1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PC or Apple Mac

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sir Dargorn, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

So this is the big question isn't it.
    My friend has an apple mac and he loves it. So much that he has become a pc hater.
    The only reason why apple mac is not more widley used is it's lack of decent word programs and game facilities.
    But now these have been greatly improved and there are rumours of word being availible on mac soon!

So who is going to be the king of the future.
    I would love to hear your opinions!

2. Apple macs sucks. Period. No question about it. And tell your friend to get real and get a PC.

3. Azirath Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Macs have their upsides, and downsides, but PCs rule all the way. ;) I do not feel like getting bogged down in pointless arguments, all I wanna say is, go with the PC.

4. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Tell me is your friend a Compputer graphics artist.

The reason I ask is that from what I can tell a huge amout of the people one doing Computer Graphics profesionally do so on mac programs.
    Dont know why B/c from what I can tell the PC stuff is just as good.

5. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

no my friend is a 16 film obsessed freak who thinks he can make good movies but he is actually rubbish at it.

6. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Dual Macintosh G4 800 MHz processor is 80% faster than Pentium 4 1,7 GHz in Photoshop :D.

But we want to play games, don't we? We need PC.

7. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] Um, PC's rule.

8. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The traditional argument that Macs are graphically better than PCs used to have some validity. However, with add ons that are available for the PC, there is very little that one cannot do on either machine.

Realistically, a Silicon Graphis machine or a SunSparc puts both lines to shame both graphics flexibility and speed wise, but only at the price of - well, cost.

So, on the home front, which will rule - PC or Mac? I think the answer is obvious...PCs have established such a large market share that Macs can never recover though this was not the way it had to have become (Apple made some very very poor marketing decisions remember pricing for the Lisa at $10,000/unit?). Unless and until Apple makes something indisputably better than the PC, which also runs people's legacy software (Windows), I think Apple will continue to be relegated to the ranks of "also rans"....

But, that is just one opinion....

9. LOL, your talking about Ben arent you Dargorn?
    I personally think they are both excelent at what they are designed to do - macs-bussiness,graphics PC - games,bussiness

10. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

PCs

the nightmare from 1st year computer science using macs still has yet to regress

11. Elendil Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Can you install some program from a pc on a mac? Do you need to buy a mac version?
    I know that there are mac versions for games. But do they always come out at the same time as the pc version? Do they come out at all, for some games?
    I think that the mac version of BG2 has been released much later than the pc one. And, I have never heared of a mac version of...let's say Planescape Torment. So, judging from that, pc is better for gaming.
    But I don't know about programs. Can somebody answer my question?

12. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

i am sure there are PC modes on macs - ive seen it before somewhere, macs running pc programs...

but could be wrong

13. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

pc f'course!

mac........pfff

14. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Virtual PC allows you to run PC programs on a mac.

15. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

I've always found two things very interesting concerning the PC/Mac relatiosnhip.

First, Microsoft writes the most popular/best selling office suite software for the Mac.... Always has sold more than even pure Apple stuff.

Second, though I know of PC emulator software for the Mac, I know of no software that works in the reverse direction (Mac --> PC).

16. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I-Macs are easy when they work, when they do not work, it's always is a big problem to make then work again. However for people who don't wanna play with settings etc, it is a good computer.

17. Sol'Kanar Guest

Well, I must say that in all honesty, the results of this poll are simply disgusting. PCs are just under Paladins on the list of things Sol'Kanar likes to burn. Perhaps there are more games to play on PCs, but as one who does not spend his life on computers I find that what we Mac users do get is more than enough to keep me occupied. My mac, a 500 mhz G4 runs at least as well as any PC i have ventured to use. That includes my friend's 900 and 1500 mhz PCs. But, contrary to the things I have said hitherto, I really think it's a matter of choice. It's almost as pointless as various religious debates I've seen through my so far short life. Does anyone really expect results hammering our opinions into other's minds?

18. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Errr, SolKanar, ever heard of INFORMED choice?

19. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Hmm, I see a possible scenario where a mac user flies an aeroplane into the Microsoft building...

Seriously though, had they offered the same flexibility in terms of hardware customization and software (games) available as a PC, I would definately have chosen a G4 based system.

[This message has been edited by Azardu (edited October 02, 2001).]

20. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

My last comment (probably) on this subject is that both PCs and Macs are heavily software dependent - meaning that each has specific areas where they shine and where they bog down. Just because a particular PC or Mac might run faster than some other PC or Mac running similar software does not mean that all of either genre are faster or slower than the second genre - even on average. Individual hardware configurations and system optimization procedures can have significant effects on most computer response time/benchmarking tests.

Photoshop is the best software example - and someone has mentioned it. Photoshop afficiandoes are generally unaware that the Adobe people tended to be Mac afficiandoes before they ever started porting the program to Windows. The initial code for Photoshop was optimized to take advantage of MAC architecture as it was better optimized early on for intensive graphics (though at the expense of other features). Thus, MAC users have had a signiificant lead in speed when using this particular program as a benchmark (then again, a VW is a "better" car than a Porsche - if you are speaking in terms of mpg/kpg). However, as add-on graphics cards for the PC platform have developed, this lead has eroded to the extent that of the two local TV statins where I live, one uses MACs and the other uses PCs for their graphics production.

So, I return to my original point - the market share of PCs makes MACs nearly superfluous for most people buying new computers - unless of course, they already WANT a MAC. It just doesn't make cost/benefits sense to purchase a MAC unless there is a specific program that show absolutely measurable speed (or other) advantages over the PC platform.

(BTW, I am not a MAC-hater. I have owned four different Apples over the past 15 years. However, I current own and run four Intel/AMD-based computers at home.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.