1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Off to Thailand

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Abomination, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

[​IMG] So my posts may become a bit sporadic. I'm there for two whole months :) Damned if I know what I'm going to do there for 2 months but I easily had enough money to stay there that long so I decided to. Might try seeing how another country lives.

I'll be sure to purchase a number of cheap and probably nasty things while I'm over there for all to enjoy when I get back to New Zealand. Any suggestions?

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You bastard!

I have been thinking about using up all of my saved money and go to Thailand for longerish stay myself after I fix my diploma in January.

3. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Sounds wonderful! Have a great time! :roll:

4. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Damn. Damn you. I still have to collect another 10 airmiles to get across town.

5. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

if you are maie, saa-waa-dee-kap
    if you are female, saa-waa-dee-kaaaaaa
    That's mean hello in Thai.

If you go the Pattaya beach, near Bangkok, don't miss out Tiffany's, not the new york jewery store, the transvestite show. As long as they don't speak, they are more women than women. (you said you wanted to see different things)

Depends on how daring you are, do try food of their roadside stall. Only from roadside stalls you can taste the real taste of Thai. Some has issue with sanitary but this is my least consideration. Thai food are generally spicy, sour and sweet.

Without saying, buying anything not in a mall or recognized chain (as in franchise) store involves bargain. Cut the price at least 75% and go from there. You have no idea what people will do for living.

And ah, don't go to southern Thailand. Terrorists.

i am not Thai, i am just from Malaysia. i am teekc and i approve this message.

Actually, why go Thailand? Come to Malaysia, the poeple are friendly here. Even the sun shines with golden ray that you can't find it else where. We speak English, and we love your money, i mean, you, not your money, just you, we like to make friends.

6. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

hmm, buy a handmade suit. 2 days and it is done.
    or you could wander the streets. the little old ladies wandering around with big baskets generally sell food. whatever you do DON'T touch your index fingers together infront of your chest. it means you are looking for transvestites. the street walkers are very agressive and generally won't take no for an answer. also don't carry a wallet/purse. put your identification in your sock and your cash in your hip pocket. pickpockets are very good and in a large abundance(learned this the hard way). otherwise be careful after dark and have fun.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I remember some ads from EuroSport. "Malaysia truly Asia", eh? :spin:

Do tell us if Thailand was as polluted as they say, or that is at least what a thai buddy told me ages ago. Nasty trouble with illegal wood-cuttings too (--whatever the correct word is--).

8. Arahar

From my perspective it wasn't polluted just run down. It's definately a third world country. In fact my first thought was: This place is a dump.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Have fun, Abomination. Enjoy the fantastic (and cheap) food. Make suere you venture out of the tourist traps if you can. Bring us back a "Tag Heuer" watch.

10. Rolsuk Fryulee Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Have a good time Abomination!

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah, why not scope out the local Muay Thai kickboxing gyms while you're there? I'm thinking about going there for maybe a week of training... but I'm currently broke (am about to blow my money on an mp3 player :D )

12. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    My mate goes to Thailand for most of each year, he loves it there.

Have fun.

13. Abomination Gems: 26/31

I've tried the food stalls on the side of the road, had me on the toilet for a good part of a week. I avoid the department stores like the plague but now I only eat at chain stores because I don't want to risk getting sick again.

I actually plan on getting a tailor made suit since every man should have one :)

On the note of pollution I wouldn't be a good judge of that. I'm from New Zealand, a damn clean country by modern standards. However, the fact that the only clear water you can see is in swimming pools and you can't drink the tap water. Rubbish is everywhere and you can't get a tan in cities because the constant smog works like a big damn umbrella blocking out all those nice UV rays but keeping the heat in... DAMN it's hot. There are dogs everywhere as well. If you're an avid animal lover I wouldn't suggest coming since you'll spend all your money feeding the stray dogs.

I'm going to ride an elephant today of all things and probably go to Puket soon. Got myself many a DVD and video game ($10 US average for legit copy).

The people here are MAD too. They wear sweaters in 25 degree (celcius) weather! The roads are a death-trap yet there are so few accidents the mind boggles.

However, it's a great place. It's a cheap place to go for a holiday, the weather now is BRILLIANT (always warm) and I've been lucky enough to find myself a sweet nurse who helps me with any translation problems.

Funny moment was seeing a monk purchase illegal copied software of all things. Still, come here! It's cheap and fun.

14. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Uh... no thanks, I think I can find some more interesting places. Like our local toilet. Yeah.

15. Arahar

Beware of the offroad elephant's they like to climb up cliffs and it's a major blast.

16. Abomination Gems: 26/31

In case none of you have read my thread in the Alley, I'm currently suffering problems due to a nasty wave flooding my hotel.

I'm alive, I'm well, I've got money, my passport and other important documents in a safebox in Bangkok (which hasn't been flooded). So I've only been set-back by these events. I've got insurance and if it doesn't cover me for this then there'll be hell to pay. If there is an 'act of God' clause then the church better fork out :p I've had to stay in a ****hole of a hotel (I mean ****hole - roaches, insects and probably a few deadly spiders seem to be permanent residents. When sleeping on your mattress and another person isn't sleeping with you, you still aren't sleeping alone.

I know I should be happy to be alive considering people have been killed, but the Thai people have been nothing but trying to screw me out of my money. Prices have hit the sky simply because I'm a tourist and I've got no damn choice but to stay at some place or take some taxi somewhere. The local residents get the same service for the origional price, which is about one tenth what they charge tourists.

Methinks I'm going to claim for things lost that I didn't have in my room if I've lost anything - just to pay for the insane prices I've been charged recently.

17. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Dude you're lucky :eek: . 11000 casualties so far. Did the Tsunami reach you literally there?

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nearly 20k dead by now... damn, you were lucky there Abomination. Just get out ASAP.

19. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    Isn't there a way out of there Abomination? I'm sure your government has some kind of rescueservice up and running. Some of the countries here in Europe have made great efforts to get there countrymen back home.

20. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

It just occurred to me today that you were still in Thailand, Abomination. I hope you make it out alive and well.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.