1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NHL 2010-11

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    The new NHL season is due to start in a few weeks. Who do we reckon will take it off the Blackhawks? Penguins for me, provided Mr Malkin stays fit and Crosby keeps scoring like last year.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I think the Penguins have a great chance too - but Ugh... I cannot think about hockey yet. I still have baseball going until early November, and football season just started. I have a two-sport limit, so hockey needs to take a backseat until around the time of Thanksgiving. Then it's football and hockey, and when football season ends, I add basketball.

3. Barmy Army

Media:
    Two sport limit? Are you a man or a mouse?? I keep tabs on as many as I can :cool:. I can't wait to start watching Ovechkin bagging for fun all over the ice again.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Allow me to clarify - it's not an issue of how many I can follow, it's an issue of how many I can watch. There's only so many hours in the day, and I'm much more likely to watch sports that are nearing the end of their seasons (for the playoff push, and later for the playoffs themselves) than I am to watch a regular season game early in the season.

For example, in October, the baseball playoffs will be taking place. I'm much more likely to spend my evening watching the playoffs in baseball than I am to tune into the first game the Penguins are playing - there really isn't much at stake early on in the hockey season.

That's not to say I won't follow them at all - I'll know who's in first place in each division, and who the leading scorers are, I just won't spend much time watching hockey until November.

5. Barmy Army

Media:
    Fairy nuff pal. Who do you follow?

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The Pens - I was born and raised in northern Pennsylvania - that's also why I root for the Steelers in football.

7. Barmy Army

Media:
    Nice. I don't really support anyone, as I don't have an affiliation or any common ground with any side. The closest thing I have is that I've been to Florida on my holidays! I just enjoy watching the games and keeping tabs on the leaders etc.

---------- Added 18 hours, 32 minutes and 31 seconds later... ----------

I'm surprised this board doesn't have more ice hockey fans with all the North Americans on here...

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    There are a few avid hockey fans on the boards, but most of them are Canadian. While ice hockey is considered one the "major" sports in the US, it easily has the smallest following of the major ones. Football is king, and both baseball and basketball are more popular than hockey. Technically, NASCAR is more popular too, although I don't consider that as a sport. (It definitely is a competetion and a race, but I don't consider the drivers to be athletes.)

9. Barmy Army

Media:
    Well, where are all those guys? That's my point.

By the way, I love Canada, if I ever was to live in another country, it would be there.

10. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I had family that used to live in Canada - it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. It's freakin cold up there in the winter - just ask them. Other than for vacations or work, I've lived my entire life in three states - Pennsylvania, New York, and Maryland. I have to say that one of the biggest perks of living in Maryland is the shorter winter and longer summer. September is still summer here - we are still getting days that are warm enough that you can wear shorts. And March really is the start of spring. In PA and NY, summer is officially over by Labor Day most years, and March is still winter.

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    Cold weather is not an issue to me. In case you didn't know, I live in England.. NORTHERN England!

12. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Oh my! I hadn't seen the NHL thread. Well, you were wondering where were the hockey fans. Well here I am! :D

Meh, I don't know about the Pens. They have great centre players but almost no decent wingmen. They want to put Malkin as a winger instead of a centre, but even then. They let Guerin go, who was probably their strongest RW and Satan or Sykora, granted they weren't star players but were doing a decent job, are no longer there...

I'm a, surprise surprise, Canadiens fan. Will they make the playoffs? I think so. The players they lost this summer were replaced by equivalents. The big question mark is : will Price be able to play to his abilities, or will the Halak trade bite Montréal in the bum?

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    Why did they trade Halak? He was a demon in the play-offs.
    Malkin and Crosby on the same line is going to be scary, there's 100 goals a season in those 2... but you do worry about the depth after that.

---------- Added 0 hours, 0 minutes and 57 seconds later... ----------

The Red Wings might a force this year.

14. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Barmy, if you ever come to Canada, let me know and you can crash for free at my place. I might even be able to scare up some Oilers tickets, which isn't as bad as it sounds because watching the crappiest team in the league (arguably the world) can be just as entertaining as watching the best.

My prediction is that the Oilers will consistently snatch defeat from the jaws of victory over the course of this season, and the hearts of Edmontonian fools who dream of the Gretzky years will be broken yet again.

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    Thanks man, that's very good of you :) I certainly will do!

We'll have to see how that Taylor Hall goes for the Oilers, 1st pick wasn't he? Bit of pressure!

16. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

The management is shot all to hell, as well as the coaching staff. Even if the Oilers got to pick 10 of the best players in the league, it wouldn't solve the underlying structural problems. Professional sports at its worst.

17. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I think the Oilers will be the suprise team in the west (too many good prospects and Renney is a fairly good coach) and Tampa Bay in the east (improved dramatically. I love all the work Yzerman put into that team and I have been convinced since a year or two ago that Guy Boucher will be a future Coach of the year guy).

As for Halak, it was mainly a money thing as he was a restricted free agent. He would have wanted more than what the team could afford to pay him. And the management, for some obscur reason, are still completely in awe for Price. We'll see. I don't like the moves the new GM made since the summer.

18. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well, the season started out OK for the Oilers but they got their asses handed to them last night yet again in Minnesota. Not the kind of record you want to tie. They are idiots and a disgrace to this great city. Not that I'm judgemental or anything.

19. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm cheering for the Winnipeg Jets. :)

20. Barmy Army

Media:
    Woah. One game, foeget it and move on to the next one. The Oilers have started well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.