex position, but I'm covered throughout the season with bye weeks. Week 8 is the only somewhat problematic week as both Turner and Grant are on bye, so Jacobs will start in the RB2 slot, and I'll have all four WRs active.

I really didn't want to start out RB-RB this year in the first two rounds, but that's what I got stuck with. Both Andre Johnson and Roddy White were gone by the time I had my pick in the first round (8th overall), and I didn't think there were any more WRs with first round value. So I took MJD. Then the guys in the 9th-12th position all took WRs with their second pick, and so with 6 WRs gone off the board by the time I had 17th overall selection, but with Turner still sitting there, it was an easy choice.

The rest of my team is all handcuffs. I got Rashad Jennings as a MJD handcuff, Jason Snelling as a Turner handcuff, and it was absolutely essential that I grabbed James Starks as a handcuff for Ryan Grant, because there is quiet talk that Starks might be named the starter. I picked up Matt Cassel (KC) as a backup for Vick, although I'm praying he only has to play on Vick's bye week. (KC plays Oakland that week, which is why I went with Cassel.)

10. Blades of Vanatar

Yeah, watch out for Grant. The rumor mill in Cheese-head land is that he has lost a couple steps and will not be carrying the load. They have Statks and Kuhn, who were both very productive in the post-season for GB. I would start The Chad instead at flex.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I'm not too worried about Kuhn. Starks came on strong at the end of last year, but Kuhn and Brandon Jackson were the starters throughout most of the year, and both were unspectacular. If Grant loses the job - and I admit that it's a possibility - it will most likely be to Starks. That said, I can play it safe the first couple of weeks and throw Ochocinco in there, and see how that situation works out. It's rolling the dice if you have one or the other, but I'm confident that even though I don't know who it is right now, I have the starter.

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hurricane Irene postponed my draft until tonight so later on I'll be able to join the fun :)

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I have draft #2 tonight. It's a 12-team standard scoring league, but I'm worried that the new member of the league is a ringer. Get this - the new guy in the league is the brother of Sal Paolantonio of ESPN - the guy they often refer to as SalPal on ESPN. His name is Marc. I fear that his potential knowledge of football and inside stories vastly exceeds that of the rest of our league. And of course his draft slot is right next to my position.

14. Blades of Vanatar

Just more reason to bring beer to the draft. Feed it to him steadily....

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well that sucked. In a draft strategy that I have never tried, and one that is completely out of character for me, I went WR heavy. I hate my team. Here are the results:

QB: Josh Freeman and Matt Stafford - this is OK, the plan going into the draft was to wait on a QB, and grab two decent ones in the middle rounds. Freeman should be solid, albeit unspectacular - and if Stafford can stay healthy for the year (admittedly a big if) - he can be very good.

WR: When you spend three of your first four picks on WRs, you're going to get good ones. I have three #1 WRs: Roddy White, Greg Jennings, and Hakeem Nicks. All 3 are in the top 20 players on most sites, and they are the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th ranked receivers overall. (The rest of the top five are the two Johnsons.) The bench receivers are Lance Moore and Danny Amendola.

RB: That's the end of the good news. My RBs are Knowshon Moreno, Beanie Wells, and Fred Jackson. The bench isn't any more impressive with Michael Bush and Isaac Redman. (Well, if McFadden and Mendenhall both get hurt, then the bench is awesome.)

The rest is just the blah stuff. I took Jimmy Graham of the Saints as my TE, Chargers D/ST, and my kicker is Beuhler (Cowboys).

16. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Well, I think that on my team I want ogres as quarter-, half-, running- and line-backs, whereas trolls should make up the rest. A giant ought to be the kicker. The trainer ought to be a wizard.

17. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Nah, you've got it wrong Ragusa, no generic types picking, you are drafting individuals.

My quarterback was going to be Gandalf, but he had that major mid-season injury when the Balrog leg-whipped him onto the DL, so I'm switching to Croaker. More steady, makes it through season after season, just a solid pick.

For running back, I'm going with the Thing, backed up by the Incredible Hulk. I like a solid straight ahead running back type.

For receivers, I'm taking Shrek on the theory that I can focus him and he'll be my tight end, probably slightly smarter than Shockey and slightly better looking to boot.

For wide-outs, I like speedsters and all around solid guys, so I'm taking Aragorn and Legolas - that marathon run going after Merry and Pippin tells me that they can easily make it through an NFL game.

What??? You did say FANTASY football.

Jeez, get real guys. :p :lol:

18. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would just like to point out that the title of this thread is "My [i.e. Blades'] 2011 Fantasy Football team". So any discussion that isn't about BoV's team is off-topic.**

:p

** kinda like this post. :)

19. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Here's what I picked. I had the 4th pick in a 12 team league that is PPR. We start QB RB WR TE R/W R/W R/W/T K D

Jamaal Charles- RB KC
    Steven Jackson- RB STL
    Peyton Hillis- RB CLE
    DeAngelo Williams- RB- CAR
    Brandon Lloyd- WR- DEN
    Ben Roethlisberger- QB- PIT
    Rob Gronkowski- TE- NE
    Mike Thomas- WR- JAC
    Julio Jones- WR- ATL
    Pittsburgh- D- PIT
    Tony Gonzales- TE- ATL
    Cam Newton- QB- CAR
    Nate Kaeding- K- SD
    Denarious Moore- WR- OAK

Going four RBs to start the draft is really going against my grain, but the WR and QB available just didn't excite me as much as the RBs did. With the flex if I want to I can play them all so it isn't like they will sit on my bench. I'm not convinced that Lloyd will be good enoug to be a WR1, but I'm hoping. I was very pleased to get Big Ben when I did. I totally reached with Gronk at TE and probably could have gotten him later, but this is a NE draft and I wanted him. If Hernandez ends up being better in NE I'll just have to shrug my shoulders. Julio Jones I'm hoping turning into an interesting rookie. When I picked Pittsburgh as my D, I mainly did it because the other options I just didn't think I would ever start. I went to the wayback machine in drafting Gonzo. I figure between the two of them I should be OK at TE and in an emergency I can play both of them as one of our flex positions includes TE. Cam Newton was also a strech play. I figured nobody else would want him, but if he turns out to be good he will be a steal. I'm hoping I catch lightning in a bottle like I did with Vick as a free agent pickup last year. I like getting kickers from teams that score. I'm not even sure who Denarious Moore is, but he was the highest rated player left in round 14.

I can't wait for the season to start.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    That's a solid team Snook. I'm not particularly high on DeAngelo (I think defenses are going to stack the line and force Newton to throw), but only for people who are drafting him as their 2nd RB. As a 4th RB, he's a great option. I also agree that it is unlikely Lloyd will duplicate last year's numbers, but you're only counting on him to be the 6th best player on your team (after the 4 RBs and Big Ben). In that role he should be fine. And with the exception of bye weeks, I also agree with you that you're probably going to be starting 4 RBs and 1 WR.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.