1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Mods

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Chataro, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Chataro Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Does anyone here have any new mods or old mods that they recommend me to try? I've tried Big picture but gave up due to the endless bugs. Is there anymore mods? I'm currently trying tactics

2. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

If you're up for a challenge I whole heartedly recommend Improved Anvil (IA) - it's actively being developed and provides a real challenge (I've heard even more so than tactics - though it's meant to be less cheesy) as well as new quests, expanded strongholds, items, an item randomization program, new random encounters, spells, a new kit, expanded strongholds etc.
    It's pretty much bug free though it is important to follow the installation instructions (there are a number of other mods that are conflicting). It should be noted that you cannot install individual components (it's all or nothing - for balance reasons ;) )
    It completely revitalizes the BGII experiences and encourages the player to try new tactics.
    version 4.2 is currently out and version 5 is due for release...um soon, though it has been for a while (theres a lot of new content and testing such a large mod and ensuring its 100% bug free takes a bit of time i guess).
    It is quite hard, but I think if you've played tactics, you should be pretty right.

Alternately a combination of quest pack and unfinished business is quite good (new quests, items etc) - there are a few minor bugs, but nothing truly gamebreaking. They're entirely modular (you can pick and choose what parts you want to have in and out)

Rogue Rebalancing is excellent (and compatable with IA) and includes an expanded thieves guild, harder thieves/Mae'vear, new thief special abilities, an awesome new encounter (Chosen of Cyric - and it's a really top fight), a new store and items. Doesn't really effect the whole game (just specific areas), and its also modular.

Silverstar would probably have some pretty top suggestions and a wider field of reference.

3. Baronius

Baronius Mental harmony dispels the darkness ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Regarding mods of the Black Wyrm's Lair, I can recommend a few, if you decide not to try Improved Anvil (it's only recommended to experienced players who like to experiment with new tactics instead of insisting on the old ones).

Tower of Deception
    Auramaster Druid Kit
    Riskbreaker Kit

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The thing about Improved Anvil is that your options in creating a party are pretty limited – basically, you need a tank-heavy party in order to be effective against the enemies that really matter. Ranged attacks are useless. And yes, mages are necessary, but more for removing enemy protections than doing actual damage (they can do damage, but much, and you can’t really rely on mages to kill the enemies before they kill you). Thief backstabbing and traps aren’t really effective. Plus be prepared for numerous reloads and significant meta-gaming. Having said all that, IA provides a significantly different BG2 experience, as it adds a lot of new content and enemies, so if what I’ve said doesn’t scare you off, then it’s definitely worth a try.

G3 recently released Sword Coast Strategems II for BG2 (by DavidW) - it's basically a tactical mod which looks very promising (I haven't tried it yet, though). G3 is also working on a much-improved version of Blucher's Alternate NPC mod, which allows you to change any NPC to any class you want, along with a few other goodies; I think this mod is almost ready for release.

5. Chataro Gems: 1/31

I tried quest pack once but gave up due to the amount of bugs. I never even heard of improve anvil. i thought that it was merely additional items like the cespenar mod?

6. Sikret Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yes, the hit&run cheese using ranged weapons are effectively blocked in Improved Anvil. For IA v5, thetruth and I did a thorough survey and testing regarding different enemies in various areas and noticed that we can reconsider and give ranged weapons back some of their siginificance against some enemies who are in small areas in which hit&run cheese is not very easily doable.

Mages are still very effective (even offensively), but you need to find and practice new tactics to play your mages. The old cheesy methods don't work any more.

You can even kill mighty golems with a single-class pure mage if you know how to play with him. Of course, It's not easy against numerous golems, but your mage is not supposed to do everything single-handedly; the main point is that he is effective and useful even offensively.

It's true about traps. There is also an entry about traps in the mods F.A.Q.

The point about backstabbing is a bit exaggerated though. Many enemies are still vulnerable to it.

