1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: An alternitive to buying SP's current products...

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Kitrax, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I’ve been searching around the net to find products that I can have ordered with custom logos for my site, but in the end, I found that the minimum order for any specific item has to be 25 or more. Now, let me just say, the items I've been looking for are of a more "professional" nature (USB flash drives, WiFi signal detector, and an emergency cell phone charger).
    Don't get me wrong...a thong with Merch's head on the front is nice and all...but it's not something I or my fiancé would ever wear...or want. :p

Now I don't have the need or the money for 25 of any one item, but it got me thinking... what if Tal offered these items for SP? Would people buy them? The way I see it, for it to work, people would have to "sign up" for any of the items, and once Tal got a list of 25 or more people, he could then send in the order.

The items in question are:

Wireless Wi-Fi Finder
    Cost to Tal= $25.00 (each) proposed cost to SP members= $30 ($125 profit for SP/BoM)*

Custom Cell Phone Charger 2 Go
    Cost to Tal= $22.00 (each) proposed cost to SP members= $25 ($600 profit for SP/BoM)***
    Now, this one would be the hardest one to do, since the minimum order for this item is 200 for some reason...but look at the profits SP could make!

And for the item that I have been dreaming about:
    custom imprinted leather/metal 512MB USB Flash Drive
    Cost to Tal= $37.00 (each) proposed cost to SP members= $40-$45 ($75-$200 profit for SP/BoM)*
    This baby is beautiful. Flash drives don't get any better than this, and since it's protected by a metal body, so it'll last a lot longer than those lousy plastic flash drives. :thumb: :love:

So for the poll, the questions are:

Would you buy any of the above items to help support SP, and which ones?

(* remember that each item must be purchased 25 at a time, orders of 50 drop in price...so keep that in mind)
    (*** remember that the minimum order for this item is 200 at a time. $3 profit per item times 200 = $600)

Oh yeah, once you vote, don't forget to reply to show your support! :thumb: :rolling:

[ June 20, 2006, 06:05: Message edited by: Kitrax ]

Poll Information
    This poll contains 5 question(s). 9 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: An alternitive to buying SP products... (9 votes.)

As a reminder: you do understand that these items are ment to support SP, right? (Choose 1)
    * Duh! SP needs all the support is can get! (yes) - 89% (8)
    * No...but I do now. - 11% (1)

Would you buy any of the products in question to help support SP? (Choose 1)
    * Yes! I think this is a great idea! - 56% (5)
    * No! I'll just stick with my SP thong... - 44% (4)

Would you be seriously interested in buying the WiFi signal finder? (Choose 1)
    * Yes! That would be useful... - 11% (1)
    * No! I don't even know what a 'WiFi' is... - 89% (8)

Would you be seriously interested in buying the Emergency Cell Phone Charger? (Choose 1)
    * Yes! Disciple of The Watch would be proud! - 33% (3)
    * No! My cell phone is always 100% charged at all times... - 67% (6)

Would you be seriously interested in buying the leather/metal USB Flash Drive? (Choose 1)
    * Yes! Everyone needs a Flash Drive, and this is the best looking one around! - 56% (5)
    * No! 3.5" floppies will never die! (even though a 512MB drive= 461 floppy disks) - 44% (4)

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

One question I have is: what would they look like? Yes, I know there are pictures in the links, but what logo would it be? The goblin guy, or something else?

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sorry for being thick (as usual), but why do you want to have these electronic components customised with logos? A phone charger is something plugged in to the wall under my desk so I never ever look at it. I'm not trying to put a damper on your enthusiastic idea (honestly) but I'm really struggling to see the point.

Plus, I don't really know what a WIFI finder is.

4. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

At least you're honest about it. Had to poke fun out of you, Harbs.

This ain't a bad idea, Kit. But 40$ for 512 MB? Hell, I had my 1 GB for that price.

Could be a good alternative, though. Remains to see what our feared overloard will say about that.

