1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pet following its master

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by GilaMonster00, Jan 26, 2006.

1. GilaMonster00 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Has anyone had trouble with getting summoned monsters such as the invisible stalker or an animated dead skeleton warrior to follow the party from one floor/room to another (loading screen transition)? I can't seem to get them to follow, though if I return they are still there waiting by the door.

Thanks

2. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yes I have. Reason: They simply can't travel with you from area to area. And that's that; you'll have to live with it.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Summons don't (usually) follow you through the loading screen. They like to stay where you brought them to the Material plane. :)

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

The only exception comes from a mod. I believe Azure's wolf guardian will follow you, but that is a special case. Not even your familiar (if you've got one) can follow you, so make sure you put him in your pack before you switch areas.

5. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

the computer's summoned monsters on the other hand seem to be able to follow my PC through load screens just fine...

6. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Which is exploitable if you can manage it. Have a summon attack one of your characters, who then goes through the doorway, and your summon may follow. Some doors won't work, though.

7. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Actually familiars can and will follow you from area to area without having to be in your pack. What they can't do is make area transitions by themselves, without party members.

8. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If they didn't that would be pretty bad coding, methinks.

9. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

it makes for a wonderful tactic to separate liches from their precious pit fiends.

10. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Isn't there a mod/patch wich have corrected this?

11. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

@Ilmater's Suffering

How do you manage to seperate liches from their precious PFs? By luring PF through a doorway? Does it work? When I try to lure a PF, if the lich can't see any target, he casts a Teleport Field which teleports all of my party to him and dispels every protection on us. SO best way is having Prot.From Evil on EVERYBODY, if PF targets one without it, he will release 20D6 firebals, symbols and most importantly Remove Magic which will dispell all of the party. If all is protected from evil, PF just goes invisible via Imp. Invisibility. One can suggest he can wait after we took care of the lich.

NO!

As then again lich casts a trigger:Remove Magic, Chain LÄ°ghtning, Chaos, which dispels P. from Evil, which causes PF to target the party, so I first go for PFs. (finding them with True Sight EACH round, and they try to summon a new PF when near death)

Ah, and no body can touch a smarter lich in the first, ohh, 12 rounds or so as they cast Pfrom MWeapons a lot. Always a fun battle!

12. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Right after the Liche is done casting time stop I pull everyone out of the area, depending on the door way I just passed through, I send either someone else back through or the entire party back and send a runner down to the liche, while the liche is busy casting spells, he won't follow you, but the pit fiend will, get out of the area so he can't drop that fire ball on you. The pit fiend should either follow you through the door or be waiting on the other side. With your fighters pounding him, he won't be casting any of his little spells and the Flail of Ages or any other slow inducing weapon will help you get around the Pit Fiend's low AC.

Alternatively, you can cast mass invisiblity, pull everyone away before the liche can cast true sight and then send someone his way with non-detection and just wait until Mr. Liche's protecion from evil wears off. Actually what I found to work best is to send a non-invisible runner back so the pit fiend attacks you while the liche wastes all his precious spells on the pit fiend (the first time this happened the game cheesed so bad that the pit fiend got stuck on the liche so I didn't even have to worry about getting caught in the area of effect, also saved my mages from having to save vs. Wail of the Banshee).

13. Darkchanter Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

Summoned monsters won't go through a "whole party transition" doorway (the one's where the autosave kicks in). I've noticed that turned undead will, though.

14. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

In the core game without all of silverstar's insane mods then the Lich's won't summon you back. Just go in. activate them. take off out the doorway since they are usually in a little room of their own. You'll usually screw up their timestop. Wait a minute or so. Slip back in. then out. doing this two to 4 times usually has the lich follow you through the doorway without protections and right in the middle of your party. Promptly pound to death. No summoned pitfiend and if you do it right his time stop is wasted since it's one of the first things he casts. But this apparantly works only in the core game. Not Tactics and stuff that silverstar uses.

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Hehee I feel like...kinda...well, I love my insane mods, and it makes sense for me. Taking on a lich is a very dangerous attempt, and not for the unprepared. Seeing liches THAT smart in my games fill me with joy.

Core game is nice enough, but I really don't think I will have THAT much fun if I ever have to play an unmodded game again. Sorry. :(

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.