1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ortiz vs. Shamrock (UFC)

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Ilmater's Suffering, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] How disappointed was everyone who watched this? I know, I know, Ken was massively out classed, but I wasted two hours of my life just to see Ken Shamrock go down in the "few seconds" of the fight. He royally got manhandled. Well here's to hoping Ken stays retired this time as that's where he belongs. Shamrock WAS a great fighter.

The fights before hand weren't particularly great either.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

No idea what you are talking about.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm with you, IS. I was really disappointed. I was rooting for Shamrock personally. I thought it would have lasted at least until the second round. But luckily for me I flipped it on just as the Ortiz/Shamock match was starting, so really the only time wasted for me were the two minutes of the actual fight. ;)

@ HB - So what else is new? :lol:

Seriously though - UFC stands for the Ultimate Fighting Championship, which is basically extreme anything-goes cage-match fighting. Ken Shamrock was basically the first major champion of the sport and a big reason why it became so popular. Tito Ortiz is kind of the new kid on the block, and recently lost his UFC title to the current champ Chuck Liddel. Shamrock and Ortiz have had a long-standing rivalry that got personal - they basically hated each other. They've fought twice before this. Ortiz won the first, Shamrock demanded a rematch. During the rematch, the ref stopped the fight early and declared Ortiz the winner, which was a bit of a controversy. Ever since there's been a lot of trash talking on both sides. Tonight's fight was intended to settle the score, even though there was no prize or title involved. Ortiz was the favorite to win, partly because he's damn good, but also because he's 11 years Shamrock's junior. Shamrock lost via TKO in just under 2 minutes.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I want to see Chuck smash that cocky little gits head in again.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Truth be told, I've lost a lot of interest in UFC over the years. I like the old school UFC. No weight classes, no rounds (well technically there were rounds, but you never actually saw a fight go into round 2), laughing when you saw a guy come to the ring wearing a single boxing glove, or having "JESUS" written across his forehead, and knowing he had no chance of winning. Good times indeed.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, I agree with you there. Back when it first started there was more variety in the fighting styles. Now it's ALL shoot fighting (aka mixed martial arts, aka grappling). In general, I've always thought UFC was kinda overrated. Either you had the fights that would last 10 seconds (guy gets his jaw broken, ref stops it) or it lasted for hours (Royce Gracie may be good, but GOD DAMN he's boring to watch in action). I blame myself for that, though - I never should have expected real martial arts fighting to be anywhere near as entertaining as it is in the movies. ;)

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I think that Shamrock's strategy was his downfall. He is a decent striker, but his bread and butter is submisions, which requires you to hold off for them to make a slight mistake then they're tapping out before they know they're screwed...

Ortiz on the other hand, comes right in, throws you down to the mat and pounds the living hell out of you.

The Second time, Shamrock was looking for his openning while Ortiz was pounding the snot out of him, so the ref thought Shamrock was in trouble. The third time, Big John McCarthy knew the signs to look for , and stopped it at the right time.

It was the fest fight on the card, but way too short.

8. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    It's especially disapointing since that's exactly how Ortiz vs Shamrock 2 ended... At leats this time, though, Shamrock gave a better defense before being pounded.

Personnaly, I hate Tito's cockiness and his lack of sportsmanship. That's why I was rooting for Shamrock (who I don't think is a good fighter, now anyways). Since Shamrock was unable to shove Tito's words down his throat, I'll settle with the image of Randy Couture spanking Ortiz... (don't remember in what UFC fight night it was, but man was it hilarious!)

9. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I think that sooner of later the book will be out on ORtiz, then he'll get spanked more often and be forced into tougher fights...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.