1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Own group!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Kotka, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Kotka Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I was thinking about making my own group fully and playin it through to game.(no npc`s)
    So, any suggestions?Is kensai good?I was thinking about that!And what about monk?Good?Any help would be appreciated!(especially about the kensai class/kit!)

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

You should be able to find many posts on this by doing a search. :)

A short "standard" suggestion for SoA (not for ToB!):
    Inquisitor
    dc Kensai-9/Mage
    mc Fighter/Thief
    Sorcerer

That's four characters, enough for anything IMO. If you want more you could add a Monk since there is no Monk NPC. Clerics and Druids are not my cup o' tea. :)

[ November 28, 2002, 19:50: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

3. Demogorog Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

What about:

Kensai/Mage
    Kensai/Thief
    Kensai
    Archer
    Archer
    Sorcerer

Lalalala...did I mention that I always powergames threw the games, except that I solo but a party is a party of six.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I do like to have a cleric now and then as healing is pretty practical now and then. Try a Ranger/cleric, it rivals the kensai/mage for power. Wicked tank and awesome spellcaster with both druid and cleric spells. Dual of course, around level 9 ranger and then cleric.

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, this is what I want my party to be when I start my next game. I hope it'll work pretty well.
    • PC - Stalker/Mage
    • Assassin/Mage
    • Cleric/Mage
    • Sorcerer
    • Undead Hunter/Mage
    • Mage
    If you haven't noticed, I really like mages. :rolling:

6. Karunirin Rochambeau Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I like this combo:

E Fighter (5 prof. longbow)
    HO Barbarian
    HE F/M/T
    Hu Sorcerer
    E F-T
    HE C-R

So each balances the others' weaknesses.
    Two half-thieves = 1 good thief, and a C-R gets all the priest spells. Elves get +1/+1 naturally to longbow. This is actually one I used and fleshed out over BG2 and ToB. They worked very well, actually. With a 7th and 8th I would have:

D Fighter
    Ha Thief

7. Hardcase Von Crudd Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I just finished SOA with a generated party of four, so here are some things I learned:

The party:
    Dwarven Fighter/Cleric (main character)
    Halfling Fighter/Thief
    Half-Elven Fighter/Mage/Thief
    Half-Elven Cleric/Mage

The main character (Dwarf) was a tank (AC -15) and this was handy because the main character sometimes has to do things on their own. Being almost 'unhittable' was a big help.

The halfling concentrated his thief abilities on hiding in shadows and pickpocketing. He also concentrated on dual wielding swords and became an excellent backstabber, scout and general killing machine. He was the most fun to play.

The F/M/Th was a bit dull, but she concentrated her thief abilities on detecting and setting traps and was indispensable.
    It's very handy having two thieves in the party so one can concentrate on backstabbing while the other concentrates on disarming traps.

The cleric/mage was the party's spell caster. She grabbed every spell she could get, loaded up on scrolls and wands and equipped every item that would give her more spells per day.
    She usually stood at the back and laid down a barrage of artillery on anything that got too close.

I kept two slots free for NPCs so they would join, I'd do their quest then boot them out.

To be honest, I don't think the party needed the F/M/Th.
    I also found the cleric abilities/spells not that useful with one big exception - turning undead. There's a lot of undead in this game and turning comes in very handy.

If you're making your own party, I think you need the following ingredients (in order of importance):
    - disarming traps
    - turning undead
    - mage (so you can use scrolls and wands)
    - stealth (for scouting and backstabbing)
    - strength (for carrying all that loot)
    - a character who can 'tank' it and block for your weaker characters

:hmm: Consider this:
    If you don't want to play a mage, play a human mage then immediately dual class into the type of character you really want to play. A mage(6)/fighter(15) can use all the same scrolls and wands that a mage(18) can. You get to play the fighter, but you can also use all the mage goodies. You don't need to bother memorising any spells if you don't want to.

[ November 30, 2002, 05:39: Message edited by: Hardcase Von Crudd ]

8. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Human Thief
    Human Fighter
    Human Cleric
    Human Mage
    Human Sorcerer

Always works for me.: )

9. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] I don't like DC and MC characters. Concentrate on what you are best in, I say.

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG]
    This is not IWD2 or NWN! This is 2nd edition AD&D (more or less). Here - with the xp cap - you can dual class without losing levels.
    For example, what is more powerful of the following two?
    - Fighter-9/Wizard-17
    - Wizard-17
    Of course everyone knows the answer so the question is purely rhetorical. :D

Some classes you can't dual or multi class, but that naturally means those classes can't be included in this discussion.

A little note to end this post:
    Dual classing is fantastic in SoA, but not so in ToB (multiclassing rules ToB). Something to keep in mind if you want to continue with the same characters.

[ November 30, 2002, 17:15: Message edited by: Earl Grey ]

11. Jim Babwe Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

My party consists of the following and having been through all but the Tree of Life and Bhaal's Realm, they are really overpowered at this point.

Human Monk - lvl 19
    HO Barbarian - lvl 18
    Elf Archer - lvl 16
    Elf Sorcerer - lvl 18
    Halfling Assassin - lvl 21
    Dwarf Priest of Helm - lvl 19

Pretty much nothing is a challenge with this party at these levels. I killed Irenicus Black Dragon in about 2 minutes without buffing up and just beating on it, no fancy tactics needed. The monk is invincible at this level but struggles a little early on. Barbarian is a one man wrecking crew and can destroy rooms full of enemies by himself, including all of the golems in Suldanesellar. It is almost laughable how easy the game gets once you reach high level.

12. Hassassin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

My favorite :

Inquisitor
    Kensai
    Swashbuckler
    Sorcerer
    Cleric

Inquisitor - "main battle tank" - absorbs spells and damage, high saving throws, and dispel magic / true sight is really helpful

Kensai - "tank destroyer" - vulnerable, but great for killing non-boss monsters fast, and killing the bosses / wizards once the defense is down

Swashbuckler - "scout vehicle" - scout / thieving abilities, in higher levels useable as a tank (does not take damage, evades damage)

Sorcerer - "artillery support" :D

Cleric - "logistics" :D

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I've got a party like this right now:

R/C - Dual wields flail of ages/+2 mace of disruption with Crom in the off hand
    Inquisitor - Carsomyr mostly with Silver Sword or Halberd of choice
    F/T - Dual wields Katanas and Long Swords
    Monk - Hands mostly
    F/M - Axes and shields (quarterstaff backup)
    Sorc - Staff of the Magi

I've had almost no trouble at all, even with the tactics mod.

14. Kenny42 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Earl Grey wrote:
    I'm with you there. If you want powerful characters in BG2 dualclassing is the way to go.
    3 000 000 XP can give you;

a/ a level 21 Cleric
    or
    b/ a level 9 berserker (250 000 xp)/20 Cleric (2 700 000 xp)

Easy choice? :rolleyes:

[ December 03, 2002, 14:31: Message edited by: Daniel ]

15. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    @Kitrax-

I thought Paladins can't dual class?

16. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Paladins can not dual class.

My team:
    Human fighter/cleric (Dualled to cleric at 7th level)
    Elven sorcerer
    Elven swashbuckler
    Human Inquisitor or Cavalier or Monk (I like the monk)
    2 npc's for banter/romances/char quests.
    (Minsc & Aerie are my choices)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.