1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New graphics-card, opinions

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Shebali, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Shebali Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hi everyone!

I have been ignoring the fact that my computer is a part of ancient history for a long time, but now that NWN2 is available it's just not possible. Around the time when I got it, it was a gaming monster. That time was three years ago though, and I feel that I need to upgrade it a bit. I really don't have the money to buy a new one so I hope that a new graphics card and memory will do the trick.

My processor is an Intel P4, 3.0 GHz
    Motherboard from Gigabyte or something, AGP
    Don't really know bus speeds, but could probably find out if necessary .
    RAM 512MB (2x256 DDR PC3200, intend to buy 2 more)
    Graphics: Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis 256MB

The question is; what is the best investment?
    Obviously, since I have AGP, I probably won't be able to use the card in any future computer, and that makes me reluctant to cough up too much money.
    I have had my eyes on two Radeon cards, the Sapphire Radeon X1600PRO 512MB DDR2 AGP8X and
    Sapphire Radeon X1650PRO 256MB GDDR3 AGP8X.

These cards cost about 185$ (1400kr) and 145$ (1100kr) respectively.

Am I likely to see improvement, or would I be wasting my money? Which one should I choose?
    I would really appreciate any opinions on this, they would probably help a lot.

Thanks

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I can see why you want to replace the card and yeah, you might want to.

I'm not an expert on Radeons, but do a good google search and compare benchmarks between newer cards. Sometimes newer models turn out crappier than earlier stuff, e.g. look at how Titanium completely outpwns anything short of 6800. And 6800GT would be my suggestion (yes, it's a GeForce).

More memory on your card will help you with textures (hugely and especially in future games), while a better, newer, faster graphical processor (and faster memory) will help overall performance. Your pick. But do yourself a favour and compare benchmarks. Preferably not of merely chipsets or GPUs or whatever, but concrete models from concrete manufacturers. Some manufacturers make cards at even half the recommended frequency from ATI or nVidia!

If I were in your shoes, I would look around for the best bargain I can get rather than a specific card. It doesn't make that much difference. And sometimes you can get something good for a cheap price. I remember I was looking for anything to replace a TNT2 with and I contemplated R9550, while I was ready to settle with GF5200. In the end, I found a GF5900XT for twice what I was ready to pay for a lesser card but two thirds of what it normally cost (or half even), with custom radiators on the RAM, still extant warranty and reliable previous owner I met in person after the auction because he happened to live next to me.

Too bad I don't have this luck with the processor or RAM. ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.