1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Obesity

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Harbourboy, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] Here is a story which indicates that Americans are becoming so obese that this will result in a DECREASE in average longevity figures after so many years of increasing longevity (due to better medicine etc).

I've posted this in the AoLS because it is about the USA and follows on from some of the comments made in the 'What does America mean to you' thread, but I'm sure this research would probably apply to several other countries as well (from what I saw in the UK).

Does this seem believable to you?

Do you think this would be the case in your country?

Do you think YOUR eating habits put you at risk here?

I think that this may become a problem in New Zealand as well one day. Most people I know eat crappy food. And whilst I am in no danger of becoming obese (touch wood), a recent blood test showed that I had increasing cholesterol levels, which is probably due to too much saturated fat in my diet.

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Now this is funny.

As far as I'm concerned, allowing your body to become a large mass of lard is equivalent to only showering once per month or so.

Take care of your body. It's not difficult to do.

3. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

Although I completely agree with you, the fact that I have a co-worker who recently went through surgery to shrink the size of her stomach because she "couldn't control" her eating habits says otherwise as far as some are concerned. Can obesity lower the life expectancy of Americans as a whole? Considering I've read not only through this article, but from several others that approximately a third are obese, I wouldn't be too quick to be completely objected to this question.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It is a lot more difficult for some us than others AMaster.

This is happening all over the western world, the US is just the bridgehead. Obesity numbers are rising at an alarming rate in Sweden and every other country, New Zeeland as well I wager.

5. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Obesity is a problem that affects especially the welfare nations. Obesity causes a lot of different health problems and these problems cost money to take care of. In Finland there have been some calculations that our healthcare budget would nearly double if this increase of obesity continues, and I think it's quite needless to say that we nor any other welfare nation can't bear a doubling of the healthcare budget which leaves three options. Big increase in taxes (won't happen), forcing the obese people and smokers to pay for their healthcare themselves and thirdly initiating a government program to cure obesity and actually forcing the obese people to participate.

Many overweight people claim that being overweight is a lifestyle and in America I guess people can accept this as an explanation since they pay for it themselves anyway, but in here I do not think it should be accepted. Of course it's not easy to cure obesity which is why the government should spend a lot more to organize fitness programs for the obese and especially for children. This should be done now before we are knee deep in lard. "Get fit or pay" could be the motto for this program. ;)

6. Newfie Banned

Obesity is a problem for some people who have glandular problems, eating disorders etc., but for the most part it is a matter of lifestyle. With so much access to home entertainment such as computer games, the internet and DVD movies, I fear the problem will only get worse. What you learn from your parents and in your youth reflects greatly on your eating and fitness habits as you grow older and once learned, it is hard to undo. Another fact of today's lifestyle that contributes to obesity is the rush, rush of everyday life and the accessibility of fast food.

The fact is, that if most people incorporate some kind of fitness program in their lives, they can greatly reduce their body fat levels. When they see the positive results of exercise, they may become a little more interested in their health and watch themselves better. The problem is getting them off the couch and into the gyms or parks.

7. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are a few things I find truly amazing about the obesity issue:

- Just a few years ago several patients successfully sued their doctors for 'emotional distress' after being told to lose weight (multiple lawsuits). Now the doctors can be sued for not revealing the dangers of being obese.

- Grossly obese people in the US can receive handicapped status -- they now park right next to the all-you-can-eat buffets. A little WALKING might help.

- Remember fatty food doesn't kill people -- people kill people.

HB: Interesting, you say 'touch wood' -- in America we say 'knock on wood.'

8. Ik Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

too many go to "more-than-all-you-can-eat buffets". However I'm also afraid that all this mickey taking is just going to drive them to further over-eat. Many an alchoholic told to give up drinking is going to head straight for the bar.
    The deeper reasons people turn to food for comfort in these troubled times needs to be addressed.

9. Newfie Banned

[​IMG] T2 Bruno:

I think I detect a little anger in your comments towards obese people in general. I could be wrong and if I am I am, sorry. Remember, there are legitimate reasons for people being obese such as disorders and such, just as there are people who are obese because they are lazy. I don't mean to take the higher ground here, but I do feel for people who are obese because of such things.They have to deal with a lot of crap from people because they are lumped into the lazy and slovenly category because of their appearance.

But I do fell your comments are correct towards people who abuse their "right to be fat". The examples you have given above are terrible. Just remember one thing: their first heart attack will be their wake up call, and by then it might be too late.

As regards to why people turn to food for deeper isues, I do often. What better way to cheer yourself up than a steak, mushrooms, onions and fries with a big glass of Pepsi. The hell with all that mumbo jumbo about why I do it. There has been too much money wasted on such studies. The fact that I can get away with it though is because I exercise often. And that is making me mentally healthy as well as physically healthy. Eating lots of food is great if you can burn off the calories you put in.

[ April 04, 2005, 16:24: Message edited by: Newfie ]

10. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Mhm. But the overwhelming majority of obese people (in America, and likely the rest of the west) do not have a disorder. Nor do they have a genetic disposition toward obesity. What they "suffer" from is chronic lazyness combined with the inability to regulate what they eat.

