1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter nights Versus

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by danrand, Jul 30, 2004.

1. danrand Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hi

I've never played this game before but I own baldurs gate/icewind dale.

Is NW nights as good or better?

Thanks

2. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

As, I think, the main champion for NWN in this particular forum, the honest answer I can give you is:

Well no. Not really.

BUT!

Lets talk about your big "but" ArtEChoke...

Ok the main campaign is pretty nifty at first but descends into suckitude in the third and fourth chapters when you get this, "I feel like I've done this before," feeling.

SoU, the first expansion, has the worst first chapter in the history of computer games. Its scientifically proven in fact. 9 out of 10 lab rats say killing kobolds for 7 hours is, "no fun."

The second and particularly the third chapter of SoU though are very good, creative and interesting.

HotU the third expansion is a fantastic game, plain and simple, and doesn't feel like the first two games at all. It gives you a good ole' fashion rpg feel to it (it even provides a hell of an army on army city seige complete with arrows raining over the walls and everything... goooood stuff.)

And furthermore the tools enable you to screw around with your own mods and play other people's work, some of which is better (well in my opinion) than the actual Bioware work.

So if you're in it for the basic campaign that comes with NWN, its not better than BG (in fact there are some, who say it, "sucks." and I can't exactly argue with that). If you're willing to get the expansions, and/or make mods, and play other people's stuff, I highly recommend it.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I bought the original Neverwinter Nights campaign and I got bored haflway through and have never finished it.

People who live for NWN tend to rave about the expansions, mods, and online play as the best things about it.

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Neverwinter official campaign and SoU both are bad (well, in my opinion). HotU Chapters 2&3 then again are great, and there are some very good modules out there.

But the really best point about NWN is the online play. That's quite much the only reason why i have NWN still installed.

(Singleplayer-wise NWN is nowhere near Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale, but multiplayer NWN is a lot better.)

5. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, like said before, the modules you can find on nwvault contain some really good things. But like also said, the best part about nwn is the online play. What's so great about it is that it's the only thing coming close to a mmorpg that doesn't need monthly fees :) . At the moment, I only use nwn to play online, but I can frankly admit it's one of only a few games who are never considered for removal when I need more discspace. But indeed, don't expect an RP experience like BG from the official campaign (unless maybe from HotU).

6. Eltharodo Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Can anyone list a link to a pretty comprehensive Hakpak list? I tried a bit of the online NWN, but it was hard to find a game that didnt require hakpaks X,Y and Z etc.

@Danrand; These guys are right, the only reason for playing NWN is a) the expansions and b) the mods. As I say though, there are things you need to download called Hakpaks which are often quite big <i.e 100mbs in some cases, so if you've got a 56k connection, be prepared>. This can cause frustration as in order to play a game you need tol;

1)look on the server list for something thats in your language of choice <on the European servers as I am, this can be very difficult>

2)download the required mod <although this isn't so bad as http://nwvault.ign.com/index2.shtml have just about every mod released>

3)download the hakpaks for THAT mod <as i implied, its rare that 1 hakpak will cover more than 1 mod>

4)Pray to the deity of your choice that the game is still running, and that they are early enough in for you to join in and keep up with the plot

Also, if you are interested in the roleplaying aspect of the game, there is the added trauma caused by having to find a server that you are prepared for and can understand, that is not populated by a bunch of screwing around, bleeding sod GRIEFERS!!!!!! Of course, supposedly, when this is all over, you can enjoy a fine game.

Oh yeah, also, does anyone know where I can get the "A Land Far Away" hak paks??

Thx for your help,

El

7. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31

My understanding is that you have to apply to ALFA, get accepted, then they link you to the hak with a specific password.

8. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, I'm not entirely sure it works exactly that way. I think you can download the haks even when you are not a member, though I cannot say for sure since I downloaded them only after being accepted. You should check the boards on www.alandfaraway.org and check whether you can access the threads in the alfa documentation part of it. There you will find one listing the haks and places to download it from. The password is actually only used to connect to the servers AFAIK.

9. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31

Well I've played both IWD's and both BG's and I think that NWN is almost as good as BG II (my favourite) but lacks single-player-mode game play. The main improvement is that you don't have a party anymore but a more realistic single player, plus you have the joy of the 3D view (sadly there is no z-axis so you can't scroll round the map like in previous games, but I'm sure they will intergrate it into NWN2). I never liked IWD for some reason, maybe I was too happy with BG's layout at the time and expected too much from it, but if you like IWD/BG you'll definately enjoy NWN for its online gaming, expansion's, mods etc...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.