In general as everyone said, IA is primarily designed for veteran BG2 players and tactical experts. Those with less tactical experience and knowledge should be very patient while playing this mod. They need to draw a learning curve and start to practice and learn new tactical methods. Gradually, they will notice that their tactical expertise is developing noticeably and the number of times they need to reload the game is decreasing considerably.

However, all these points are only about the tactical features of the mod. IA is much more than a pure tactical mod. It adds much new content to your game (as others mentioned too).

This is most probably the PPG mod-list's fault which spreads misleading information by listing mods in wrong categories and with wrong descriptions. (I asked the mod-list's maintainers to either remove IA from that list or to fix its description and category, but they didn't care.)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Don’t get me wrong, Sikret – I’m not knocking your mod. You’ve put a lot of effort into it, and it’s that kind of dedication that the BG community really appreciates.

You say that mages can be effective offensively, and I guess I’ll have to take your word for it. But I suspect that relying on mages to defeat enemies would take a lot longer than tanks. And I guess that’s what it boils down to – patience. You say that “IA is primarily designed for veteran BG2 players and tactical experts”; I agree, but I would go one step further and say that players also require a lot of patience in order to find the right approach. And this, of course, is the entire point of the mod, but I'm guessing that many (if not most) players, whether they are technical experts or not, aren’t interested in investing the amount of time needed to get through this mod. But as I said previously, for those players who are willing to spend the time, IA will not disappoint. :)

8. Baronius

I guess this is from the PPG Modlist. Unfortunately, it contains relatively much outdated and misleading information (and not just about IA), so use it with care.

9. Splunge

Media:
    Of course, the fact that it's called Improved Anvil doesn't do anything to help dispel the impression that it's just another item upgrade mod. Rather a crappy name for a niche mod that has aspirations to be recoginised as something else, IMO.

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Seeing the storm clouds on the horizon I am, once again, going to ask the modders to keep their various battles out of these forums. you guys know how you get on each others' nerves, so don't do it here.

11. Baronius

What's a niche anyway? Never heard of it in this meaning (In other words, I have no idea what a "niche mod" can mean).

12. Splunge

Media:
    In context, "niche mod" means one that appeals to a relatively small segment of the BG community.

I have absolutely no desire to start a mod-bashing war here. As I said, IA gives a very expanded BG experience - the new content (which is very well done), the extreme challenges, etc. all contribute to the options that BG2 fans have to choose from. Like any mod, IA has its fans and its detractors. Personally, I think if a mod isn't to your taste, then don't play it, but don't bash it, especially when it has an enthusiastic fan base such as one that IA has.

And Baronious, please don't go into one of your "instructional" posts here. :p

13. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

unfinished business was pretty good, so was quest pack.

tactics mod was too insane for me, the hard battles are too hard.

Xan NPC mod was pretty cool, so was Kivan, Valen seems a bit too powerful, Saerileth was ok too.

14. Baronius

Sure, dmc doesn't have to worry, neither of us want to cause problems to our wonderful SP.

You certainly didn't bash it, but it was a bit strange that you told all that suff, then finished it with:
    Of course, what you told was your own opinion, but it's reasonable to expect that some of your statements will be commented later by others. (I guess you also didn't think this otherwise.) Especially if things all-in-all imply that IA limits a lot of "good" things in the game that worked earlier. It may be so, but then it should also be emphasized that it opens a number of new possibilities as well. At least, in my opinion. :) However, players who look for real challenge (and believe themselves to be among the best) won't let themselves influenced by any (positive or negative) comments told by others.

That's not true to IA at all IMO. That's what some strange people (so I'm obviously not referring to you) try to imply, but what I see is exactly the opposite. (In other words, just because those who don't like it -- e.g. failed with IA and can't accept their failure -- are very loud, it doesn't mean their numbers are many.) I see the opposite because IA threads have been read a lot of times, and downloads are very high (even if we substract the number of v1-v4.1 from the total count, still a few thousand downloads remain purely for v4.2). Of course, beginner players won't really play it, but this would require a more serious research (how many active players are veterans, how many are new etc.).