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    People who are obese because of some medical condition, I have sympathy for.
    People who are obese because they eat loads a crap and get no exercise, I struggle to find any sympathy for.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    What about young people? Young people probably have a higher obesity ratio than older people. I would blame sedentary lifestyle plus poor self-control. Sitting in front of the computer most of your life doesn't do it (believe it or not, I should be under 170 lbs now at 6'5''), but watching dumb violent cartoons and eating out of laziness can do the job. Still, I would blame younglings but those who don't show them the positive way, if anyone at all. After all, their parents already don't have it easy to bring the money home. School maybe? I think schools nowadays teach you to be happy with yourself instead of improving, so this might be it.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Many people in the West just have too easy a life. They never walk anywhere and they don't have to do much manual labour and they eat rich fatty rubbish. Medical disorders do not come into the picture (unless there has somehow been a mutation in the human gene pool that means there are more people with a genetic predisposition to obesity, which I doubt).

Chev is right that the parents should bear most of the responsibility.

Some countries are worse than others. My experience in London shows that that place is much worse than NZ. In London, hardly anyone did any outdoor recreational activities (surfing, tramping, mountain biking etc) and they spent most of the time in the pub drinking pints of beer and eating chips. Many English men are even proud of their 'beer bellies' which means that they don't even see it as a problem.

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Attending Auckland University I 'never' see any fat people (well, at least fat in an unhealthy way). If this has something to do with common sense, lack of funds or the sheer distance one has to walk to get to Auckland University (parking is horrible) well I guess that explains it. However, in New Zealand we don't have that many fat people. No real idea why, you could point it to every guy's dream of becoming an All Black, or Black Cap or Black Sox (national sports teams for you Americans out there) but they have those dreams in other countries too... maybe it's just a bit more dominant in our society.

Who is to blame? The consumer obviously. Nobody is forcing these people to eat those fatty foods or eat them that regulary. But everyone knows the modern trend is to blame your failures on someone else so I guess McDonalds will get the rap for it.

15. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

We have only had McDonalds under 15 years so most people are still preparing food from fresh meat and veg. I think these fastfood companies prey on poor areas as they offer a cheap and fast alternative to even supermarket foods.

We do not get many obese people here, but we then again we are very interested in cycline and hiking so its easy to burn off those greasy burgers.

16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    @Newfie.... Possibly. In America obesity is the second major issue in health care (and gaining rapidly on smoking). It has wide effects on health and the cost of care (diabetes, high blood pressure, heart problems, etc.). Most of these problems are avoidable through simple diet and exercise. There are very few overweight people that actually have a medical condition causing the problem -- most just have bad habits. Unfortunately, too many Americans just want a pill to 'make it all better' and are unwilling to do what it takes to correct those habits.

I simply dislike paying for the laziness of others.

Edit: I'm not talking about those people who are heavier than the movie stars that could blow away in a light breeze -- that's a illusion of beauty that we, in general, have fallen for (IMO Bridget Jones is more attractive than Roxie Hart). Obese is much different than 'being a little overweight' (which is really the upper range of healthy).

[ April 05, 2005, 16:15: Message edited by: T2Bruno ]

17. Newfie Banned

That's perfectly understandable, T2 Bruno. If the whole has to suffer for lazy people, then that's a normal point of view. How do you get those lazy asses off the couch though? They are perfectly happy with the way they are.

I have found out overindulging in anything is usually never too good for you. I am currently paying the price for too many sweets with a toothache that is driving me up the wall. As the saying goes "everything in moderation". I am just thankful it is a toothache and not a heart attack I am suffering. Maybe awareness is the problem. If I had of known that my consumption of sweet stuff would have caused me this much pain, then I am sure I would have watched it. That's why a heart attack might be their wake up call. But a toothache doesn't kill.(although I beg to differ some days)

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Great point. My whole philosophy is based on the thought that excess is bad. Most of people's problems, especially in the social or moral area comes from inability to control oneself, which comes from seeing no need to deny oneself anything or even moderate it. But this is the topic for another discussion.

19. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Self moderation and self control is all nice and good but the fact that remains that person can live a quite unhealthy life without getting overly obese while person b would be quite obese doing the same. This isnt about glandular issues or medical problems but simply that we are wired differently. Some people can never get fat no matter what and others put on five kg by looking at a pizza. I remember in my early teens when I trained football twice a week and on every other afternoon played other sports with my friends and I was still the chunky one.

20. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I have to admit I don't really have anything to complain about. My fast matabolisim (sp?) has so far made me impervious to the effects of fatty food. Never in my life have I weighed over 70kg (about 150 pounds I think). I eat fast food at least once a week and some weeks I have it once every day. However I only have a moderate meal each sitting (one combo for example) unlike those huge people who you see eating an entire pizza in 30 minutes or ordering a nuber 3, a number 5 a number 6 and two number 8s.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.