5. Kitrax

Media:
    IMO, Merch has no place on these products. A simple: "Sorcerer's Place" on one side, and "www.sorcerers.net" on the back, "heat stamped" in to the leather...for the flash drive at least.

True, but these drives are cased in aluminum, and have leather on both sides. You're paying extra for style and ruggedness. :thumb:

Well...a WiFi *signal* is what computers use to connect to wireless networks and internet connections. The WiFi finder does just what it's name suggests. It finds a WiFi signal, and using LEDs, tells you the signal strength. If you're stuck at the airport for several hours, and you happen to have your wireless enabled laptop with you...wander around the airport with the WiFi Finder until you find a decent signal...then park your butt nearby and enjoy wireless internet! :thumb:

Have you ever gone traveling? Or been in a place where your cell phone dies while you're in the middle of nowhere and you need to make a call? Well, that where the charger comes in. It's an *emergency* phone charger, for those times where your cell phone's battery gives up the ghost unexpectedly... :thumb:

Anyway, I also found another site that offers custom lanyards, computer (optical) mice, external hard drives, USB flash drives, as well as other stuff. I'm in the process of getting info on all that...

Remember, I'm hoping that these will remain professional looking...in the sense that you could take them to work or college and not have to cover up the little green dude when ever someone walks by. ;) :rolling:

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Flash drives aren't that bad for logos, although I think nothing beats mugs in that regard. Mugs, mousepads, ties maybe? We don't have an SP tie, hehe. Imagine going to a serious meeting with a green dual-sabre-wielding goblin on your tie. :shake: You'd be the man! :shake: Maybe a fountain pen or something, because it's not like a casual pen falls under the $25+ category. At least not where I live. :p

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, I can see the point of logos on pens, mousepads, and mugs. Just never thought of putting logos on electric equipment. Surely a WIFI finder is tiny. Who would ever see the logo?

8. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I'd buy the flash drive and the charger because I could use both, but I'm not sure about the Wifi thingy

Good idea Kit :)

9. Kitrax

Media:
    Did you happen to take a look at the pictures in the links I gave? If you scroll down the page, they have an example of the WiFi Finder with the HP logo.

Chev, while I'm open to the idea of a tie...adding Merch to the tie would ruin the entire apeal. :skeptic: :rolling:

10. Harbourboy

Coincidentally, I am wearing my SP boxer shorts right now. But the boy has grown out of his SP baby suit and his SP bib is starting to get a bit grubby.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think this is a cool idea, but the problem is that I know we wouldn't get enough people to order even 25 of them at once. Even of the people who've voted that they would buy the stuff, half of them would probably change their mind once it came to actually paying for it.

I think the regular SP merchandise was a big enough excursion into this area of potential site supporting... it took dozens of hours of planning and work on my and Gopher's part, and in the end we sold some 20 pieces of merchandise in 2 or 3 years. At this rate, it won't even provide a return on the time invested (and the batch of items bought to see how they came out) in the next 10 years. So I'm pretty certain it wouldn't be any different here, unfortunately.

12. Harbourboy

Only 20 pieces? I bought 4! Are you saying that all the rest of you have only bought just over a dozen items between you? Shame on you.

Surely I am not the only person with SP boxer shorts and an SP T-Shirt......

13. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I would buy some of the current SP items but right now I am not using a credit card. It is either PayPal or transfer.

14. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I'm too picky when it comes to clothes to buy clothes online. Hmm, maybe I'll buy something.

15. Harbourboy

We're not talking about formal wear here, just some casual mess about t-shirts. But if you're that concerned about fashion, you could still get a mug or something.

16. Kitrax

Media:
    Well...for the current lineup of SP stuff, I really have no use for any of it. I could make a list of why I don't need any of it, but that would make for one long post.

I might buy some of the baby stuff...that is, if I ever have a little ankle biter running around. :p

Point taken. :bad: :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.