1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Oh Helmet, My Helmet

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Death Rabbit, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was always a bit disappointed in the helmets in BG2. Mainly because you recieve the Helm of Balduran so early, I kind of expected the Helms to get better as the game progressed, and they didn't really. I still had that helm throughout the entire game. Anyway, I thought I'd start a thread on them.

What are your favorite helms in the game? Which are the best for which classes, and why? Do you wish, like me, there were more in the game?

Also, the description for all helmets states "Protects against critical hits." Well, what does this mean exactly? I've always wondered this, even since BG1. Do they make you immune to critical hits, or do they just reduce your enemy's chances to score one? And if so, by how much?

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I'm pretty sure that helmets avert all critical hits. Which is funny, when you consider that a critical hit might also be a hit in the heart, eye, genitals, etc.

Me, I only use helmets out of necessity, because usually I dislike having them to make my characters' avatars look bad. Cernd's and Viconia's avatars look silly with a helmet. Just my aesthetical preferences.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Aerie in a helmet :rolleyes:

Yes, Balduran one - with horns :D

For my character Helm of Glory, always. For some specific encounter when I would send him to the battle alone, I could take some other helmet for specific resistances, but I'm certainly too lazy to remove it for AC purposes.

4. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Nah, not all helmets make you immune to critical hits. I'm not really sure if there are any in SoA that do. But, my personal preference is the Helm of Brillance. Prismatic Spray, ah, good special ability. Really softens up the baddies.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Helm of Balduran is usually my first choice; Helm of Charm Protection is my second. I agree that Helms are generally lacking, though. And I’m like chevalier; worrying about the measly AC bonus is not worth the effort.
    And yes, DarkGoddess, SoA Helms offer critical hit protection.

6. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

But, in my book, protection and immunity are two different things. Heck, I mean, my chars have still had the crap knocked out of them and wore helmets that offered protection, but not immunity.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Here is what I understand about critical hit protection:
    It prevents the 2X damage (you just get 1X)
    The feedback screen might show you received a critical hit even though it was only 1X
    It's possible that all helmets offer critical hit protection (not sure about this; I seem to recall reading it somewhere)

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You just don't get extra critical damage and this applies to all helmets. Otherwise I would walk around bare-headed as normally in roleplaying.

9. Drumheller Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Yup, anything worn in the helmet slot protects against critical hits, even ioun stones and special items like that burial mask in Firkraag's dungeon. Intentional or not, it's simply the way the game engine works. I like the Helm of Balduran because of the saving throw bonus. I would always take saving throw bonuses over better AC, if I had to choose.

10. 14 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I agree. Most helms look ugly. And unless my portrait has horned helms(which it never does) I never wear Balduran's helm. Only Korgan wears it, nobody else does.
    I have an off-topic question. Why a bare-headed elf looks like a monkey in the game screen ??? Aren't they meant to be handsome folks? I love to try F/M/T etc, but I can't stand looking like a monkey!

11. TheBard Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Have to say my favorite helms are the two made with the upgraded mod. LOL

One combines the Charm Protection and the Helm of Defense into an Uberhelm..

The other upgrades the Charm helmet into an "antipsionics" helmet... awesome.

12. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Hmmm I normaly use the Ioun Stone that regenerates or the one with the Saving throw bonus. Although on my last run through I acidently left the mask from Firkrags Dungeon on all the way through the game :o

13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Do the Ioun stones protect against critical hits though?

14. Willowisp Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I've read somewhere... Maybe Balderdash or Weimer, that the reason that amges can't wear Ioun stones, which in reality they should be able to is that due to the game engine, anything you place in the helmet spot will grant protection against critical hits and so any mod that is added to make Ioun stones universal is considered cheating rather than bug correction, by TBG. The coding for anything placed in the helmet spot granting critical hit protection is apparently so fixed and integrated that it cannot be changed.

I don't know whether this is a rumor or fact. So please don't attack me if you think you know better.

Edit: This is from Baldurdash.org

Wormy Hellcar's Universal Ioun Stones are items I'd love to include in the Bugfixes, but the developers have stated that they really did want to restrict mages, bards and other characters who can't wear helmets from using them, though they were invented in AD&D by a mage for mages. This is in reality probably due to a hard-coding in the Infinity engine whereby anything in the "head" slot protects against critical hits as a helmet and this ability can't be removed. Here they are for all characters to use if you can't get them from Wormy's page...

15. Death Rabbit

Media:
    :evil: He he hee Thanks! That's good to know!

ps - Love the avatar! :thumb:

16. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Willowisp, correct me if I read you wrong, but mages can wear Ioun Stones.

17. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Only way mages can wear ioun stones is if you have installed a "fixpack" that allows it. A default game with official patch does not permit this. Although any character, mage or otherwise can wear the mask of strom found in firkrag's dungeon.

18. Jake Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

all my characters (they're all elves, of course :D )use ioun stones, no helmets, not even balduran's. elves just look so much better without helmets. besides, balduran's looks so huge and doofy on an elf's head :rolleyes:

19. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I have no fixpacks installed and have always been able to equip mages with Ioun stones with or without ToB.

20. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Same here -- I always have a good Ioun stone like the regenerating one on my mages -- Imoen in particular needs all the help she can get in the AC / defense department. Of course, the circlet of Netheril also is good . . .!

As for helmets for my other characters, I like the fact that there's lots of charm protection helmets -- I HATE being dire charmed, especially since sometimes all you can do is shoot a dispel magic into the middle of the fight, which undoes a lot of good buffing in addition to uncharming the victim. IIRC, though, Remove Magic does a nice job of that without hosing the rest of the party.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.