1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

POLL: Crom Faeyr: Worth constructing (spoilers within)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Klorox, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

This poll assumes party play

You have two options when it comes to this(these) very powerful item(s).

You can keep the pieces seperate:

Crom Faeyr Scroll
    Hammer of Thunderbolts (+3 Hammer; 2d4+3 dmg)
    Gauntlets of Ogre Power (STR=18/00)
    Girdle of Frost Giant Strength (STR=21)
    10,000 GP

Or combine them to create Crom Faeyr:

Crom Faeyr (STR=25; slays Stone and Clay Golems, Trolls and Ettins)

Poll Information
    This poll contains 1 question(s). 69 user(s) have voted.
    You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Poll Results: Crom Faeyr: Worth constructing (spoilers within) (69 votes.)

Crom Faeyr: Worth constructing (spoilers within)? (Choose 1)
    * Keep the items separate. They're more useful spread out in a party - 23% (16)
    * Crom Faeyr is the best weapon in the game! You've got to make it! - 77% (53)

2. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I checked: "Crom Faeyr is the best weapon in the game! You've got to make it!"
    I'm a bit biased, though. I wouldn't call it the best weapon in the game - but it's probably the best off-hand weapon in the game. And it's usable by most of the classes.

I would never make it without using it afterwards. I'd check "I make Crom when I have a character that can benefit from using it" if that was an option...

3. Razal'dar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

It is one hell of a weapon, maybe not the best though. I believe Carsomyr takes that award. It's best suited to Anomen if he passed his test. With the Crom Faeyr he's a great character. Shame about his voice.... :rolleyes:

4. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

My favorite combo is a dual-wielding Fighter/Cleric with FoA main and Crom off hand.

I always make it when I have Korgan, Anomen, or when my PC uses it.

5. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Not worth it. By the tme you get it, you're not going to see more than a handful of trolls, ettins, and golems, and most would not last more than a round or two anyway. Meanwhile you're depriving a character of a strength-enhancing item. Two characters with high STR are better than a single one with 25 IMHO. Even if you don't play with a lot of melee characters, a priest with a strength item and the Sling of Seeking can be pretty effective.

6. casey Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well there a re the fire trolls in the Marching mountains that this is helpful against, and also Nalia's keep if you have not done it yet, but with a nice balanced party some practice and some high levels trolls and Golems are not much harder without Crom then with it and unless you have a fighter duel weilding it is pointless since clerics have spells to get 25 str and they are the only other class that would ever use it. Otherwise keep the str items for other people since it will be more useful that way.

END OF RANT

7. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

'Tis good, but not the best.

Even Aerie can do 25-30 points of damage with it.

8. Crom the Powerfull Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I always use it, okay, you loose the girdle of frost giant strength, but someone else will still have the girdle of hill giant strength ( and later the girdle of fire giant strength ). Clerics can boost their strength on their own.the gauntlets of ogre power, just 18/00 , thats not THAT much better than the spell strength ( set to 18 ).

9. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I think that it is a toss up. I will use it, unless I think that the items will be better used spread out.

10. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Priest doesn't need str enhancing item. He's got plenty of buffs.
    And one killer with 25 str and Celestial Fury (or anything) is way better than two 21 and 18/00 kids.
    And Crom is +5, after all.

And it's sooo wicked...

11. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I plan to make it to my Dwarven berseker, who's at the begining of the game... :)

[Deleted TofB reference] - Beren

[ December 11, 2003, 17:18: Message edited by: Beren ]

12. Belmit Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

"I believe Carsomyr takes that award. It's best suited to Anomen if he passed his test."

Carsomyr are the sword obtained from Firkrag, aight´?

Can Anomen acutally wield that weapon? And can he put slots in "Two Handed Swords"?

13. Tronak el Karbaro Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Only if you have someone with 5 proficiency slots in warhammer your party. I play with four warrior types, and it's really cool having the weakest of them all with a 18/00 strenght score. Finally I managed to get fire giant and hill giant strength, and my character's own strenght beefed up to 19 in the Nine Hells. Worth having if you intend to play TOB afterwards.

14. Strifestrike Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Its worth throwing on ano, a R/C or F/C combo, korgan and thats really it. So is it worth it? Yes if you have those chars, its simply an amazing weapon, and is incredibly useful. However if you dont have those chars it probably aint worth it. Give the warhammer to cleric, and the strenght enhancers to tanks. Anyway ogre gauntlets arent that good.

15. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I find Ogre Gauntlets useful. I put them on my backline cleric (Aerie or Viconia) and give them Sling of Seeking.

A wee little lassie at the back suddenly becomes a 20+ damager per hit :D .... When they aren't casting spells of course.

16. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31

"Clerics can boost their strength on their own.the gauntlets of ogre power, just 18/00 , thats not THAT much better than the spell strength ( set to 18 )."

The second level mage spell Strength sets one person's strength to 18/50.

17. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Or the mage spell Strength of One which sets the parties STR to 18/50. That spell sux! :p

Plus, why even bother f ucking about with spells? If gauntlets do the job permanently! :s

18. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

If you have some one who can properly Dual-Weild Hammers (Just put one point in it if you want, for no penalties) its great. Or you need 3 points in Hammers, minimum.
    Else it just is not for you.

i too would prefer one 25 Str buffed meleer to take and deliver pain to two 18 n 21 str guys.

19. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

There are still two other STR boosting belts out there. I doubt you'll have any more than 3 tanks anyway...

20. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31

"Or the mage spell Strength of One which sets the parties STR to 18/50. That spell sux!"

No, Strength of One is a cleric spell.

"Plus, why even bother mucking about with spells? If gauntlets do the job permanently!"

Because maybe you don't have enough strength-enhancing items to go around, or perhaps the person you're boosting is already wearing gauntlets for something else, etc.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.