1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Pixie Familiar

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Good Thoughts, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Good Thoughts Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I have heard quite a bit of grouching about the AI in the game.
    However, I think I may be missing something as this is really annoying. My first time playing through as a wizard character and I picked a pixie familiar. Great at unlocking stuff- haven't even had a chance to find a trap yet as I just got started.
    However, she keeps charging into battle and all I want her to do is follow me around and pick a lock or something when I need it. Would be really cool to like throw her in my backpack or something but that does not seem possible.
    I keep unsummoning her because she is annoying me, but then I have to rest to get her back again if I want to unlock a chest?
    Does anyone have any advice for me here? Thanks.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You can use the radial menu to give the pixie some general instructions like "Attack Nearest" or "Stand Your Ground" or "Guard Me". These should be enough to stop her charging into battle and getting killed.

3. Good Thoughts Gems: 2/31

I tell her to do that and the next thing I know she is charging right into the next encounter! Isn't there like a scheme or something that I could apply?

She is so small that sometimes I even forget she is around until she is right in the middle of everything.

Also, I am assuming there is no penalty for her dying? Hasn't happened yet but I just started playing about 3 hours ago. Thanks again.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

If she dies then you lose 1d6 hit points which can be pretty tragic for a low level wizard.......

5. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Telling the pixie to stand her groud directly (that is, using her own radial menu) normally does the trick for me. The only thing is that you need to do that for every fight. If she flies to the fray, call her back using her portrait's radial menu and force her to stay behind.

IIRC, one of the dialog options with the pixie allows you to tell her the distance you would like she to keep from you. Increasing that distance may keep her away from harm if you are in front and are attacked. Just make sure to keep your henchman handy.

6. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Yup, you get a few points of magical damage for a killed familiar. No biggie, but annoying non the less.

The problem i had with my pixie was that i told her to stay her ground so she survived. Then i went on, cleared the whole dungeon, and arrived at the trapped chests. Now i need her and she's at the start of the labyrint with no option of calling her to me via radial menu because she's simply too far away. Then i run back to the start of it, till i can see her to order her to follow. Another run to the loot, disarm&open&loot and back out again.
    All in all, more trouble than it's worth. As hard as it is as a low level wizard, i'm leaning towards stalling my wizardly progress at a few levels to get these roguish disarm&open lock myself. These depend on Intelligence, so a solid bonus is guaranteed, always. Some rogue levels are needed, though non-rogues cannot disarm traps beyond DC35, just the ones you really need to ;)

7. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

World would have been much easier if you could arm that pixie with a Toothpick + wire, and some nails to fire of from a range of behind your wizard.

8. Harbourboy

I reckon its really easy to give your Wizard some good rogue skills by saving up skill points from each level up, given that you only need Spellcraft and Concentration and then piling them all into a one or two levels of of Rogue at a later stage.

9. Good Thoughts Gems: 2/31

Well. . . .
    Funny enough- I am getting the hang of the pixie. I have not seen her die but the one time. Since it doesn't take away a point of constitution (old BG2 fear) it is not that big of a deal even if she does so I let her just fly around with us.

One thing that she is doing better is stepping up and automatically unlocking things and clearing traps. I have gone through two of the city sections and am liking having her around.

Just as an aside, it seems like a heck of a nice advantage for a mage. I have the barbarian henchman- and with the pixie and my elf mage (long bow and long sword- nice!) I am having quite a bit of fun with this thing.

Thanks for all the input folks and happy gaming.

As always, keep those good thoughts.

10. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Rather than the radial menu, try using the voice commands for your familair and henchmen. Hit the "V" key and a little window should pop up on the lower left of your screen.

I've played enough NWN to know that typing "VEE" is "follow me" and "VEX" is stand your ground.

Another option is to download one of the improved AI mods from the player community at nwvault.com. These help improve familiars immensely.

11. Harbourboy

How on earth did you ever work out that VEE meant 'follow me'? Did you try out every combination to see what happened?

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Page 104 of the original NWN manual...

Oh, yeah and after the first 'v' a little menu pops up to give you the additional choices. (Oh, Sir Fink already said that :) )

13. Harbourboy

I bet that no familiars are of any use against the Greater Wind Zombie. The pixie would certainly go down in one hit.

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh yeah, I had the absolute toughest time keeping my henchperson alive in there. I would stand her in a corner and tell her not to move, but she would always eventually come out and attack that killer zombie monster. I had to juggle so many things at once in there to keep us both alive, but I eventually got it :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.