1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Party composition

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Mishga, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Mishga Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Is it better to solo multi-play with six of your own characters or play one character and use the NPCs? Do you need any of the NPCs for major quests? I think it would be more fun to play six characters all the way through BG1/2, ToSC, etc. Just a newbie question. Thanks.

2. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] In BG joinable NPCs are interesting but not really needed. They add to the plot and flavor of the game but are not quest critical. This changes in BG2. In BG2 NPCs have a lot more scripting and interact a lot. Each NPC has a personal quest and a important role. I messed around with the multi-player party concept but I enjoyed BG2 much more using the NPCs in the game. If you use your own PCs you lose a lot of depth and enjoyment.

3. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

In bg1 I have more fun playing with my oun party (however i still use Imoin as my thief) normally this consits of a figheter, a paladin, a cliric, a cliric/illushionist (Gnome) a conjurer and a Imoin as a thief.

As for bg2 I havent played it yet.

[This message has been edited by kemanmaldea (edited August 02, 2001).]

4. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Playing with a whole party is good however you shouldn't make your party-members too strong, otherwise it would be to easy. But some NPC's belong to the game in my opinion. I played with 4 characters I made by myself and had Imoen and Minsc also in the party... But unfortunatly Minsc wanted to be with Dynaheir so I ended the game with a party of 5.

5. Malekith Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

i think its still cooler with NPC's! My partymembers were jaheira and her lover Khalid, Kivan, Imoen and That cleric u free with a stone to flesh scroll (she's a fine woman!)This Party proved pretty leathle!

6. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Personally I think it makes the game more of a challenge to play with the npcs, so I recommend that. The main PC is usually custom tailored to do the job that you want him to do, but the npcs are very mediocre (mostly). Also its great sometimes when a bunch of them get splattered to chunks and you have to fight your way our of a dungeon with a reduced group and search for new npcs.

7. Gopher thighs Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'd more or less go with Voltric on this one - I've played BG1 through with the NPC's (at the end was Kivan, Khalid, Jahera, Quayle, Imoen)and I'm currently going through with an entire party(including Imoen) created from scratch - "The Candlekeep Six", but also currently in BG2, you'll miss a lot of the interactions between the NPCs if you import an entire pre-made group

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.