1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Newbie Question before starting BG2...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by MithrilSilverAus, Jan 13, 2004.

1. MithrilSilverAus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hi all,
    Have had BG2: SOA & Throne of Bhaal for quite a while without trying it out, but do plan so this week.Question from newbie - i have been reading this forum, and articles related to BG2 - like wow lots of stuff (minus spoilers :) ). However, i am wondering - aside from the Official Patches for SOA and TOB, what other patches or mods should i install to make sure i get the best bugfree, enjoyable experience from this game the way it was intended to be?. Heard about the Balderdash language fixes and few of the NPC's mods. Any advice for a newbie?.

Thanks
    N.

Ps: Have got a fair few rpg's ive bought but never really got around to actually trying - pretty bad with games like that :D :rolleyes:

2. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I don't know where to get it, but I'm told the banter pack is a great add-on, for some additional character interaction and laughs.

3. MithrilSilverAus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I was having a look at the banter and flirt packs myself along with a few of the NPC mods but wondered what others thought i should add in my first attempt at this game :D

4. Vyndin Source Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I dunno if this is a cheat or not, but the two merchants that sell stuff from PT and IWD are nice... The shield of Balduran should almost be illegal against Beholders (Reflects Beholder rays, i.e flesh to stone and it killed itself...)

Don't know much of Mods and the like though........(played BG2 two years ago :rolleyes: ...)

5. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Ease-of-Use is a must.

6. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

If its your first time playing, only install Balderdash fixpack and maybe the banterpacks - ease of use makes the inventory management easier so it wouldn't harm the game much either.

Look in the ToB forum for a mod list by Icelus, at top of the page.

7. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I wouldn´t mod the game at all if it´s your first time playing. I know I wouldn´t be as hooked on it as I am if I did.
    Plus if you dont mod it you´ll have more things to look forward to the next time you play it ;)

8. Xindell Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Have to agree with the Duke on this one. First time through, I would only use the Balderdash fixpack, because it fixes actual problems and bugs with the game. Don't use ANY mods the first time, so you can get the true BG experience. After that, start looking at the various mods and stuff, this way you can have a fresh new experience next time through.

9. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Baldurdash used to even include a few things that weren't bugs (changing the way Carsomyr did magic resistance for example). I think he removed that particular fix, but I'd be careful about installing that stuff too on the first run.

Ease-of-Use includes quite a few components that are either buggy or cheats so you may not want that one on your first run.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.