:p
    I won't fall to the same trap again. On that certain other forum, I was naive enough to believe that those persons were misinformed and that's why they were so arrogant. I tried to clarify the point to them, but later I realized that it makes no sense, they were interested in nothing else than trolling. SP has intelligent members (and excellent moderators), so fortunately we don't have to worry about such troublemakers here. :)

15. Splunge

Media:
    I've got news for you - you just did. Although trapping you wasn't my intent. Sometimes I just get lucky. :p

CamDawg likes this.
  16. Baronius

I think there is one additional work I should've mentioned in my initial post:
    BG2 Improvements
    Based on the download count/thread hits, it seems to be popular too. It's a multi-component mod, so you can choose from quite a few components (no need to install all, they aren't interrelated).

17. cmorgan Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

BGII mods that I find fun/interesting/worth a good read on the forums to decide if they are your cup of tea...

For changing strategies/tactics; Sword Coast Stratagems II provides a solid tactical challenge, and the author is available for suggestions and tweaking of materials at G3. There are some other good things out by SimDing0 and the bigg, but for "new mods" this is the big one.

For good and solid Thief improvements and content additions, Rougue Rebalancing has become an almost entirely revamped mod in a matter of a month or so, with the author actively working with modders and players from all communities to change his code to accomodate others. If you are looking for a good thief experience, and a modder who supports his work, this is gold. This one has its own site, and I am sure is mirrored (I hope) on most IE sites.

For roleplaying/encounters; I find the Taisha Romance for a male PC enjoyable; some good stuff. I am pretty sure that is SpellholdStudios. In addition, Keto at PPG is a real blast - she has got to be one of the most fun NPCs I ever played. You can't romance her, but it doesn't matter - she will still be a solid source of party banter.

I have used Unfinished Business and enjoyed it a great deal, but check the forums carefully - depending on the mods you install (especialy in a mega-install) and the order of install, some conflicts may arise. A quick read of the forums will let you know if it will work with your set of mods, or if you need to either get help making things work or make a choice between mod installs. [PPG].

The newer mod at BWL that seems to be interesting lots of folks is Tower of Deception. I have it marked for my next run (delayed now for a bit) , so I can't speak from direct playthrough experience, but the graphics are apparently great and fresh, there seems to be plenty of folks who like it. It seems from the reading to be a bit like The Grey Clan: In Candlelight, in that there is new content and material, but the tactical side of things is designed to be very challenging.

For a change of pace with some pretty cool and well balanced items/potions, etc, igi at TeamBG has an iiItem mod that places random new items on humanoid enemies and joinable/non-joinable NPCs, and into most stores. The arrows are interesting from a tactical point of view; actually, so are the potions and items. None are uuberpowerful, but they may provide some interesting new opportunities. I particularly like the Healing Arrows. I had a humorous moment where I actually accidentally began healing my enemies, because I didn't check my equipped arrows carefully...

On the list along with TOD for me in my next run is igi's learned proficiciency mod, which I have always wanted to try. This one has very little discussion or presence anywhere, yet seems to be a really good idea - get better in what you use, rather than gaining proficiency points on level up. He introduces Trainers, too, to finalize the proficiency "level up".

(Caveat - I worked on this one, so I may be biased) If your tastes are a little more... well, adult, then Romantic Encounters adds a number of interesting encounters, each component adding a different encounter ranging from a nice dinner out with a minor character to a wild fling and romp in bed (or just some bawdy songs). Some contents are rather descriptive, so be warned. Glasses may steam up. If no glasses, then eyeballs may steam up. Available at G3.

