1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Nalia's thiefing exp

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Sorl, Jan 29, 2001.

1. Sorl Guest

[​IMG] Now I don't want to restart the who's the best thief war :) .
    I just found out Nalia - for the same task -gets only about half the exp points as Yoshi.

Is this a bug, or do to her being a brainer or dualed to mage???

Or is it part of the DnD rules that girls get less XP (living in a male dominated environment)??

(BTW I got no patch installed. Not until I once played a monk to the end).

2. toast Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I tried a similar experiment last night.
    Aerie got half the xp as Minsc,Anomen, and Imoen.

32,000 points went out like this
    toast...5864
    Minsc...5864
    Jaher...5864
    Imoen...5864
    Amoen...5864
    Aerie...2680

I've been trying to figure out how to manipulate the distribution. I'd like to get Imoen up to a higher level quick.

Incidently, I ctl/q'ed someone last night who turned out to be a 2nd level thief with higher pickpocket and set traps than Imoen(lvl 7 thief?).

what's with that?

[This message has been edited by toast (edited January 29, 2001).]

3. Taran Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

In your example Aerie gets the same amount of exp. points, her points are split between her two classes because she is a multi-classed cleric/mage.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Jaheira I believe is also multi-classed (fighter/druid), so that explanation doesn't quite work. Besides, if you add up all the numbers toast presented, they add to 32000; there's no missing 2680 for Aerie...

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nope, Jaheira's dual classed...
    I believe Taran got it right.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Really?! I could have sworn Jaheira was multi-classed; that's why she couldn't reach 14th level Druid to take over the grove... Ah well, you win some, you lose some... :)

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    [​IMG] Wait a minute! Jaheira is a half-elf right? She can't be dual classed because she's not human! Or was this another liberty the developers made to the rules?

8. Jaheira us DEFINETELY multiclassed.

9. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

jahiera is one of those "life circumstances" type things, her family was murdered and she was left alone, and some harpers took her in. blah blah u get the idea from there

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well I could be wrong... I don't have her in the party so I can't check right away either.
    But yes, since she's a half-elf she can't dual. My bad.

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Jaheira´s definitely multiclassed - because she´s halfelf. I haver her in my party now and her xp divides cleanly 50/ 50 on fighter and druid.

12. Lo Guest

Jaheira is multiclasses, those who had her for some time might remember her levelling up in both fighter and druid classes.
    And there's definetely something strange with Yoshimo's exp points for doing thief tasks like picking locks and disarming traps. I had a game with a fighter/mage/thief and I was geeting less exp for opening the same locks that Yoshimo opened in my previous game, etc... I don't know the expanation for this, might even be connected with bounty hunter kit or it is Bioware's way of making Yoshimo special the same way Edwin is :)
    And I was just looking at the "Rate NPC Charts" and judging by grand total Jan lvl 8/8 is the best thief with 405 and not Yoshimo lvl 11 with 365 points total. http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough/thief.php
    The table generator is a really cool idea, but I was surprised there was no Total Stats comparison for NPC's. Seems Keldorn with 89 is the best, who would have thought...

[This message has been edited by Lo (edited January 30, 2001).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  13. Taluntain

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  14. Sorl Guest

Nalia certainly is dualed, and gets her points for mage only.
    Besides I didn't check her exp before and after, but looked at the log and what exp was awarded.
    And Joshimo got twice as many points awarded as Nalia (totally independant of how they were distributed later).

[This message has been edited by Sorl (edited January 30, 2001).]

15. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Lo: It´s up to your level - the higher your level is the more difficult the fights will be and the more difficult are tho locks to open. It´s a general rule in BG-2 AFAIK.

When I went to the caves to get this dimension-rod to kill the eyeless beholder I was pretty low level, I guess aroung 9 or 10. After finishing off these neat little spiders in this room I neaded upstairs to this questioon-game and encountered some goblins.
    My second time through I did that quest pretty late, at lvl 15 or 16 I guess. I encountered Yuan-Tis and Yuan-Ti Mages then. In fact it´s boring to slaughter goblins at level 16. :D

16. Mage_0 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I disagree on that my party was level 9/10 and all I got was Yuan-Tis and Yuan-Ti Mages , I recall getting goblins if you didnt go to the screaming wall first.

But after being to the screaming wall , you get Yuan-Tis. Quite a battle for level 10 guys with those damn mages and the wandering horror and two sword spiders.

I suppose if I was a higher level it would be easier , but they were a walk in the park compared to the Guaaths or whatever the things are called that came after that.

17. Sorl Guest

If I remenber correctly Yoshi has slightly higher level than Nalia (he didn't dual). And if thief lvl is concerned he is much higher than Nalia.
    And giving a 10th lvl thief twice the exp as a 4th lvl Thief is absurd (should be the other way around).

18. Cerryl Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

But doing that would only make it easier for us, and they wouldn't want to do that now would they :D. Anyway thinking about it logically I think it's pretty safe to assume that a 10th level thief is going be more involved than a 4th level thief and therefore would probably gain more exp.

It's kinda like what happened in Diablo 2. A low level character just following a high level character in order to complete quest received a tiny amount of exp compared to if they did it by themselves.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.