1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Narnia Might Be in Trouble

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Mathetais, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] I know that there a many LOTR fans here, so I figured that there may be a few people whose hearts remember Narnia.

It looks like Harper Collins has gotten the rights to these 7 wonderful books, and are contemplating all sorts of devilish things to do to them!

Check out this story at:
    http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2001/125/32.0.html

Is this just over-worried Lewis fans freaking out? OR is it a real threat to literacy???

2. Avooch Dar Guest

Don't ask me to give you a decent opinion. But i shall say this. I always liked lucy best for some reason even though she was ugly!

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

That's a pity, I enjoyed the Narnia chronicles... and I hope some sick dude won't spoil the story.

4. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Wow. I'll have to dig those books out and read them again. Apparently when I was in grade school, I completely missed the fact that it was "Christian Oriented". I may have to put them out of my house! ;)

But seriously, if you read the article carefully, you'll see that the books are not going to be edited. "The works of C.S. Lewis will continue to be published by HarperCollins and Zondervan as written by the author, with no alteration."

So what's the fuss? The marketing campaign isn't going to focus on the religious aspect of the stories. So what? I can honestly say, that if it did, then I wouldn't buy the books for my kids. It only makes good sense for the publishers to seek the broadest consumer base, and by marketing the books as religious allegories, they would be severely limiting that base. Fortunately for my girls, I've already read them, and I'll see that they get their introductions as well. With or without the Christian parallels, the stories are wonderful.

This is a perfect example of how a simple premise can be twisted far beyond its original intent by extremists whose only interests are forwarding their own agendas.

There's my rant for the day. Take it for what it's worth. (Not worth the paper it's written on, I suppose. Doh!)

Happy, Mathetais? ;)

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited July 07, 2001).]

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] As already stated I think the most important thing is the Lewis's work is not changed. I read the Narnia books as a youth and I also missed the Christian theme, but when I re-read them in high school it was rather clear that Lewis had a religious agenda. However, excepting that point Narnia is still an excellent series of books. I don't think it's quite LotR level but still the work of a master writer.

In regards to Darien's statement I feel the work should stand for itself. by this I mean if soceity changes and the novels fall out of favor some people will still read and enjoy them. But NEVER change the work of past authors to reflect the ideals fo the day. It is only from the perspective of the past that we can truely examine our current social environment.

6. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] Darien - I am VERY happy!!! :D :)

I did read the article carefully and noticed that line (so maybe I should have capitalized MAY be in trouble).

The "Christian" themes in the Narnia books are very subtle. In fact (as I think the artilce mentioned - or maybe I read it elsewhere) Lewis did not mean for these to be "Christian" books (like Pilgrim's Progress, etc. . .)

Lewis' idea was to write quality fiction with a few themes taken from the Bible (redemption, creation & eternity). And if you don't believe that the Bible is the "Word of God" most people can admit that it is an incredible collection of stories!!!

Please, read them to your children & grandchildren (if you are blessed to have them!)

Just please - don't write new books that turn Narnia into Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms!

Voltric - great points!!!

7. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

As long as they don't start making high budget, slapstick movies based on the books, I'm happy.

8. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I still cant see the christian theme in those books...lol

I also read them all as a little girl and i hope in turn that my little girl will read them :D

9. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Lewis also wrote a book called "The Screwtape Letters." It's about the letters from a devil in Hell (named Screwtape) to his nephew who is in the process of tempting a man to Hell. The nephews letters are not in the book, but you can kind of figure out what he has written by Screwtape's replies. Real interesting stuff. They're also kind of funny is you have a morbid sense of humor.

10. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Personally, I hated the narnia books, thought they were tedious and had a weak story.

11. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Hmmmm, I'll have to look for some copies of these books. I remember having them read to me as a kid, and I enjoyed them very much. I do believe they were intended for a younger audience, so I thought they would be right up your alley Septic. ;)

12. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Septic probably doesnt like anything unless it is depressing or full of violence.

13. shadow_thief Guest

lol...i liked to narnia books too. the first book was a bit confusing, the second book was fabulous, the third was ok, the fourth book was really cool, the fifth book was my FAVOURITE, the sixth book was not too bad, and the seventh book was crappy.

14. Serora Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I loved those books when I was little. C.S. Lewis wrote lots of books about Christianity, so I can see his religion theme.

The Silver Chair was my favorite book. The Last Battle scared the crap out of me. (In 3rd grade)

I am a LOTR fan, and I can't wait for the movie to come out in December!

15. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I loved them all up to the Silver Chair, which I never really finished because it really scared me when I was 8 years old and I haven't bothered to read it since then, though I have seen a reaaaally bad movie version of it. The Last Batle was the worst of the lot, C.S. Lewis must have run out of good ideas by then.

16. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

You still can't see the Christian theme, Kit? I thought for most Christians it was fairly apparent. Am I wrong, or are you religiously inclined otherwise (or perhaps not at all)?

17. shadow_thief Guest

i didn't notice any religiousness in the narnia books...

18. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

I don't want to ruin the books for anyone, but upon request I will describe a few key Christian themes that are in the series.

You tell me if you want me to put up or shut up! ;)

19. shadow_thief Guest

Let's hear them, Mathetais.

20. Serora Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I'm listening... (mabye I missed some!) :cool:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.