Currently in testing, if you want to stretch your boundaries a little; at G3, Level 1 NPCs - Nythrun's Ultimate Player Choice Mod. Based on the idea of Blucher's Level1 NPC mod from back in the day, and written with his consent and support, you can set up any stock BioWare NPC to any kit or class combination, choose their proficiemnces, and they will show up in-game with the matching equipment, their abilities modified to be consistent, and (if you choose the component) match the PC experience level. In Beta testing, but has successfully worked on a number of installs (currently there is a problem with Tutu NPC pairs not acting correctly over joining behavior, but fixes are on the way for it.) As a "Concept Mod", this one is the ultimate reflection of Player Choice trumping Story - if you really want to change the existing NPCs to an all-Paladin party, or an all-F/M party, or whatever, then you can. It picks up the kits you have already installed, so you can assign them to the NPCs as well. It should be compatible with any patching or overwriting job done by other mods, but just as a reminder - it doesn't touch dialogue. That means Jaheira will still say the same stuff about Druids and still be a Harper even if you change her into a Cleric/Wild Mage.

At PPG, Nalia's expansion is in testing, if you PM the author (JCompton) or code person (Kulyok) on the PPG forums. I don't know the full progress, but judging by Keto and Kelsey, and with the modderrs involved, you are looking at a detail-oriented mod with clean code, good dialogue, and lots of options. Perhaps after it is out, I will not be so quick to send Nalia out to trigger traps wearing her undergarments and carrying a steakknife...

In both of these cases, it is an opportunity to give input to mod development, helping shape it to see what you would like to see.

As for complete changes, there is a chance to play a completely different game using the BG engine at SHS, called Classic Adventures. If you were into PnP back in the early days, and liked the old Gygax modules, this is right up your alley. It is a Total Conversion, so read stuff carefully, but I have seen nothing but good reports (caveat - I have not played this one, only read through dialogue files and looked at the code. So your mileage may vary. But, good folks doing the writing, good modules being converted, so it looks promising).

That is off the top of my head; there have to be a bunch I missed (for instance, I know there was new release stuff at CoM, but I am way behind on both forum reading and actual BG/BGII playing, and I need to go investigate and try some of them out). But there is plently of new blood flowing into BG and BG2, so it is worth poking around forums here, and at CoM, G3, BWL, PPG, and SHS. It sure looks like most communities will be announcing new stuff pretty frequently through the end of next summer, if only half of the projects being worked on currently get finished up by then.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  18. Kulyok Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

New mods? Try Dungeon Crawl, if you haven't already: four new areas by WoRM, interesting characters and a big new quest. http://www.pocketplane.net/dc

Tower of Deception is good, too. Basically, just visit PPG Modlist at http://modlist.pocketplane.net anduse "15 latest additions" function - it should give you the idea. Also, G3's newsfeed is quite helpful:

RE: Improved Anvil in the modlist - guys, if the mod's listing needs to be edited\added to, choose the category and add a listing: I'll see to it when I check the modlist the next time. I've been helping maintain the list recently, and from what I see, it's pretty much up-to-date. If any mods or communities or links are missing, your help(and anyone's help!) is certainly welcome: again, just choose the category, add a listing, and it'll be there.

19. Chataro Gems: 1/31

Your responses have truly been overwhelming and useful. Unfortunately, I think its a bit too much for me to absorb. Which mod has the greatest replay and story altering qualities. So far I already received

1) Tower of Deception
    2) BG2 improvements
    3) Improve Anvil
    4) Sword Coast Stratagems II ( Which I think I'll pass, doesn't seem to be many change besides tactical strategy changes)
    5) Unfinished Business( Which I still don't understand what it is)
    6) Quest pack ( Which was very buggy when I played it)

Most of the others which you have all happily supplied me with and which I am very thankful for all sounds like they are still in the experimental stage which usually means its buggy so I think I'll pass.

Of the 6 named above, which one do you guys all think is the best?

20. Splunge

Media:
    I can speak to the two I’ve played.

Unfinished business adds a lot of new content; how much of it you’ll see in any given run-through depends to a certain extent on which NPC’s are in your party. So there is a fair amount of replayability.

IA also has new content, some of which is dependant on the class of your PC. But it also has a large tactical element, as well as new items you can forge. There’s a lot in the mod that will keep you busy for awhile.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.