1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

National sport?

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by kuemper, Oct 10, 2005.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Curiosity got the better of me, so I searched for America's national sport. All I could find are references to baseball, which I thought was America's national pasttime. So, my questions are:

1) What is your nation's official sport?
    2) What do you/your countrymen feel is your country's national sport?

U.S. - I don't know the official one. Unofficially, I think it's a tie between baseball and football.
    Canada - Official summer sport is lacrosse. Offical winter sport is ice hockey. Unofficially, it's ice hockey.

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Landhockey, for some reason.
    Football, with Hockey and Handball in close seconds and third.

3. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    The hell is that? Nay! In winter we play Icehockey in summer we play Streethockey! C'mon Kuemper where's your priority!

4. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Says you're from Alinge Texas/Sweden, so I assume you mean Sweden when you say our national sport is landhockey. I have never heard of this before, I always thought it was either ice hockey or soccer, but I suppose landhockey could be it too. Are you sure about it though?

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Football
    Football

However, England is sport mad so rugby and cricket are quite big as well. Nowhere near the popularity of footy though.

6. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Football of course.

oh and guys....it's FIELDHOCKEY.

7. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Bahir, I'm sure. Sweden IS the best team in the World at Landhockey, and our only competitors have really been the Soviet Union/Russia, but we have usually have the advantage over them. But officially, landhockey aka (is/ute)Bandy is our national sport.

8. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Finnish national sport is Finnish baseball a modification of the american version, a better modification if you ask me but then as a Finn I'm biased about the issue. ;)

Finnish baseball is mostly played in rural areas and smaller towns, the bigger cities have never done well in it and it's very unpopular in most of south except possibly Hyvinkää which is where I live. Most people would probably feel that ice hockey should be our national sport, since it's by far the most popular sport around here.

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@ofelix - Though you are Quebecois and will argue with me on this, you may wish to read the National Sports of Canada Act cited here.

10. Ofelix

Media:
    That doesn't explain to me what the hell is lacrosse. It can't be my nation sport if I don't know what the bloody thing is!

11. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

12. Ofelix

Media:
    What That thing isn't my national sport? Who decided that?

13. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Well, i know quite a few Canadians and they all play that game, but maybe it's regional, most of the guys i know are from Edmonton and Calgary.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No idea what our official national sport is, even if such a thing exists, but I would expect that most New Zealanders would say that our main sport was Rugby Union Football.

15. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Gaelic Football, Hurling (a more violent version of hockey), and Handball are our national sports though football is more common to play.

Rugby, Ice Hockey and Cricket are also popular.

16. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I must say it's football (soccer)

17. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Being from the USA I have to say Baseball. I prefer futball (soccer).

18. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Twelve-ounce curls.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The U.S. has no nation sport, but there's no tie between baseball and football. Football wins by a landslide in poularity, and in revenue. Most revenue isn't generated by ticket or concession stand sales, it's generated by the TV contracts. The more people who watch the sport, the more the sport can charge for commercials.

Here are the statistics from 2004 (2005 statistics not available, probably because it's still early in the 2005 football season):

Baseball (MLB) revenue (all 30 teams combined): $568 million.

Football (NFL) revenue (all 32 teams combined): $4.2 billion.

So based on this, there are about 8 times as many people watching football as baseball. Even during the baseball playoffs, which is when you would suppose baseball would be at it's most popular, it gets killed in ratings when there is an NFL game on in the same time slot.

20. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I think it's either handball or soccer/football...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.