1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

PfMW and attack's special effect

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by abel, Jan 28, 2006.

1. abel Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Does anyone has any list on what effect is blocked by PfMW ? I know for sure that it blocks dispel's effect from carsomyr, elemental damage from weapons like FoA and the axes, and all those level draining monsters' attack. I just insta killed a lich just after it casted PfMW with azuredge though so apparently it does not offer complete invulnerability to all weapon effects. What about wizardslayer's spell disruption or antipaladin's "dispel-on-hit" ability ? vorpal effects ? Do they go through PfMW? If so I might consider giving wizardslayer a run next :D

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I think it makes you completely immune to all effects. In your lich's case, maybe you threw the axe just before the lich casted PfromMWeapons, while the axe was still flying in the air he casted it and when it made contact it was considered to be hit as the lich was not protected when you FIRST made the attack. This may cause you to think it bypassed PfMW, whereas it didn't.

3. Aahz Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I know the Wizardslayer's spell disruption gets through it. That's what's so great about them -- it gets through anything. If you turn on to-hit rolls in the feedback, anything that says "hit" applies spell failure, regardless of Stoneskin, Mirror Image, of Protection from Magical Weapons.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Really? I never realized this. I encounter WizardSlayer thugs in Athkathla streets on nights, thanks to some mods I have. They are normally tough, attack with arrows of dispelling, dispel you and add casting failure which makes them deadly. BUT once I cast PfMW they can not touch me! ANd after a few lover resistances, they are literally at my mercy! Should I polymorph them into a squirrel, petrfy to make a nice trophy, reduce into dust by disintegrate, or just zap/burn/freeze with powerful elemmental magics? :evil:

5. Aahz Gems: 7/31

Whatever you do, do it quick, because the spell failure is still stacking on.

To make matters even more fun, spell failure works on all sorts of things that aren't spells too -- Greater Whirlwinds, Barbarian Rages, Offensive Spins, Quivering Palms, Wing Buffets. Pretty much anything other than attacking, thief skills, turn undead, and bard song is affected. Heck, I remember one time I failed to change into the Slayer from that damn spell failure.

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^OK, if you say so... I really don't have much experience upon the subject. And don't worry, I can finish those thug buggers fast enough usually, but sometimes they are a pain in the a** as they use smart tactics, they have good party members (bounty hunter, conjurer, shadow druid, wslayer, berserker, fighter) and they gulp super healing potions a lot. But because of this they are excellent source of SUPER healing potions early in SoA.

7. Aahz Gems: 7/31

Yeah, I know the parties you're talking about. GM+Chaos is my preferred way to deal with them. Then they don't drink their potions so I get them all.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Wow, it is great to meet another player who actually loves challenge! Your idea is cool, I know chaos disables scripts but I rarely use them.

A Chain Contingency with 3 ABDHW make short work of them most of the time. :evil: That druid has low save vs spells, so a Flesh To Stone, or Finger of Death is enough to end her misery. Conjurer is tricky, she launches a sequencer with 3 flame arrows, have spell turning or the shield which reflects missiles back, and she is dead. :banana:

They are cool though, and their loot is worth thousands of GP each time! :thumb:

9. Aahz Gems: 7/31

Yeah, if I were soloing a caster or something of that nature, I'd do something along the lines of ADHW but in a party, I generally use my arcane casters to support, therefore they use the Chaos combo more often.

At the moment, I'm soloing a Bounty Hunter and his method generally involves trapping, hiding, sleeping, and running away. But he gets the job done.

10. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I think the effects of Azuredge, Mace of Disruption or Runehammer works through the PfMW as well. It could be that every time I saw that happen was because the swing had already started when the PfMW got up, but that would be freakish, because it happens fairly often.

11. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

@henkie:
    In that case, it must go through. Because while whether or not a missile weapon hits is determined at the throw, melee weapons are only calculated at the same time it hits and causes damage. There's no gap to take advantage of.
    I guess that means undead-killing goes through PfMW; good to know... :evil:

12. Prine Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

If this is true (I've not tested it), then it must be that the 'use EFF file' effect goes through protection from magical weapons.

The wizard slayer's spell disruption is just an 'on melee hit effect'. I wouldn't have thought those would go through pfmw, but if so then stuff like Hand of Murder and Sarevok's Deathbringer Assault must, as well.

13. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Ummm. Wizard slayer's affect doesn't go through Ironskins or PfMW's or the mantle spells in the core game. That may be some affect of the mod that added in the guys he was fighting. And if it is part of tactics then it's even more of a possibility. We should have Silverstar chime in on that. i've been able to time it right...Particularly against a force attacked Enemy to hit quite a number of times before their protections go up though even if they are spell triggered to seeing an enemy. With good timing I have watched liches blow their timestop and their gate spell. in the time it took me to break through their protection. it works on Irenicus in the core game of SoA too.

14. Prine Gems: 11/31

I so have to play a wizard slayer.

15. starwalker Gems: 16/31

If you do. Take the chance against one of the dragons. (My choice is the shadow dragon because your pretty much forced to face it in direct combat) then see if you can manage to hit it 10 times. when you do it just runs around trying to claw or maybe breath weapon you to death. Boots of speed and done right you can just run it back and forth through several round area affect spells and it will kill itself.

If you toe to toe firkraag you can also stop it from healing itself if you can get the hits in. Makes him a lot easier. The Druid in Twisted Rune is a piece of cake timed and fought right. The only thing that is spell like that I don't think it works on is beholders but I could be wrong.

Even with full spell failure though Contingencies will go off. Which is fitting. Those are spells that are already done cast before you came along.

[ January 30, 2006, 02:47: Message edited by: starwalker ]

16. Prine Gems: 11/31

I just tested this. Turned Edwin into an undead using NI. Bashed him with Azuredge, he failed his save and died instantly. Then I had him cast PFMW and bashed him again. Weapon ineffective, no instant death. Just to make sure he wasn't making his saving throw against Azuredge's undead disruption invisibly somehow, I hit him another 20 times with the axe. Nothing.

So, yeah, this doesn't work. PFMW blocks any and all weapon effects. You got lucky.

Also did a bit of testing on wizard slayers' miscast magic effect (which doesn't go through PFMW either, for the record). First, what it says in the kit description is actually wrong - spell failure is applied in increments of 25% for the wizard slayer's hit effect, not 10%, so you only need four hits to take a caster out of commission.

What I really wanted to know was whether it'd affect ForceSpell/ReallyForceSpell scripting actions in addition to just conventional casting, so I summoned a red dragon and hit it a bunch of times. Unfortunately it didn't make any difference to any of the dragon's powers, which are all scripted using ForceSpell and ReallyForceSpell. Didn't do anything against beholders either. So it only affects enemies who use the normal spellcasting procedure.

17. starwalker Gems: 16/31

If you hit it only 4 times it will still be able to cast. I've taken on pure spell casting characters. Hit them 5 times and not kill them which is a 50% fail and they still were able to cast. now as often as not and sometimes even more often they will fail their spell. But it does do only a 10% per hit affect. Along with screwing up a lich with the affect. I've also hit it several times before it's power kicked in and watched them still cast time stop before.

I'm not sure why you got it was 25% though. Did you look in the coding stuff for that?

18. Prine Gems: 11/31

Yeah, it's right here. SPCL132.EFF is the effect used. Increments casting failure by 25 for 30 seconds. The file doesn't exist in my override directory, so this isn't a mod or anything.

19. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

So I was right about PfMW protecting against simply everything, it is as if the weapon never touches the protected mage eh? It is a very powerful spell then, I should add. :thumb:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.