1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New to fantasy, recommend a good fantasy trilogy

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by kppeanuts, Sep 17, 2002.

1. kppeanuts Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Im new to fantasy, recommned a good fantasy trilogy.

[ September 20, 2002, 09:47: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

What kind of fantasy are you looking for?

There are political intrigues, mysteries, action/adventures, romances, etc within the classification "fantasy".

3. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings would be an obvious one.

4. kppeanuts Gems: 1/31

I am looking for a fantasy adventure style book or trilogy series.

5. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well then get R.A Salvatore's Icewind Dale series.

[ September 17, 2002, 18:43: Message edited by: Z-Layrex ]

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Try Raymond Feist's Riftwar Saga, or his Empire Series. Both are very good, although the Riftwar is 4 books when they went to paperback (they split the first book into two).

7. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

The following three are not exactly a trilogy, but rather three books that just have stuff to do with each other and use recurring characters.

A Wrinkle in Time

A Wind in the Door

A Swiftly Tilting Planet

8. Xabu Gems: 1/31

Try Tad Williams' Memory,Sorrow and Thorn trilogy. Great fantasy read. Great character development and detail. I loved the non-black/white story although there's very little of spells and magic if you're looking for that. More like lots and lots of lore :)

9. Ark Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

try the that dragonlance twin stories.i think it's test of the twins,war of the twins and time of the twins.

10. kppeanuts Gems: 1/31

im looking for a fantasy trilogy with wizards or sorcerers, and some kind of adventure.Please recommend if you know a good trilogy.

11. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I recommend Dragonlance Chronicles (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons Spring Dawning) and then Legends (Time of the Twins, War of the Twins, Test of the Twins).

12. monkey Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The dragonlance ones are very good. RA Salvatores stuff is quite good - I think the Cleric Quintet is his best (Pikel rules!).

Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice trilogy (i think thats the name of the first book - i cant remmeber the actual name of the trilogy)

Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars series - Its five books and the fifth one isnt out yet but so far it brilliant perhaps my favourite fantasy series.

13. Frostbite Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] I would recomend the Sword of Truth novles, by Terry Goodking.

I know it's about 6 books, but its probably one of my favourite series ever, and they'll keep you going for a while.

I think a new one has come out, the books are called :

Wizards first Rule
    Stone of Tears
    Blood of the Fold
    Temple fo the winds
    Soul of Fire ( or something like that?)
    Faith in the Fallen.

Frosty
    (reading is Good!)
    :rolleyes:

14. Frostmage Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

You should read the dragonlance chronicles, they simply rule.

Oh, and Robin Hobbs trilogy about the assassin is called Farseer. I've just finished the second book, and so far it's been very good.

15. aegron Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] you should try David Eddings the Elenium! or even beter the Belgariad!!!!

16. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I read the first of the tamuli by David Eddings. didnt think it was that great, altho i did rly enjoy it. but theres no real end, u HAV to buy the next bk, cos otherwise ur left confused & thinking it wasnt worth it. also none of the main characters died, so there was no grief. David Gemmels rly gd, tons of philosophy wot not that rly makes u think about stuff. If u like magic, try Dark moon by Gemmel, it was the first i read & i think its brilliant. theres a bit of magic, but not to much to over do it. all gemmels bks are brilliant.

[Please spell out "you" and include all the letters to words; we have people here whose first language is not English, and they'd likely have a tough time with this - BTA]

[ September 19, 2002, 20:00: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

17. Prophete D'Acier Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

LOTR, Dragonlance Chronicles especially! Actually I don't like the Cleric Quintet which somehow it seemed childish to me except for the ultra-violence.

Dragonlance Chronicles, Avatar Trilogy, The Song of Albion (a trilogy) and The Dragon King Saga (another trilogy) are both by Stephen Lawhead. They do not have very much of sorcery though, but they're great fantasy books I asure you. Lawhead's Celtic Crusades are based on history (the Crusades in particular DUH) but again great fantasy books.

18. Astin X Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Try Stephen Donaldson's - The Chronicals of Thomas Covenant the unbeliever, and wait a few years for mine

19. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

The Ancient Future is the first book in a realy cool series. Can't remember off the top of my head what its called but its realy good

20. Reislied Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

With wizards and sorcerors, oh my. Well, if you haven't already, there's always the Lord of the Rings (Fellowship of the Ring/Two Towers/Return of the King). Old Gandalf is the modern fantasy archetype for wizards after all.

I don't think highly of the Dragonlance books, but you get your share of your wizards with the Chronicles trilogy.

For a darker type of fantasy, I'd recommend the Coldfire trilogy. Dark Sun Rising/When True Night Falls/Crown of Shadows. It's a well written tale mostly concerning a knight, Damien Vryce, of a religious order having to team up with the hated prophet of his religion who turned his back on the faith, the undead sorceror Gerald Tarrant. Together they take on unspeakable evils in a quest that gradually becomes more than what they expected.

The character development is exceptional as Damien must compromise his beliefs time and again and decide what is really good and what is really evil. Tarrant is terribly brutal and merciless, but he almost grows likeable after much time.

The mood is dark and somber, the world they live in has constant danger shaped more by the human mind than anything else. Night time is the most dreaded event, especially when both moons are not out and true night falls.

A great series. Highly recommended.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.