1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need information on the SDI (Star Wars) program

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Boeing, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Boeing Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I'm currently making a schoolwork about USA:s Strategic Defense Initiative program, also known as the "Star Wars" program. Does anyone here know where (on the Internet) I could find some more information about it? I know that Reagan started it in 1983 to protect USA from Soviet missiles and that Bush has an interest in it as well, but I don't know much more about it...

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Searching the MSNBC database should be a treasure trove of information. I remember reading numerous items on there over the last couple of years. Keep in mind that it has been put on the back burner again until fairly recently. With the going-ons in Afganistan and Iraq, and later with the Columbia disaster, expanding any type of space funding (even for national defense) has not been a top priority. I believe that a good amount of information you get will come from 2001 and 2002, as we're just now starting to get back to it. A lot of that info is going to be on the U.S. pulling out of the ballistic missile treaty.

If you are looking for actual scientific background for how this thing is supposed to work, I doubt that information is public. Any experiments conducted regarding feasibility of the project probably wouldn't have been released, as they would contain technological information that other nations may not have. Obviously, if you are going to do something like this, you'd prefer that yours is the only one in development.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
  4. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Also remember that, at the time, there was alot of dis-information going on in regards to the "star wars" program. The Government was feeding false info to the press and to the Soviets to make them think that the program was going better than planned. IIRC they continued with false reports and false tests well after the program was canceled to keep the Soviets busy spending money on their own programs to counter/copy SDI.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Of course, US reports on failed tests can be seen as a cunning cover to mask their real progress. Lure your enemy in safety ...

... but then, the cruel grilling they tend to get in congress and from GAO for wasting money on failing technolgy and for staggering costs and mismanagement is worth such a trick?

Plus, it undermines your credentials if the shield is meant to deter. That is, by playing weak you might invite a missile attack only to be able to show your strength by defeating it. Well, only a madman gambles with nukes that may wipe out metroples and kill millions. Talk about being irresponsible.
    So, all in all, I think the reports on technical problems are not so much floated but simply true.

Not that that would have ever cared Bush and his crew. The missile shield could be a total crap and they would build it anyway just to make their clientel happy.
    The person who wrote the pentagon requirement for a missile shield came iirc from Lockheed Martin to a think tank only to write that requirement and to go back to Lockheed Martin, as Director of Missile Defense programs. I forgot the actual names, but in due time I could dig them out again. Unfortunately I don't have the time atm. In due time I will.

6. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Lovely, nearly posted a whole book and put it into the wrong thread. Sorry.

7. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

The Global Terran Missile Defense System (GTMDS...nicknamed "Got Doctors" by the developers) was completed and put in place during a series of top secret Space Shuttle missions in 1999 and 2000.

The 21 stealthed satellites maintain a geosynchronous orbit around the Earth, and are currently used on almost a daily basis to repel continual alien attacks that began in October of 2002.

So...before you go to bed at night, genuflect and kiss your picture of Ronald Reagan and thank the generosity of American taxpayers that you did not end up as processed food for Silicon based lifeforms from Andromeda.

OK, the medication has taken effect...

For the most part the SDI research over the last 10 years has focused on shorter range interceptors and the tracking and accuracy thereof...such as Patriot missile batteries. Some work has continued with ICBM style intercepts, but the funding has been significantly reduced...will try to find some links for more info...unless Ragusa is able to post them first.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.